Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music R.I.P

Options
  • 21-03-2012 1:27pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭

Just put on the rte site now and see that One Direction have topped the charts in the mighty US of A.

Wtf... (etc), its pretty much concludes now that the entire music industry is fubared if these 12 year olds can dominate such a market as the USA.

Themselves and justin beeebbber can go f**k themselves.

them eejits....the mind boggles

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭recyclebin

jealous much?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Good marketing and teenage girls hormones are a powerful force -_-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

Music died years ago anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Gevie Stee

Their O2 concert was sold out and they only had like one song!
    Girls don't care about music, just how the guys look!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

recyclebin wrote: »
    jealous much?

no, I am just about to have an auld shave now and feel nice and masculine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

If you think it's dead you're paying attention to the wrong music.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Somebody's never heard of the Osmonds...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Pop charts are not representitive of music on the whole. There's a lot more out there than the top whatever...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

everything's shite since joe dolan died

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Yeah the music has died. The reality tv / tween / manufactured music industry has taken over. Im not sure if this is just a case of the normal generational tastes changing "those damn kids and their loud music" etc etc. I think this is different. Some of the worst drivel that came out of the 90's was head and shoulders above the kind of bilge thats topping the charts now. The personality cult is at its zenith.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

What's with this bullsh1t fashion of saying a person's jealous when they express despair at how crap something is? I guess those who call them jealous have never ever criticised anything themselves then?

Yeah OP, chart music used to be great - it's really gone down the sh1tter. And before someone says "It's no different - you're just getting older" - nope. Chart music was of far superior quality up to the early 90s and occasionally since - prior to X Factor muck taking over.
    And One Direction hot to grown women? Wtf? They're young, peachy-skinned boys! Again, just seems like bandwagon-jumping.

Plenty of good music out there though OP - just not pop/chart music. Shame. Nothing quite like a good pop toon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Somebody's never heard of the Osmonds...
    At least with the Osmonds there was some talent and Crazy Horses is still a great song.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Who da funk are One Direction?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

Pop music has been dreadful for years. The fact that One Direction are top of the charts doesn't make them the best band the industry has to offer today. They're not a patch on The Vaccines, for example. Don't mind the charts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Music R.I.P
    Time to drive your chevy to the levy then!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭chickendinner

Barely one erection between them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Dudess wrote: »
    What's with this bullsh1t fashion of saying a person's jealous when they express despair at how crap something is? I guess those who call them jealous have never ever criticised anything themselves then?

Yeah OP, chart music used to be great - it's really gone down the sh1tter. And before someone says "It's no different - you're just getting older" - nope. Chart music was of far superior quality up to the early 90s and occasionally since - prior to X Factor muck taking over.
    And One Direction hot to grown women? Wtf? They're young, peachy-skinned boys! Again, just seems like bandwagon-jumping.

Plenty of good music out there though OP - just not pop/chart music. Shame. Nothing quite like a good pop toon.

There seems to be an underground rock revolution building. Puts me in mind of 1976. A lot of kids are starting to fall away from the pop genre and look for something new and shocking. I for one would welcome a new rock riot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

OP - America is largely the worst market for music quality in the world...I am unsure why a band like One Direction achieving success there is a shock.

They love their assembly line pop bollix over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

S Club 7 have reformed............if Four Horsemen turn up, start running

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Discostuy

..."our latest record, or our latest electronic noise, depending on whose side you're on."

John Lennon speaking about their new record Help!

I'm afraid we all reach a certain point where "chart music" is no longer aimed at us and so they don't give a fup what you think.
    No point in b*tching about it, just listen to what you like and leave the kids to their crap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

What!?!

Disregard charts - they're b0llocks and don't really mean anything in terms of quality.

There's tons of great bands out there! So stop moaning and accepting what you're given by sh!t radio stations like 104 and 98fm etc and go and discover bands/music/genres yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

You're talking as if they're the first boyband to ever become popular in America.

Anyway, music is still alive and well and always will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Just put on the rte site now and see that One Direction have topped the charts in the mighty US of A.

Wtf... (etc), its pretty much concludes now that the entire music industry is fubared if these 12 year olds can dominate such a market as the USA.

Themselves and justin beeebbber can go f**k themselves.

them eejits....the mind boggles

Who was Number 1 on the charts when songs like Gimme Shelter and other great songs were released?

It wasn't those songs. In 20 years we'll remember the great music but not this crap so don't worry about it. There is a LOT of great music out there, you just don't look for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Chevolution

Actually music is very much alive, you're just not looking in the right places, right now there's real bands playing and writing real music all over the country and the world! In fact there's not enough hours in the day or days in the year to actually see all these bands but they are definitely out there, just not on rte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

the only talent in the music industry these days is marketing.

no decent bands writing and producing their own stuff get a look in anymore... its all simon cowell and co type tripe that recording labels are interested in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

OP - America is largely the worst market for music quality in the world...I am unsure why a band like One Direction achieving success there is a shock.

They love their assembly line pop bollix over there.

im just waiting for the day simon cowell and louis walsh lose thier jobs cos the type of crap they produce gets outsourced to a producer in a factory in china.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

lol chart music

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

You do know there is a wealth of other music out there on vinyl/cd/tape/mp3 still being released today besides 'chart' music from the UK or USA?

Everyone likes pop (no matter what anyone says, there is always one 'song') but for me and everyone I know, we are fully aware that there is other music out there that is being released to a mass market, such as eletro/eletronica/punk/rock etc that is in no way related to chart stuff but sells really well from an artists label site or very active on the many internet sites independently.

Basically, if you are interested in music other that 1D or pop in general you will start to look for it at a young age, for me it was Orbital when I was 14, then Aphex Twin to Boards of Canada back in 98 when I was 17 then the internet happened and I found 1000's or artists from around Ireland and the world releasing music that I'd buy online and still happens today.

Just forget about the Charts dude. Its for young girls at the end of the day, they will learn other music as they get older and if they dont, always remember, pop music is for people who do not like music.

im just waiting for the day simon cowell and louis walsh lose thier jobs cos the type of crap they produce gets outsourced to a producer in a factory in china.

Given the potential for things to get lost in translation the lyrics should be a lot more interesting.

• Advertisement

Boards of Canada

Yuss!

Advertisement