Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ben and Jerry's flavours

Options
  • 21-03-2012 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

Ben and Jerry's have launched 3 new flavours over here:
    Berry White
    Dough-ble Whammy
    Karamel Sutra

Has anyone tried them yet? What do you think?

So far I've tried the Berry White one. Really liked it, particularly the raspberry ice-cream. The chocolate core was a bit strong & we tended to avoid that area of the tub. But overall would definitely purchase again:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Ive tried the double whammy and its actually vile, it was grand for the cookie dough and choccie ice cream,but then there was this swirl through that I cant even begin to describe how horrible it was, and my mum and brother thought the same.

Vile to the point of actually wanting to be sick.

others I have yet to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I've had Dough-Ble Whammy. The core is the chocolate fudge sauce that they sell in their scoop shops but obviously it's frozen. It was a bit strange at first but as it thawed out it was nicer. The chocolate ice cream is lovely and I love Cookie Dough anyway.

Still prefer Half Baked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Karamel Sutra is not actually new, just a re-launch of one that was out here years ago. I tried it then and wasn't hugely keen on it because, for me, a serving of Ben & Jerry's is a full tub, and too much caramel ice cream gets sickly very quickly.

I bought the Dough-ble Whammy one; the ice cream is as nice as any Ben & Jerry's chocolate and Cookie Dough ice cream but, as said above, there's something about the chocolate fudge core, and I've heard of a lot of people who think it's awful. It's quite strong and I'd eat it all right, but perhaps it might benefit from the core flavour being sweetened or toned down.

The Berry White I have no interest in trying as I don't think fruit has any place in ice cream as it takes up valuable chocolate space, and so this one lacks enough chocolate for me.

Still prefer Half Baked.

This is what I'm having for dinner today :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Karamel Sutra is not actually new, just a re-launch of one that was out here years ago. I tried it then and wasn't hugely keen on it because, for me, a serving of Ben & Jerry's is a full tub, and too much caramel ice cream gets sickly very quickly.

I bought the Dough-ble Whammy one; the ice cream is as nice as any Ben & Jerry's chocolate and Cookie Dough ice cream but, as said above, there's something about the chocolate fudge core, and I've heard of a lot of people who think it's awful. It's quite strong and I'd eat it all right, but perhaps it might benefit from the core flavour being sweetened or toned down.

The Berry White I have no interest in trying as I don't think fruit has any place in ice cream as it takes up valuable chocolate space, and so this one lacks enough chocolate for me.

Found the core to be horrible as well. It's actually a strong coffee taste, bit annoyed that they didn't mention it on the front of the cartoon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Found the core to be horrible as well. It's actually a strong coffee taste, bit annoyed that they didn't mention it on the front of the cartoon.

Yea I thought it tasted very coffee like aswell, its a shame though as until I had that nasty stuff I thought the rest was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Have since tasted the Karamel Sutra flavour- deeeelicious:D

The first time I tried it I didn't think it was horrible at all but I was a bit unsure about it. Having had this ice cream a second time, however, I can most definitely say that I think the core is gorgeous. Not sure where people are getting the coffee flavour, it's nothing like coffee but a very, very rich chocolate.

But I love bitter chocolate and regularly eat 90%. The core in this is kind of like that; if you don't like bitter chocolate then you may well find it unpalatable. For me however: yum. I found the core the nicest part :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

The karamel sutra is disgusting. I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

The Doughble Whammy is absolutly disgusting, the core made me wretch when I tasted it!

Caramel Sutra few, the caramel is sooooo good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

I'm a Haggen Dazs addict. Don't know how to spell it... I certainly know how to eat it.

Place near me regularly puts it on sale at 2 quid for a 500 ml tub.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

The first time I tried it I didn't think it was horrible at all but I was a bit unsure about it. Having had this ice cream a second time, however, I can most definitely say that I think the core is gorgeous. Not sure where people are getting the coffee flavour, it's nothing like coffee but a very, very rich chocolate.

Read the back of the tub, coffee extract is a core ingredient. It's a flavour thats fairly hard to miss, it's a bit annoying that one of the main flavours of the core isn't mentioned on the front, would have never bought it had I known.

Read the back of the tub, coffee extract is a core ingredient. It's a flavour thats fairly hard to miss, it's a bit annoying that one of the main flavours of the core isn't mentioned on the front, would have never bought it had I known.

Well, whaddaya know, I missed it. It's described as a chocolate fudge core and that's exactly what it tastes like to me.

Coffee is obviously used to enhance the flavour, it's not supposed to be a coffee flavour; if that were the case they'd call it a coffee core. Perhaps they were too heavy-handed in its inclusion, as you're obviously picking up on its being used as a main ingredient. I, however, did not and it tasted as described. So sue me :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I can't get enough of Dough-ble Whammy! I love it, especially the core.

I know... I almost wish it wasn't on offer. It's too dangerous!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I know... I almost wish it wasn't on offer. It's too dangerous!

I hate it being on special offer! Hate it and love it all at the same time! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

vard wrote: »
    I'm a Haggen Dazs addict. Don't know how to spell it... I certainly know how to eat it.

Place near me regularly puts it on sale at 2 quid for a 500 ml tub.

eh where is that???!!!

can anyone find hagen daz caramel anywhere near dun laoghaire, deansgrange etc..?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

RE the coffee taste - I though that the core was coffee flavoured, but my wife though I was imagining things!

The coffee taste was really strong for me and ruined the taste of the rest of the ice cream.

As for fruit in icecream - raspberry and dark chocolate are the only possible exception to the no fruit rule!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

Berry White is amazing. I love the cores too.

What bugs me is that we've only about 10 flavours (500ml tubs) over here, when the UK get about 16, and there's almost 30 in the US. I want Cherry Garcia on sale here.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tigerblob

I agree, the core on the Berry White is completely unbearable. It's really bitter, it made me screw my face up like I was eating lemons. It tastes really strongly alcoholic to me. I'd love to taste Karamel Sutra, I hope it isn't a huge disappointment like Berry White.

• Advertisement

tigerblob wrote: »
    I'd love to taste Karamel Sutra, I hope it isn't a huge disappointment like Berry White.
    Well, if the only part of Berry N'ice you didn't like was the core (which is amazing by the way :p) then you should be okay with Karamel Sutra as the core is totally different – it's just caramel.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm not that good with very strong flavours, and I enjoyed the core of the Berry White. I'm surprised so many people dislike it.

Faith wrote: »
    I'm not that good with very strong flavours, and I enjoyed the core of the Berry White. I'm surprised so many people dislike it.
    Yay! Another person who likes it. That makes, like, three people that I know of.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Four - my boyfriend couldn't get enough of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

Five!! I love the core flavours. I just wish they'd bring back Cherry Garcia!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Actually the core of the berry white is the bit I like, the berry part is horrible imho. The dark choc core with vanilla and caramel would be yum!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

The karamel sultra one is lovely but was so feckin disappointed witht eh double whammy one !

surprised no one done what I done and actually checked the ingrediants and it proves what a lot of people thought !

completely ruins it imo.

213658.JPG

wonton wrote: »
    surprised no one did what I did and actually checked the ingrediants and it proves what a lot of people thought !

Er, yes, they did:
    Read the back of the tub, coffee extract is a core ingredient.

And I'm sure plenty of people have checked the ingredients. It's hardly inspired!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

didnt mean to sound as if I just discovered a new element, but there did seem to be people debating it earlier in the thread:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Edible

anyone tried the new Winter Berry Brownie yet?

Advertisement