Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X BOX not working 15 months old

Options
  • 21-03-2012 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭

Can anyone help me - XBOX will not power up standby light showing on power cable but machine itself will not start at all. Was working fine last week.
    Anyway I bought it about 15 months ago still have the receipt brought it back to the shop who told me I needed to contact Microsoft as 1 year warranty has run out. Rang them and told again 1 year warranty and it would cost over €100 to repair :( . Does the EU Directive about 2 year warranty cover me here if so who is liable to fix it the shop or Microsoft?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Didnt microsoft say the were extending their warrenty to 3 years because of the RROD and all?

Perhaps have a look in the Xbox forum here for more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

3 year warranty related only to RROD I thought?

15 months for an xbox is like 80 human years !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I'm going to assume that it's not a RRoD (3 red lights on power button) issue as that would have been pointed out by the shop and/or microsoft by now.

Don't worry about microsoft, your contract of sale is with the retailer. Was it new or 2nd hand? Provided the machine has not been mistreated it should certainly last considerably longer than 15 months.

As you've already taken the first step by returning to the store with receipt to be fobbed off, the next step is to send a registered letter to their head office detailing your problem and stating the relevant sale of goods act and that it is not reasonable for such a device to fail in such a short period of time. Explain that you are entitled to a repair/replace/refund and will not be paying for a repair. Give them 10 working days to adequately respond and inform them if they don't you will be pursuing the issue through the SCC.

This may take some time but stick to your guns - if you need some reassurance, check out this thread in the playstation forum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Sorry whats RROD?

It was bought brand new and isn't used that much.
    Basically the Xbox unit taking no power they tried another power cable same issue. I did quote the European Directive to Microsoft but they said they will look and see what they can do and come back to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

RROD = Red Ring of Death, a common issue with some x-boxes.

OP - your contract is with the retailer. Assuming that the box has suffered no undue damage, then 15 months definitely falls within a reasonable lifetime definition. Therefore, it is up to the retailer to deal with you.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

As a note, there are no longer any red lights in the power button use for the traditional "RRoD" indicator, it's by design, probably to stop Microsoft looking so bad!
    I think if red lights show no it indicates a power problem and they are use for nothing else, instead any other problems are signified by a single red dot. (This is all from memory! ;))

Email and ring the shop about the EU directive, you'll have to argue, but they'll honor it eventually I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Email and ring the shop about the EU directive, you'll have to argue, but they'll honor it eventually I think.

Don't bother with email, as this is too easy to ignore. Go in to the shop in person. I wouldn't mention the EU directive because Irish consumer law is actually much stronger and provides greater protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

I don't know, I've been over ridden by head office a few times when I'm apparently following company policy..

Now whether it was me who told them to go to HO or not... ;)!

Also I agree, email alone is not much use!
    But really emailing and ringing head office can the a good option, management as much as possible will follow the company line, if you do go in in person, be kind to the retail assistant explain the situation and ask to speak to the manager. If the manager is in doubt they'll talk to HO anyway, if they are going to do that it might help if they're already aware.

It is Sales of Goods that guarantees an item for a reasonable period of time isn't it? And it's just common procedure that shops (try) to opt for one year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

After much too and froing with Microsoft I am getting them to fix my Xbox for free well I hope so just waiting on them to e-mail me labels to courier Xbox. If nothing by Monday I will be back onto them again. Took quite a few phone calls where they kept saying 1 year until they relented to 2 years for Ireland- scanned my receipt and sent it to them. So hopefully next week will send it off to get sorted - tks

• Advertisement
Advertisement