Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Travelling to Euro 2012 by car, help!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

OK I have few minutes now, so I can write what marcin_diy proposed about driving in Poland, as I can see there will be good few people driving down there or renting a car there.

1. Rules of the road - differences to Ireland.

Generally there are plenty of differences - too much to list them all, but I'll try in short.
    a) Speed limits - In Ireland they are all signed by speed limit road signs. In Poland (similar to most other EU coutries) it's up to driver to know what kind of road they drive, and therefore what speed limit apply.
    Housing estate zones - speed limit 20km/h. You know you are in one as they are signed by this sign:
    strefa_zamieszkania.JPG

Cities and towns - generally bulit up areas - speed limit 50km/h, but between 23:00 and 5:00am it's increased to 60km/h - you will know you are inside built-up area as they are signed by those signs:
    D42_D43.jpeg

Outside built-up areas - generally country and national roads - speed limit of 90km/h and 100km/h on dual carriageways.

Expressways (lower standard motorways) - 120km/h (unless it's single carriageway expressway, them 100km/h applies). Those roads have number S (S1, S15) and are signed by those signs.

Motoways - speed limit of 140km/h. They have A signage (f.e A1, A2, A4) and are signed by those signs:
    250px-Autoroute_F.svg.png

Except from those limits, there are very often normal speed limit signs, which indicate special speed limit for such place. Special speed limit starts to apply from the sign, up to next junction. Worth mentioning, that the same rule (sign only applies up to next junction) applies to other prohibitory signs, like no overtaking, etc...

b) Traffic lights.
    This might be the most confusing part for Irish drivers.
    There are 3 types of trafic lights signals (S1, S2, S3).
    S1 is the simplest one (just red, amber and green light). The same meaning as in Ireland. However worth noting is that when you are turning at the junction while you have green light (left or right), then pedestrians crossing on the street you are turning into also have green lights, and you have to give way to them.
    S2 is conditional right turn, and it is just an additional green arrow with the red light. So if you see a red light, and a small green arrow on the right, that means you are free to turn right even at red light, provided you give way to pedestrians crossing in front of you (they have green light) and to cars coming in perpendicular direction, as they also have a green light.
    S3 is a signal where all light on it (green, amber and red) are of a arrow shape) and if you get an green arrow, that means you have collision free way in such direction, so you don't have to give way to anyone.

That's generally how they look:
    info.elblag.pl-8569-Sygnalizacja-swietlna.jpg

c) using indicators.
    You have to indicate when changing lane, and when changing direction on the junction, even if the main road turns right f.e you still have to indicate right while following it.
    Interesting thing is you are supposed not to indicate when stopping on the side of the road, or rejoining the main road, provided you don't change a lane.

d) roundabouts. Pretty much the same rules apply, however make sure you don't leave roundabout from the inside lane, as someone from the outside lane might crash into you, and it will be your fault. Correct way to proceed through roundabout if you are f.e. turning left (same thing as turning right in Ireland) so using the third exit, you join the roundabout into inside lane, proceed through inside lane up to 2nd exit, and then you change lane to outside lane, to make sure you exit on 3rd exit from outside lane.

e) DRL - you must use your DRL's at all times. If your car is not equipped with DRL, you have to use your dipped headlights at all times.

f) documents - you have to make sure you are carrying with you at all times when driving: driving licence, registration certificate, and insurance certificate. If car you are driving is registered in Poland, it must be equipped with warning triangle and fire extinguisher. If it's Irish car, theoretically you don't need those two, but in practice, you never know what police will say. They asked me once why didn't I have fire extinguisher and wanted to fine me.

g) Overtaking - you are supposed to overtake on the left, however on one way streets (including double carriageways and motorways) there is no prohibition to overtake on the right. Anyway - I wouldn't advice anyone to undertake especially on motorways.
    When overtaking cyclists or motorcyclists, you are required to leave at least 1m gap between you and a cyclists.

h) Pedestrians - they have right of way on pedestrian crossings (all look like zebra crossing) provided they don't step straight in front the car. They are not allowed to cross the road outside zebra crossing within 100m from it, and further than that they can cross the road, but they have to give way to vehicles.

j) Major roads, minor roads, equal importance junctions.
    Generally if you are driving on a road signed with this sign:
    znak_drogowy_D-1.jpg
    that means you are on the main road, and have a right of way. This sign might not be present in front of every junction, so sometimes you might need to remember you are on the main road. When main road is about to end, and become minor road you most likely will see such sign:
    znak_drogowy_D-2.jpg
    Normaly in front of every junction where minor road joins major road you will see yield sign or stop sign (hence yield sign is yellow, not white like in Ireland).
    However sometimes you might encounter equal importance junctions, where right of way goes to vehicles coming from the right. Those junctions sometimes are signed by this sign:
    250px-Znak_A-5.svg.png
    but often they are not signed by any sign. So if you are coming into junction where there isn't a yield sign neither stop sign, and you are not sure if the road at which you are is a major road, this could be the equal importance junction, where you have to give way to cars coming from the right. Usually such junctions are on more quite roads, especially in housing estates, etc.

