Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music R.I.P

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Rabble Rabble Rabble Boring Moaning About Some Sh*te Act Or Other That Means Nothing Rabble Rabble Rabble.

Life moves on - people continue to make brilliant music. Morons who follow the sh*te music charts continue to follow the sh*te music in the charts. Nothing changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

chin_grin wrote: »
    If you think it's dead you're paying attention to the wrong music.

you beat me to it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

I'm a 40 something bloke so I don't think that One Direction is aimed at me. My six year old niece loves Jedward. I just ignore the whole X Factor/Cowell/Louis Walsh thing. Mind you looking back I was into some seriously dodgy groups back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭gemma188

Who da funk are One Direction?

Ever heard of Google?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Ormus wrote: »
    Classic rock? Radiohead? You clearly haven't noticed any of the 6 albums they've released since The Bends.

And please don't lump them in with Foo Fighters - derivative pop rock.

I think you're entirely missing my point. Kids don't want to listen to music from bands in their 40s. I was most assuredly not having a pop at your favourite band.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

"That awkward moment when One Direction turn around and walk in the other direction."

Will Ferrell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Music sales are down from what they used to be, given that there are more people in the world since the 70s and 80s, and people have more money, you'd think modern music would trounce sales of yesturyear. A lot of the top selling singles in the UK, for example, are from the 60s-90s, hardly anything in the top 50 is from 10 years ago.

Although music isn't necessarily dying, mainstream music is falling apart it seems compared to the old days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

1D fan and proud of it. the lads are living the dream! Fair play!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Love music, but you have to be willing to invest a bit of time in it. Nobody is going to be able to hand it to you because everyone's taste is different and you have to find out for yourself. There are lots of places to listen to free music, turn off the radio, cast a wide net, listen to recommendations and from friends/reviews/blogs. You won't like everything but you will eventually stumble across a few artists that you'll love.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I think you're entirely missing my point. Kids don't want to listen to music from bands in their 40s. I was most assuredly not having a pop at your favourite band.

That's odd, when I was 14/15 me and my friends listened to Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd who were in their late 50s at that stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Somebody's never heard of the Osmonds...

Or the Bay City Rollers, or the Monkees or hell even the Beatles.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Anyone who thinks music is dead isn't looking hard enough
    The creativity of music is almost dead. There's only so many musical notes and only so many ways of recombining them and we're almost at that stage where every possible note combination has been used.

In 50 years all we'll be doing is remixing melodies and lyrics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

We all have different tastes in music, but only drivel like one direction is mass produced and mass marketed to the extent that young teeny boppers wet themselves and buy all sorts of sh1te that they release. Good music still gets noticed though, The Black Keys came out of nowhere and finally got the recognition they deserved, yes good music (my idea of good music) is not as accessible as it used to be but it is definitely out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

ScumLord wrote: »
    The creativity of music is almost dead. There's only so many musical notes and only so many ways of recombining them and we're almost at that stage where every possible note combination has been used.

Thats doesnt matter. There are a million songs out there using C G and D but it doesnt make them the same song. Almost every metal song for about 10 years was in E at one stage. Again, doesnt make them all the same song. Creativity and music are still alive and very well, you just have to look past all the bull****. Which is the same as it was in the 60's and 70's. Theres always been bull**** music. Check out, Animals as Leaders - cafo, on youtube and tell me they arent creating something different.

ScumLord wrote: »
    In 50 years all we'll be doing is remixing melodies and lyrics.

Thats what most "artists" are doing now. Doesnt mean music is dead. It means they are all boring, lazy, greedy....musicians.

Not picking on anyone here btw, yours was just the last post I read.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Another reason I think there is less "good" music in the charts is because of the democratisation of the music industry. Before the internet, most people were stuck with the radio and magazines to find new music. A few good artists would get heavily promoted and everyone who enjoyed that genre of good music would buy in.

Nowadays virtually the entire catalogue of recorded music throughout history is available at the push of a button and a good portion of it is streamed for free. People who are into music will find their own niche and it means that there isn't a select few artists getting all the sales. It is more spread out across many artists and so no one artist will sell enough albums to compete with manufactured chart pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Surprised no-one's posted this yet:
    http://c.cslacker.com/9599l.jpg

As far as pop-muck goes, there could be and have been a lot worse ****e than one direction. Like the backstreet boys. Or N'sync.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,014 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Key phrase in the OP: "music industry". There's plenty happening outside the doomed music "industry", if you're willing to dig a little. The whole process has been democratised by the Internet, and the removal of other barriers to entry such as the need to use a dedicated recording studio.

This is yet another case where a little history puts matters in to perspective. What did people do before the music industry? Some people learned to play instruments. You could get piano lessons, sheet music, and go on to entertain your friends and family or play in groups with like-minded folk. The bit that wasn't there before, and won't be in the future, is this notion that music is a gateway to wealth and success. There won't be many people who have "music" as their primary job, but hopefully more people who make music out of love for music.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

Plenty of great music out there, you just need to know where to look - and it is definitely not in the mainstream/eurovision/pop idol/X factor/MTV CRAP etc etc..... area.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Mully_2011

sad day :(

you wheren't that stuck for money Mick Where you ??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

As long as there is good live music around , be it in local pub band or large concert format , where guitars ,drums synth and other instruments are played then there's always hope for the future which from my own age group doesn't ,and never did include boy band vocalists .It's also why there are so many tribute bands around ie ,Australian Pink Floyd and others who fill in the gaps for bands that don't tour much or who are no longer around to do so .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I say fair play to them! I actually like them, seem like nice lads and they're 'living the dream'. They also have some catchy songs, don't pretend you all haven't sang along to 'What makes you beautiful' when it comes on the radio :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Who gives a toss about the charts anymore? With the internet today we have access to every imaginable genre of music, globally, on demand.

I had to record songs off 2F fcukin M and pray the DJ wouldnt give a 30 second big shout out to Mary in Ballydehob over the last 16 bars of the song.

I was reared on Longwave 252 so i was.

Jaysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Music has been dead since 1921...

Oh no wait, no it hasn't, I just picked a random year about what the people from the 60's were probably sayin', music changes, music evolves, music is everlasting as long as we exist as a species with the capability to produce sound... music isn't dead, it's just got bigger

The US and UK Charts aren't important anymore, they're like VHS, out-dated and irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Just put on the rte site now and see that One Direction have topped the charts in the mighty US of A.

Wtf... (etc), its pretty much concludes now that the entire music industry is fubared if these 12 year olds can dominate such a market as the USA.

Themselves and justin beeebbber can go f**k themselves.

them eejits....the mind boggles

As the opening credits in 'We Will Rock You' the musical said: 2002 - X-Factor is sent from Hell to destroy popular music. It seems to have worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Meh. I remember Mr Blobby at number one. I'm pretty sure that was a low point in chart music. Chart music doesn't even equal 'pop' music (except in the technical sense). There's loads of great pop music around, it's just not, you know, popular in the sense of being able to climb the charts. No great loss, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I think one direction are really good, much better than old music.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭buckfast69

Sky King wrote: »
    Who gives a toss about the charts anymore? With the internet today we have access to every imaginable genre of music, globally, on demand.

I do agree that we should little stock in the music charts, however i always enjoy seeing bands that i like make it in there, having said that its rare that i do. I like when you see the number one spot is someone you know could beat the p¤¤s out thise manufactured pop groups.

I do remember reading an article possible on cracked but i can be sure about, when the classic rock bands like led zepplin wouldn't make it to number one with their singles and be beaten by some group of wimps.
    So to me it looks like charts are the wrong place to look.

Music will never die thanks to the internet it will be preserved like a head in a jar for future generations to discover and enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

GarIT wrote: »
    I think one direction are really good, much better than old music.

I've heard an orgy of cats that sound better than wrong direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

You do know there is a wealth of other music out there on vinyl/cd/tape/mp3 still being released today besides 'chart' music from the UK or USA?

Everyone likes pop (no matter what anyone says, there is always one 'song') but for me and everyone I know, we are fully aware that there is other music out there ...................will learn other music as they get older and if they dont, always remember, pop music is for people who do not like music.

What is the big deal what kind of music you like? If you like pop, rock, classical whatever. I like music to be catchy and to be able to sing along to it - doesn't matter what genre it is. It's a bit insulting to say that 'pop music is for people who do not like music' - give me a break. I love music and I don't have to listen to some band that nobody has heard of to be considered a lover of music. I like mainstream stuff primarily but so what? I still have different kinds of music on my iPod - it doesn't bother me whether the artist wrote the song, played the instruments or what genre it is - if I think the song is good I'll buy it.

People are getting so snobby about music nowadays - if you don't write your own music or play an instrument then you're not a credible artist (not directed at you! Just in general!)

Advertisement