Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music R.I.P

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Calm down dear!

1960s The Monkees
    1970s Bay City Rollers
    1980s New Edition, New Kids on the Block
    1990s Milli Vanilli, Backstreet Boys, Take That, Boyzone, ****ing Westlife
    2000s Blue, Busted, McFly, etc
    2010s One Direction

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

the only talent in the music industry these days is marketing.

no decent bands writing and producing their own stuff get a look in anymore... its all simon cowell and co type tripe that recording labels are interested in.

No, it's only tripe that MAJOR Record labels are interested in.

The Independents are fcuking fantastic these days. Look at Xtra Mile, they have , Frank Turner and the Sleeping Souls, Beans on Toast, Against Me and Rueben.

Laura Marling, Josh Ritter, Chuck Ragan and Jim Lockey and the Solemn Sun. There are dozens of great bands out there now.

You're just not looking hard enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

It's just a sign of the times. Years ago the people who were buying cds were older and more in tune with decent music. Today the teenyboppers have more access to music with itunes and the like so vacuous pop drivel is top of the charts. Manufactured pop groups are predominantly male and aimed at the teenage girls of today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Yuss!

New album extremely needed!!!!!!

I heard The Black Dog are doing a remix for them at the moment, lets hope its for a 'new' track from a 'new' something!

EDIT: Also, to OP, go to Forbidden Fruit this June and see what your missing....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Frank Turner

God I miss Million Dead, they were great.
    One Direction are hardly representative of modern music. Hell they're not even representative of modern pop music, which, I have to admit I prefer to pop music from the 90's and early 00's.

• Advertisement

ghostchant wrote: »
    God I miss Million Dead, they were great.

He is great now, going to see him in London in Wembley! And he has a new Hardcore project coming along soon with Ben from million dead and Matt Nasir.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

Dave Grohl wonder what he makes of this...

I can imagine him doiing a gig and saying...

'F**k one direction, this is how we do music...........':)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Discostuy wrote: »
    ..."our latest record, or our latest electronic noise, depending on whose side you're on."

John Lennon speaking about their new record Help!

I'm afraid we all reach a certain point where "chart music" is no longer aimed at us and so they don't give a fup what you think.
    No point in b*tching about it, just listen to what you like and leave the kids to their crap.
    Maybe so, but look at the top 10 in 1980: Blondie, The Specials, The Jam. Pop music (not music across the board) has deteriorated immeasurably.

Dave Grohl wonder what he makes of this...

I can imagine him doiing a gig and saying...

'F**k one direction, this is how we do music...........':)

He's too nice for that, he'd only do something like that if they were dicks to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Somebody's never heard of the Osmonds...

I've never heard this one direction lot but I seriously doubt they have a song that rocks quite like this...
    :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

This is what's known as popular culture OP. To avoid it throw out your TV, set your radio alarm clock to the buzzing noise and stop reading newspapers. The world is actually a beautiful place when you ignore the popular media.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

music died along time ago, just look at the main headliners for the major rock festivals across europe this summer, metallica, kiss, black sabbath, soundgarden, pearl jam, queen, faith no more, all from the 70s 80s and early 90s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

Music is better than it's ever been. if you look at the top 20 chart from any particular week from the 60s 70s or 80s it will be mostly tripe that's long since been forgotten about. Recent times gave us the likes of Radiohead which are up there with Pink Floyd etc.. (Post OK Computer.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

For every One Direction there's an Adele. It's the music industry after all.
    The lads in One Direction are essentially employees of the recording company and are probably on a pittance of a contract and will most likely not see adequate remuneration once the next big thing comes along.

All these talent competitions are based on the business model of people phoning in to vote and getting charged every week thus generating enormous sums of money. Wash, Rinse and Repeat.

In terms of the singing competitions, anyone with a bit of coaching and a lot of self confidence can hold a note. However, not everyone can compose, arrange and perform their own pieces and seeing Adele get the acclaim she's gotten gives us at least the prospect of others following suit in future.

Where are the competitions for creating new songs?
    What is the last song that has become a classic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Sea Sharp wrote: »
    Music is better than it's ever been. if you look at the top 20 chart from any particular week from the 60s 70s or 80s it will be mostly tripe that's long since been forgotten about. Recent times gave us the likes of Radiohead which are up there with Pink Floyd etc.. (Post OK Computer.)

Radiohead have spent their careers trying to escape the record companies.
    When was the last time a Radiohead song was played on a mainstream radio station?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

He's too nice for that, he'd only do something like that if they were dicks to him.

probably, he most likely doesnt know who they are anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

foxyboxer wrote: »
    Radiohead have spent their careers trying to escape the record companies.
    When was the last time a Radiohead song was played on a mainstream radio station?
    They play them on midwest radio all the time. That's how knew I was a grown up when I heard it on there. "Creep" it was too, in between the results from some local horse race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I'm looking foreward to hearing that the new album from 80s synth kings 'Ultravox ' which will be released any day now , will knock these chappies off their perch and go straight to number one in the album charts . :cool:

Of course it's not going to happen but for an over 40's bloke , my hearts in the right place .

My teen daughter has seen The Wanted twice and One Direction once this year but she's exactly the audience these guys are marketed for .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

No disrespect folks, but for the kids - the ones who will shape popular music - Radiohead, Foo Fighters and co are like classic rock. You know, the stuff the "hip" older folk like, the stuff your Da likes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Who was Number 1 on the charts when songs like Gimme Shelter and other great songs were released?

For the record, Gimme Shelter was released on Let It Bleed, on December 5th 1969.

Number 1 in the UK on that day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

The mainstream has gotten worse but independent music is alive and well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Yae but even pop used to have some good stuff. Britney had the odd song that was catchy. The stuff Justin Timberland did with the neptunes and timberland was high quality pop. I flicked through the music channels the other day for about an hour and couldnt find one good video. The music industry is dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

No disrespect folks, but for the kids - the ones who will shape popular music - Radiohead, Foo Fighters and co are like classic rock. You know, the stuff the "hip" older folk like, the stuff your Da likes.

Classic rock? Radiohead? You clearly haven't noticed any of the 6 albums they've released since The Bends.

And please don't lump them in with Foo Fighters - derivative pop rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,504 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Just put on the rte site now and see that One Direction have topped the charts in the mighty US of A.

Wtf... (etc), its pretty much concludes now that the entire music industry is fubared if these 12 year olds can dominate such a market as the USA.

Themselves and justin beeebbber can go f**k themselves.

them eejits....the mind boggles

Music has been dead to me for many, many years now.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Van Halen are back with a new record and tour, music is alive again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Musics far from dead. you just have to cast your eye a wee bit further than the top 20. I know it's a big ask not having the radio or TV shows telling you who to like but it is possible.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

There's a song about this from over twenty years ago:

Burn down the disco
    Hang the blessed DJ
    Because the music that they constantly play
    It says nothing to me about my life

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭MiseryCat

Just put on the rte site now and see that One Direction have topped the charts in the mighty US of A.

Wtf... (etc), its pretty much concludes now that the entire music industry is fubared if these 12 year olds can dominate such a market as the USA.

Themselves and justin beeebbber can go f**k themselves.

them eejits....the mind boggles

I see your point :mad:,Its all about making big bucks now how much of this stuff can they bring out, Having their faces printed on every merchandise eg (Hanna Montana ), being 12 years old started off music career the pedophiles will have a field day:mad:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Anyone who thinks music is dead isn't looking hard enough

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

What was good about music programmes like Top Of The Pops was with the top 30 , you got a good variety of artists and groups from across all the musical generes like rock , pop, R&B and others so you might have Thin Lizzy , Ultravox and Queen jugging for the top spot alongside artists like Bucks Fizz , Smokie and Wham .

Regardless of what position the song or album makes in the charts , people should like whatever type of music they like for what it is, rather then be sheep like and just follow the crowd.

Advertisement