Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

China Open Draw & Schedule

2»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

zack01 wrote: »
    5-1 to Ebdon and you just can't see a way back for Maguire now. It's not pretty but Ebdons style of play is effective. This final is really one for the true snooker fans out there, the safety play and all round match play albeit slow is actually quite brilliant by Ebdon. Some say it's boring but this is what snooker was like in the 70's and 80's the only time it quickened up was when Higgins and White were on show. In fact Higgins once conceded a world final to Readon once with Readon still needing a few frames to win such was the high standard of matchplay by Readon then.Higgins was himself a great match play player as well but he just couldn't handle the slow play Reardon produced during that final.
    Even with today's high standards we are always going to see a proper slogfest every now and again, yes everyone wants to see balls going in at 100 miles and hour and maximum breaks being made but this is the other side of snooker and while boring to some it's fascinating to others.

Thank you Zack...:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,518 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I find Ebdon fascinating. I love the turgid stuff. I find metronomic 100+ breaks to be the height of boredom. Am I weird? :D

Definitely agree, give me a 45-43 frame with one red left and the colours all on cushions rather than century break after century break.

I like what Ebdon does. He has limited ability compared to many other players, but he has completely maximised what he gets out of the game by insisting that every match is played on his terms. If you want to beat him then you have to be willing to work your way through a lot of scruffy frames.

I do accept that he doesn't recruit many new fans to the game. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

Definitely agree, give me a 45-43 frame with one red left and the colours all on cushions rather than century break after century break.

I like what Ebdon does. He has limited ability compared to many other players, but he has completely maximised what he gets out of the game by insisting that every match is played on his terms. If you want to beat him then you have to be willing to work your way through a lot of scruffy frames.

I do accept that he doesn't recruit many new fans to the game. :)

I agree 100% with your post, 10-15 years ago Ebdon was as flamboyant as they came but as the standard got better he completely changed his game and has become one of the great match players the game has seen, but let's not forget he can still knock in the big breaks as well. To be still competing at the highest level ten years after his world title win says a lot about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,518 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Ebdon crawls over the line 10-9 after a great Maguire comeback.

Zack, any idea why the first session was 6 frames and the second session 13?

(I've a suspicion it may be that the first session stops when one player gets to five, so as not to have a 7-2 or 8-1 or 9-0 scoreline after the first session)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

Ebdon crawls over the line 10-9 after a great Maguire comeback.

Zack, any idea why the first session was 6 frames and the second session 13?

(I've a suspicion it may be that the first session stops when one player gets to five, so as not to have a 7-2 or 8-1 or 9-0 scoreline after the first session)

I reckon they stopped play after the first six frames due to the fact it went on for too long. Normally a best of 19 match would see 9 frames in the first session and the remaining 10 if needed in the second session.
    The only time you would see this happen because it seldom happens in a final is during the world championship when all first round matches are best of 19 frames.
    The session would normally start at 2pm and if by 5.15pm if there was a chance that nine frames would not be completed the tournament organiser would instruct the referee to call a halt at the conclusion of the current frame.
    The reason being the evening matches begin at 7pm and between the time the tables are prepared, the auditorium cleaned and the evening audience settled in there would be just about enough time.
    The same thing obviously happened today hence the first session only having six frames played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭oneillMan999

Well that was a grind, quite enjoyed it though, cant beat a good ole slogfest, dont see it much these days.

Ebdon for the world title? :D

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

Ebdon for the world title? :D

I'll happily jump on that bandwagon...:D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I'll happily jump on that bandwagon...:D

I'd only fully support this if I had the following day off work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭oneillMan999

I'd only fully support this if I had the following day off work.

Surely you mean "week" off! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement