Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is GAME (Eglinton St.) still open?

Options
  • 21-03-2012 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi Galwegians,

With all the talk of GAME going under and certain stores closing is the one in Galway still around? Is it going to close down?

(I haven't been in Galway for a few weeks and i'd check myself if I was there!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭shot2go

it was still open when i was in there the 11th off this month

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Its still open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

They' all remain open for now. The company is not in receivership but adminstration. However there is a real chance all the Irish stores will be closed next week depending on what decisions are made.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Viral Vector

Thanks guys! Any good deals in there at the moment?

Hopefully i'll get to it before it closes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Ive hard that theres nothing huge on offer yet but apparently some of the bulkier stock such as the ps move lightguns have been reduced substantially. Definitely worth checking out anyway. Must pop in myself for a mooch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

It's a shame, it's a very nice store with good deals and midnight openings for most major releases. Very friendly staff too. I really hope for their sake that they can stay open.

But I have to say I had already given up on them when they cancelled all preorders of Mass Effect 3 a few days before launch... I'm not going to trust them with preorders again even though they sent me excuses by email and post.

Just heard there its gone. Dunno if its permanent. Theyre officialy in administration now. All strong shops are getting a refit and remaining open while all the weaker shops are shutting up doors. Personally i havent bought anything in game for a whilw. A number of bad experiences from them and the high prices turned me off.

Asmodean wrote: »
    Just heard there its gone. Dunno if its permanent. Theyre officialy in administration now. All strong shops are getting a refit and remaining open while all the weaker shops are shutting up doors. Personally i havent bought anything in game for a whilw. A number of bad experiences from them and the high prices turned me off.

I came into town there earlier and it was closed for business!

A sad day for gamers in Galway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bensweeney

I came into town there earlier and it was closed for business!

A sad day for gamers in Galway!

Not really, Game was never really any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 PhantomShrimp

This list is still being updated and has started to include the Irish stores:

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/store-closures-begin-at-game-and-gamestation/093365

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

bensweeney wrote: »
    Not really, Game was never really any good.

I always thought it was a damn sight better than gamestop. Nice staff that really knew their stuff. I went in to ask gamestop about the PS move a couple of days before it launched and they looked at me like I had 2 heads! :/

Sad to see it go, hope it's temporary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

As I predicted but I did think it might get through Monday at least.

Im only sad to see it go because it was one of the last brick and mortar stores to have an anyway decent pc section. Their prices were never good though and myself and people i know have had bad experience with staff in there. Still sad to see jobs lost though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

I agree with aperture, GAME had much better staff than gamestop, id prefer if it was gamestop that was gone.

According to RTE news the staff in Ireland aren't going to receive their full redundancy and a staff sit in is being planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Passed it today and it was still open, went in for a nose around.

Sad to see it go, once I got an Xbox it was an awesome place. Plus it was competing with Gamestop which kept prices decent in both.

Lockstep wrote: »
    Passed it today and it was still open, went in for a nose around.

Sad to see it go, once I got an Xbox it was an awesome place. Plus it was competing with Gamestop which kept prices decent in both.
    Yeah I got mine there too back in 2008!

GAME always had better deals than Gamestop! Now Gamestop practically owns the game market in Galway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Yeah I got mine there too back in 2008!

GAME always had better deals than Gamestop! Now Gamestop practically owns the game market in Galway!

Remember HMV and Xtravision as well.

And Smyths!
    HMV can do no wrong in my book lately. It's where I'm buying virtually all of my console games. They're almost always cheaper than gamestop too.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

HMV would be my preferred game shop in galway, but online (amazon uk, gamesnash ie) is usually cheaper so if I'm not in a rush that's where I'd buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭deltakilo

I passed there this morning and there was a sign up "Closed for Business". Pity, usually had some good offers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Closed today anyway, what a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's official - Game closes all shops in Republic
    RETAILER GAME has closed all of its stores in the State with the loss of 121 jobs after the group went into administration. Administrators appointed yesterday also closed most of its stores in Northern Ireland, cutting 110 jobs.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2012/0327/1224313952400.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The ones in Cork are now being occupied by their staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Asmodean wrote: »
    And Smyths!
    HMV can do no wrong in my book lately. It's where I'm buying virtually all of my console games. They're almost always cheaper than gamestop too.

The prices are only lower because HMV still has competition in the area, so they undercut the competition in order to take the business away from them. Since HMV is so huge, they can take the hit in profits.

Just you wait and see what happens to the deals if gamestop goes under.

Well It's good for me as a consumer now to be able to have some sort of shop I can get good deals in. If it's a case of all brick and mortar shops raising their prices I'll just buy my games online. I wouldn't see Gamestop going anywhere soon. Game are gone under because they didn't pass on price cuts to consumers and have built up a bad reputation for themselves in the last few years. Over in the games section on here it's the same thing over and over. People are all saying that they haven't made big spends in Game over the last number of years. I used to pop in there from time to time but never parted with my cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Sad to hear but are there many people still buying games in bricks-and-mortar shops?

Theres always going to be a big market in bricks n mortar shops for more casual gamers and kids and of course pre owned, which is a big section of the market but i guess thats an argument for another day. Pc gaming has seen the biggest shift in terms of digital distribution with clients like steam etc but pc gaming would probably hold the smallest share of this generations market. Peripherals and impulse buys like guides would probably sway more people into actual stores too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Game had consistently better prices on pre-owned than Gamestop, and they ran weekly or monthly offers on certain games, which Gamestop never do either. Virtually every of about 20 games I've bought in the last six months came from Game, as each one was more expensive in Gamestop.

HMV is pretty good too, but to be honest they haven't the range that either Game had or Gamestop have, in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I always found the staff in Game unusually helpful. I hope they aren't unemployed too long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Surrealean

I've sent their customer support off an email but I imagine they're inundated with calls - does anyone know how they're handling warranties? Bought a PS3 last week and, wouldn't you know it, it's not working. Got a year's warranty on it and suddenly nowhere to return it.

Advertisement