Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm a newbie

Options
  • 21-03-2012 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭

Right, here's the story, following a hungover trip to a pet store i've landed myself with a fish tank. Was told to go home and run it with the filter on for about a week or so treating it with the chemicals that came with it and then come back and buy a fish. This is what i got

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w81/pimp4cheddar/Fluval%20Edge/DSCF1221.jpg

Now, i know feck all about fish, but i'm gona learn and i'm hoping the nice folk here on boards (who from looking at threads know and love their fish) will help me out along the way

Firstly, how long do i need to wait to get the fish?

Secondly, i'm goin to buy 4 fish (well myself and my house mates will by 1 each), couple of shrimp and a sucker as well a few bits of decoration. What sort of fish do you recommend (of the tropical kind) for a first timer? I know they can be quite fragile if not cared for, now don't worry, i'll be looking after them, but just because it is the first time i want something a bit sturdy that wont die if i look at it funny.

thirdly, how often do i need to clean it, and how do i do this. Surely you cant just take the fish out and put them in a cup for a week while i clean the tank and then let the new tap water filter out for a week or so.

fourthly, Is there anything else i need to know?

Sorry for my ignorance on all this, and i will be getting a book on it (if you can recommend a good one, please do) so will learn as i'm goin along, hopefully with minimum fatalities, but i'm goin to start here so any and/or all of your advise will be taken with great appreciation and put to good use.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Hi Fran,

Have a read of this thread. It will teach you how to cycle an aquarium. This is essential and I reckon it's the reason why a lot of new comers to the hobby lose their fish a short while after they get set up.

I'll come back to you later in more detail but a few quick tips that I have learned over the years is.....

1. Think of it as water keeping, not fish keeping. If the water is right the fish will be right.

2. Don't over feed. A lot of people over feed and pollute the tank.

3. Untreated tap water is the enemy.

4. Get yourself some test kits. Nitrite, Ammonia and Nitrate. these are vital.

5. Do your research on the fish you want. Some fish grow big quickly and create a lot of mess and some just aren't compatible with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

Cheers for that fred.

Thing is, i'm gona pay a bit of attention to this, because the fish are quite expensive to someone like myself, so i'm not goin out putting 150-200 quids worth of nice fish in the tank to keep them alive for a week (incidentally, must check up expected life spans so i have a target to aim for!)

Will have a read of that thread, and get sorted with a testing kit. Kinda want my fish now, but want to make sure everything is perfect first. I've an idea of what i want, from seeing them in the shop, but haven't a clue of their names so i'll call up and take note and make sure that they'll all get on with each other and not out grow the tank

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

had a good read of that thread. Interesting stuff. I'm currently using Nutrafin AquaPlus, but mite throw a bit of food in there too.

Another question, should i put the ornaments in a week before i get the fish too or can that go in on the same day?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Doesn't really matter about the decorations, they can go in anytime.

Advertisement