Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IEC Permit filled in wrong

Options
  • 21-03-2012 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi all,

I'm in a bit of a weird situation. Currently I'm trying to apply again for the IEC, I'm currently in Canada on my first one. I'm worried about the 18 month rule, so I'm weighing my options at the moment.

Anyway, my current permit has about 2 months left on it. but it should have almost 3. See, when I was getting my current permit, the border officer seemed completely clueless about even the existence of the IEC program! What she did was fill in my permit to be valid until May 18th 2012, even though the day I got it was June 11th 2011. I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be valid for a full year.

I got my LOI on May 18th 2011, so I think she mistakenly used that as the date. I tried to point it out to her, but she was incredibly rude and insisted it was right - I didn't want to force it too much because it seemed for a while that she wouldn't give it to me at all!

Anyway, has anyone ever had this problem? What do you think can be done about it? I had intended to let it go, but now that my current IEC application seems likely to be rejected because of the 18 month rule, I'd like to get the extra month back to have more time to sort out an LMO or whatever I need to do.

Thanks for reading!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭hellothere1

Danteryu wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm in a bit of a weird situation. Currently I'm trying to apply again for the IEC, I'm currently in Canada on my first one. I'm worried about the 18 month rule, so I'm weighing my options at the moment.

Anyway, my current permit has about 2 months left on it. but it should have almost 3. See, when I was getting my current permit, the border officer seemed completely clueless about even the existence of the IEC program! What she did was fill in my permit to be valid until May 18th 2012, even though the day I got it was June 11th 2011. I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be valid for a full year.

I got my LOI on May 18th 2011, so I think she mistakenly used that as the date. I tried to point it out to her, but she was incredibly rude and insisted it was right - I didn't want to force it too much because it seemed for a while that she wouldn't give it to me at all!

Anyway, has anyone ever had this problem? What do you think can be done about it? I had intended to let it go, but now that my current IEC application seems likely to be rejected because of the 18 month rule, I'd like to get the extra month back to have more time to sort out an LMO or whatever I need to do.

Thanks for reading!

I had the same issue, arrived at the island airport and she gave me a visa that would have expired 2 months early. I said it was wrong and she tried telling me it was right but then I told her I wasn't going to leave until it was fixed! She told me to wait and she went away to enquire, eventually she came back and fixed it!

I'm not sure how you can fix that problem, my guess is that you would have to cross the border and point out the mistake to them. Maybe try crossing the border now and try explaining that you are owed another month and see if they will look into it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Danteryu

Looks like you were braver than I was! ;)

It's kind of a hassle to go to the border just for that, but if there's no other way. I was considering just going in to Service Canada and bringing it up with them, but I don't know how worthwhile that would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭hellothere1

Service Canada don't handle visas, only sin cards and social service things, border is your best bet, even then I'm not sure if it'll work! At least if you go to the border you'll be speaking to someone directly!

Advertisement