k) Police fines - if you get stopped for any offence, they issue on the spot fines for non-residents which you have to pay on-the-spot in cash. If you don't have cash, they might allow you to go to ATM if they are nice. They are also obliged to provide you with a receipt of payment.

l) Even there are no yellow boxes painted on junctions, you are not allowed to drive into the junction, if you are not sure you will be able to leave it before traffic lights change to red.

m) Parking is permitted on pavements, provided you leave at least 1.5m space for pedestrians. Parking is not permitted where you see this sign:
    b-36.png

n) Below sign means a closed to traffic street (pedestrian street) so don't drive over it
    b-1.png
    Below sign means - no entry. Don't cross it, as you will end up driving against the traffic on one way street:
    b-2.png

At the moment I can't really think of any other significet differences, but I might add something when I think of it.

Few general tips now.

1. On wider single carriageway national roads with hard shoulder, be prepared other drivers might expect you to move right to hard shoulder to let them overtake and they could flash to ask you to move. Also there might be cars from the opposite side oncoming overtaking, and forcing you to run away to hard shoulder. Just be careful and look around what's happening.

2. Speed limits are very often not adhered, so don't be surprised when you see a cars doing 120km/h on 50km/h speed limit.

3. Pay lot's of attention to right of way, as loads of drivers just floor it through the junction if they have right of way, and if you force right of way on someone this will very likely cause an accident where you will be at fault.

4. As a pedestrian be very careful, as drivers are not so willing to let you pass the street as in Ireland. Use pedestrian crossings, and also be careful. Never run through red lights, as you might be killed by some quick running car, and it will be 100% your fault. Also when driving, make sure you don't run over some pedestrians who have green light, as very often when they have green light they don't look around, just cross the street. When crossing the road outside pedestrian crossing, don't expect drivers to let you cross, as you have to give way to them. If they hit you, it's your fault.

5. If you will be driving in Polish registered car (rented or sth), be careful with speed cameras as there is quite plenty of them around. They are however fixed on poles in boxes, not mobile like in Ireland.

Hope that will help someone who is heading to Poland for Eurocup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Also note the police in Poland and Germany will use a baton to signal you to stop.
    SuperStock_1848-156231.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mercenary2

berlin is not to bad for a drink stoped there on way to warsaw drove direct from galway not to bad a drive but on to poznan is more than 2 hours plus have plenty change ready for them road tolls on the motorway in poland must be one every ten miles,oh and when i was there 3 year ago they still would not accept euro at the toll booth so had to use credit card..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Dusseldorf is a great city for the lash (and for shopping if any ladies with you;))

Not much of a detour either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Where To wrote: »
    Dusseldorf is a great city for the lash (and for shopping if any ladies with you;))

Not much of a detour either.
    was going to say that

and its 8hours from Cherbourg and 8 from Posnan too so cant get more central.
    Theres a 1km long street in the middle of town that is nothing but bars and restaurants the length of it and theres a few good beerhalls nearby too.
    Hotels also shouldnt be a problem pricewise.

Accomodation wise theres hostels there but a reasonably comfortable Ibis is still only about 65euro a night for a room or bit more spartan Etap with free parking a bit more outside for 38.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

was going to say that

and its 8hours from Cherbourg and 8 from Posnan too so cant get more central.
    Theres a 1km long street in the middle of town that is nothing but bars and restaurants the length of it and theres a few good beerhalls nearby too.
    Hotels also shouldnt be a problem pricewise.

Accomodation wise theres hostels there but a reasonably comfortable Ibis is still only about 65euro a night for a room or bit more spartan Etap with free parking a bit more outside for 38.

I work in Dusseldorf,
    hotels.com and sort by the cheapest ;)
    I usually stay here: http://www.aohostels.com/en/ but sometimes I just go on Hotels.com and pick the cheapest/ best based on reviews, usually works out under 40 euros for a double room ensuite.

Only problem is the Umweltzone (Eco Zone) in the Center if you don't have a tag you can come back to a clamp and a ticket.

Heres a list of free parking spots around the city:
    http://www.gratisparken.de/nordrhein_westfalen/duesseldorf/

Heres a map of the Eco zone:
    http://www.duesseldorf.de/kfz/pdf/umweltzone_duesseldorf.pdf

The Altstadt is a big long drinking street/square (Apparently one of the longest in Europe) Sausalitos is decent for food and the Fuchsen Alt is great for a pork knuckle and alt beer :)

Viel Spass !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Having done a similar trip I'd say you're best bet is Lille. It'll take ye I would say 7-8 hours to get that far and it's a nice town worth seeing and cheap in French terms as well.

