Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wastepal Ceasing Compost bin collection

Options
  • 21-03-2012 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭

Got a letter from Wastepal yesterday saying they are ceasing their compost bin collection as they can now sort the rubbish in such a way that allows you to put your compost in your waste bin.

I have 2 x 80l bins one waste and one compost which is what I signed up for in January, now however I am being told that they are taking one of these away leaving me with 1 x 80l bin for both waste and compost.

This wont be enough for me as I need more than 80l between compost and waste in a 2 week period, so I phoned Wastepal to ask are they going to give me a 140l bin as a replacement for the compost bin, therefore leaving me with the 240l recycling bin and a second bin 140l for compost and waste basically being the equivalent or near enough to the equivalent of what I had previously.

They said they can do this for an extra €30 per annum. Or alternatively if I want to leave extra bags out I can at a cost of €2 per bag.

This is ridiculous as I am only 2 months into a contract with them they completely change the terms and half my bin sizes overnight yet expect me to pay the same amount.

Surely they have to provide a bigger bin free of charge for the year. First time with Wastepal and last time with Wastepal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Its hard to believe they can do this to you .

You should demand larger bins from them and certainly don't pay any extra than you agreed 2 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

I'm more interested in the magic machine they claim to have that can sort organic from non organic waste. What a load of bull.

I reckon They are expanding and plan to use rented trucks that can't collect organic bins in tandem with waste or recycling as they have been doing. They received some award in the past for the amount of material they are diverting from landfill, by the looks of things they are changing their business model for the worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Its hard to believe they can do this to you .

You should demand larger bins from them and certainly don't pay any extra than you agreed 2 months ago.

That's what I did and am waiting for them to call me back as the fella said its all done through hq! I'll give em 24 hours to get back otherwise I'll just ring em again. Tis crazy though them deciding they can change the contract 2 months into it. No way will I let it go til they give me something either a bigger bin or a compost bin for the garden for free

wexfjord wrote: »
    I'm more interested in the magic machine they claim to have that can sort organic from non organic waste. What a load of bull.

I reckon They are expanding and plan to use rented trucks that can't collect organic bins in tandem with waste or recycling as they have been doing. They received some award in the past for the amount of material they are diverting from landfill, by the looks of things they are changing their business model for the worse.

I wondered about this magic machine too can't imagine there is such a thing to sort all the waste and compost if they are mixed together

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

This is one of the reasons I'm still with Wastepal - if they pull the compost collection ('cos I don't believe they can segregate them from one bin), then I'll be reviewing who exactly I send my waste to.

• Advertisement

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    This is one of the reasons I'm still with Wastepal - if they pull the compost collection ('cos I don't believe they can segregate them from one bin), then I'll be reviewing who exactly I send my waste to.

My dad and sister are with them too so I must ask them tomorrow if they got the same letter.

Like yourself the compost bin is one of the main reasons I switched to them this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

The compost bins were taken back in the Bunclody area recently. Doesn't bother us particularly as we never used it - why give away good compost material? When you can compost it yourself and put it on the garden :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Corvo

BarryD wrote: »
    The compost bins were taken back in the Bunclody area recently. Doesn't bother us particularly as we never used it - why give away good compost material? When you can compost it yourself and put it on the garden :)

Keep compost for yourself? Hmm..interesting.

*prepares business plan for Dragons Den*

There's money in muck...!

Seriously, always surprised at people who'll happily buy fertilisers and soil conditioners from garden centres and the like, but who'll also happily give away the materials to make same themselves.

BarryD wrote: »
    There's money in muck...!

Seriously, always surprised at people who'll happily buy fertilisers and soil conditioners from garden centres and the like, but who'll also happily give away the materials to make same themselves.

If they want to replace my wheelie compost bin with the proper compost bin then that's fine provided its free of course

• Advertisement

donalg1 wrote: »
    If they want to replace my wheelie compost bin with the proper compost bin then that's fine provided its free of course

I don't agree. I have two composters but there are things you can't put in a them - meat, for instance - 'cos you really don't want that stuff sitting in your garden for months - they're a vermin magnet.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    donalg1 wrote: »

I don't agree. I have two composters but there are things you can't put in a them - meat, for instance - 'cos you really don't want that stuff sitting in your garden for months - they're a vermin magnet.

Have heard that alright which certainly wouldnt be ideal, but at least it would be somewhere to dump the compost could throw the meet in the waste but ideally I want a bigger bin to use for waste and compost.

Wonder if the waste goes in a bag and the compost goes in loose?

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

Don't know what good putting waste in a bag and compost in loose would do.. the minute the contents go into the lorry the compacter will rip bags to shreds

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

If only the govt. had brought in the €100 household tax sooner,we'd still have the council collecting our bins and wouldn't have to worry what private operators do with our waste & what they charge.:rolleyes:

Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    8 9 10 11 12 13 14
    15 16 17 18 19 20 21
    22 23 24 25 26 27 28
    29 30

Waste Collection Lift Dates, Glass Collection Lift Dates, Recycling Collection Lift Dates, Compost Collection Lift Dates

Anyone else find the Wastepal calendar confusing .........They have only 2 colours on the calendar , but yet they have 4 different colour bins.

We have spent the last hour trying to find out which bin this week .

The text message has not come through yet

Per their communication last year, we always put glass in the recycling bin and send the compost bin out the same week as recycling. We don't have a separate bin for glass - and we're in NR too.

Last week was waste, so this week should be recycling (incl. glass) and compost.

Always thought glass was a no-no in the recycling bins? Never heard of a glass collection up here Bunclody direction from Wastepal. We've to bring ours to local bottle banks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 wastepal.com

Just to note compost bins are only being removed in certain rural areas any customers affected will or have received letters informing them of the reasons why we are doing this and we will most certainly work with any customers who have difficulties with this.

For customers wondering how we will separate the compost element in the waste bin, can rest assured that it will be separated to a very high recovery rate as it will be in our interest both financially and environmentally to avoid sending it to landfill.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Nutsflyer

Wastepal...please give your customers some credit and be honest with us for a change. You have NO such machine to sort the materials and as there is a limited resale value on the compost material (and on recycling material) it may as well go into landfill. Therefore you cut your collection costs and hence this increases your profits. Your expanding territory requires additional tenders and this has now been made possible by cancelling compost collections.

Also, your competitors have better prices based on same service and have 6 month introductory offers with better deals.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

Ballsy poster. I like it.

Also...pun intended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭yobr

Nutsflyer wrote: »
    Also, your competitors have better prices based on same service and have 6 month introductory offers with better deals.

Can you post some details of others who have better prices...thanks

Ya gotta suspect that a newly registered poster trumpeting about competitor deals might not be exactly independent..... just saying....

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Nutsflyer

No dilbert, I have no affiliation to the aforementioned or to any other waste company. I am a catering manager. Thanks for your feedback.
    By the way I am a Wastepal customer!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 wastepal.com

Our previous post answers questions on the importance we place on sorting the waste bin material.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Our previous post answers questions on the importance we place on sorting the waste bin material.

Can you post pics of the sorting machine to keep the conspiracy theorists at bay.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Mod note

Topic Cleaned pending business identity verification

The above applies to those who spotted posts since removed

New posters who just register to cause trouble in their 1st posts will be banned from now on.

We are quite happy Wastepal customers . We pay €30.75 p/month for :
    • 2 x 240 litre recycling bins
    • 1 x 240 litre waste bin
    • 1 x 140 litre compost bin

Always emptied on a Monday without fail regardless of Bank Holidays .

Text reminder received every Sunday Night

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Mod Note
    Thread closed until business identity of wastepal .com is verified.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement