Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portfolio Mix

Options
  • 21-03-2012 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I am getting through my portfolio tracks and I only have to submit 1 stereo "pop" track so I thought Id make use of the rate my mix section.

http://soundcloud.com/bbkb-1/rough-mix/s-BJogn

Quick rundown:
    The electric guitar has a ringing to it which annoys me.
    Vox are untreated, I just threw on a compressor and a Waves vocal rider till I can get to it. "Hey bai, whaa" is a joke, not meant to be there haha.
    The kick has been replaced by a sampled one and needs a lot of work.
    Bass still needs some work.
    Tape delay plugin on the guitar during verses
    Messing around with reverb on the guitar tracks.
    EDIT: Getting a sense that the master bus compression is a bit too much at times at 46 seconds, but that could be the vocal track throwing me off.

Thanks
    bbk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 CrimsonSounds

Hey BBK,

Overall, I like the track. Some of the performances drift out a bit at times, the drums at times expecially in the rolls towards the end of the song.

The accoustic guitar is too prominent for my ears. You should work on a mix of the electric and acousti together and get them sitting together well.

I feel the hats are a bit to loud, as are the overheads at times.

More bass required in the mix - it's there, but it needs more meat to ground the sound.

I actually like the vocal as it is - obviously some tweaks, but it seems to sit quite well.

Overall, the mix needs more punch - and some bus compression on drums & bass, and overall mix bus would help. Don't think the section at 0:45 is a problem - I actually thought the sound came together better there than at other parts of the tracks.

Before I go, listening again as I type, the acoustic guitar is sticking out - so I would start by pulling that back a few db.

Good luck ;-)

Advertisement