I have to admit I'd be fearing for that Space Wagon big time though. I'd be a lot happier in an oul Transit or Transporter minibus if I was youse. It's not a petrol engine is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

In fairness it depends on how many are going :)

x4 of us are going,

We have Camper paid in full,Flights to and from and ALL match tickets bought. it cost us 1200 Each. Surely thats cheaper than the driving from Ireland option ?

Much cheaper?

listermint wrote: »
    x4 of us are going,

We have Camper paid in full,Flights to and from and ALL match tickets bought. it cost us 1200 Each. Surely thats cheaper than the driving from Ireland option ?

Much cheaper?

From Dublin to Poznan it's about 1800km.
    Assuming a car which takes even about 9 l/100km it's about 260€ for fuel each way. €520 return. To this add ferries (about €200 each way for car + 4 people with stenaline landbridge). So far €920 euro return. What else. Maybe you would want to stop on the way somewhere, so add €50 per person per night each way, so another €400. That's €1320 in total to get all four of you there, so €330 per head.
    If you add match tickets and accomodation in Poland, I really doubt it would go anything near of your €1200 each.

CiniO wrote: »
    Assuming a car which takes even about 9 l/100km it's about 260€ for fuel each way. €520 return. To this add ferries (about €200 each way for car + 4 people with stenaline landbridge). So far €920 euro return. What else. Maybe you would want to stop on the way somewhere, so add €50 per person per night each way, so another €400. That's €1320 in total to get all four of you there, so €330 per head.
    If you add match tickets and accomodation in Poland, I really doubt it would go anything near of your €1200 each.

Plus you could stop in a Rewe or something and pick up a load of Beer on the way back ;)

In Germany beer is cheaper than water.

• Advertisement

Plus you could stop in a Rewe or something and pick up a load of Beer on the way back ;)

In Germany beer is cheaper than water.

Heh I'm sure it is, but I still reckon it will be cheaper to buy your beer supply in Poland. And wine supply in France. You need a big boot though ;)

Car purchase, tax and insurance. Match tickets i have were the Category 1 so 136 Euro Each. You missed tolls. And you havent calculated the cost of 'Euro 2012' accommodation for at least 2 weeks to catch all the games.

Additionally your fuel costs are way off too, a Spacewagon with 6 lads in it isnt getting 9l/100km its more likely to be 12l/100km. You were quite conservative with that.

Im pretty confident im still winning.

~40 quid a night x 14 nights = 506 Euro
    x 3 match tickets (Cat 1) 136 = 408 Euro (thats if they actually have tickets in such a case theyll be paying more)

So i cant see how at all its possible to get it done cheaper than what i have.

Car purchase, tax and insurance.
    I'm assuming you already have a car taxed and insured and you are leaving it in Ireland for time of the travel. So you could use your car. Only cost might be wear and tear (like tyres, oil, etc) but it won't be much.
    Match tickets i have were the Category 1 so 136 Euro Each.
    Does your price include 3 match tickets (all Ireland group games) for everyone?
    You missed tolls.
    What tolls would that be?
    All I can think of is toll M6 in UK near birmingham, but you don't need to use it. You can use free M6.
    And you havent calculated the cost of 'Euro 2012' accommodation for at least 2 weeks to catch all the games.
    You are talking about accomodation in a camper van.
    I'm sure you can get comparable standard accomodation in Poland for less then €10 per day, so it gives €140 per 2 weeks.
    Im pretty confident im still winning.

Same as me ;)

Also where are you renting campervan?
    Did you include fuel costs for campervan?
    Did you include all fares to get to the airport for 4 people (buses, taxis)? Then fares for 4 people to get from the airport to campervan rental company? Did you include a camping charges, as I assume you won't be sleeping in your campervan parked in the city centre?

You missed tolls.

There is no Tolls between Calais and Berlin.

Correct. There is 17 miles of toll free French motorway. :)

So there is no Tolls In Poland?

Right....

The cost is including 1 individuals Category 1 tickets for All of the group games yes.

I cant see you getting 10 Euro Accomodation in Poland during the Euro 2012 so 140 is laughable if you think thats going to happen.

And the OP said they bought the car so im assuming there was a cost and insurance / tax what not involved with that.

Im travelling Frankfurt to poland.

And yes i still think financially i am winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

OP,For a few days in Holland,you could have got the overnight ferry from Hull to Rotterdam and also paid a visit to Amsterdam.

http://www.poferries.com/tourist/content/pages/template/routes_hull_-_rotterdam_routes_-_hull_-_rotterdam.htm

On your way to Poznan,you could have stopped off at Hanover or Wolfsburg which are halfway.

http://www.distance-calculator.co.uk/world-distances-amsterdam-to-poznan.htm

Yes there are. http://www.viatoll.pl/en/light-vehicles/news

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Do not pass food stuffs between vehicles while traveling on the autobhan, it is frowned upon by the locals

There is actually on A2 between German-Polish border in Swiecko to Poznan. 26zl = about €6.5. You will have to pay it anyway in your campervan at probably higher rate. Between Poznan and Gdansk you won't be using any motorway I assume. If you are traveling further east from Poznan towards Lodz and Warsaw, there will be further tolls. Also if you travel on A4 between Wroclaw and Krakow there are tolls, but I assume you won't be traveling there.
    Right....

The cost is including 1 individuals Category 1 tickets for All of the group games yes.

I cant see you getting 10 Euro Accomodation in Poland during the Euro 2012 so 140 is laughable if you think thats going to happen.
    Surely not in a hotel, but as I said - comparable standard to living in campervan - probably you could. But you are right - I'm just guessing.
    And the OP said they bought the car so im assuming there was a cost and insurance / tax what not involved with that.
    I wasn't actually comparing OP to your case directly, but I was trying to compare if you took your own car and 4 lads in it, instead of flying and renting campervan would be cheaper.
    Im travelling Frankfurt to poland.
    Which Frankfurt is it?
    And yes i still think financially i am winning.

I was basing on my own example traveling to Poland for few weeks for Christmas with my wife and daughter.
    It came way cheaper to drive our own car, from west of Ireland to east of Poland (2500km) than flying, and renting a car there.

• Advertisement

Which Frankfurt is it?

If it was Cheap I'm guessing Frankfurt-Hahn :D

But yeh, generally more than 2 people it works out Cheaper to Drive.

Just depends on how much your time is worth to you I guess.

Aer Lingus lads :)

Aer Lingus not Ryanair. All booked pre draw ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

OP,For a few days in Holland,you could have got the overnight ferry from Hull to Rotterdam and also paid a visit to Amsterdam.

http://www.poferries.com/tourist/content/pages/template/routes_hull_-_rotterdam_routes_-_hull_-_rotterdam.htm

On your way to Poznan,you could have stopped off at Hanover or Wolfsburg which are halfway.

http://www.distance-calculator.co.uk/world-distances-amsterdam-to-poznan.htm

That would be the best route IMO, dublin - liverpool - Hull - Rotterdam. It would only take about two hours to get to hull from liverpool I think.

JJJJNR wrote: »
    That would be the best route IMO, dublin - liverpool - Hull - Rotterdam. It would only take about two hours to get to hull from liverpool I think.

That ferry is wicked expensive though, usually about 180 euros more than the Calais - Dover route

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Fennelly

Ferry is 100 return each.
    Car cost us 500... less than 100 each
    Fuel split 6 ways

Anyway... were thinking of staying somewhere between Cherbourg and Berlin, then staying in Berlin, before driving on to Poznan!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

That ferry is wicked expensive though, usually about 180 euros more than the Calais - Dover route

You cannot compare the two.The Hull-Rotterdam ferry is an overnight trip and takes about 8 hours,hence price.

Shur isnt the whole thing an experience.

You cannot compare the two.The Hull-Rotterdam ferry is an overnight trip and takes about 8 hours,hence price.

Shur isnt the whole thing an experience.

Indeed, but if going to Ireland I'd prefer to 'drive' the experience rather than sit on a boat :pac:

Or Poland in this case

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

Fennelly wrote: »
    ferry is €100 over and back. Were drivin over a Mitsibushi 7 seater space wagon! It will be... an experience, to say the least!

Well, going on the route that im getting from Google Maps, Berlin is only 2 ish hours away from Poznan.

Are ye flying to Frankfurt?

berlin is about 5-6 hours away due to road networks, polish/german drivers and well... general madness...

expect the un expected... ( then expect more drama after that if you dont know polsko/german )

done it before lads, its nothing that exciting really, thinking of driving a 125 or 126p back this summer.

Pdfile wrote: »
    berlin is about 5-6 hours away due to road networks, polish/german drivers and well... general madness...

Berlin to Poznan 5 or 6 hours??????:eek:
    That's only 280km all on motorway.
    If you don't get stuck on any traffic jams 2 hours is possible, while in 3 hours should be done easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Fennelly

Ah yea 2,3,4 hours its all the 1 to us as long as we get there. Just a matter of planning our journey from Cherbourg (6th June) to Poznan (for the 8th) ie... 2 nights along the way

Advertisement