Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone here study Journalism & Photography in WCFE? (Need portfolio help too!)

Options
  • 21-03-2012 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭

Basically I got my letter today to confirm my interview, and it asks me to bring a portfolio also. This is the first I heard of any portfolio requirement, and the interview is in a week. They say it will provide advantageous if I choose to bring one.

Aside from some old college articles which are of my very low standard at the time, all I have is some newer stuff I blogged and some image editing.

I've been told by the college to bring samples of work that best show my style as a journalist/artist/photographer. Anyone out there got any ideas on what I should put in, or how to go about arranging a portfolio?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

If you want to be a journalist then you should be getting articles printed with years... Waterford Today will print anything you send them. Munster Express and News and Star will print anything with a good local angle.

For my portfolio I had about 5-6 Waterford today articles and I had done work experience in the Munster so I had a rake of stuff from there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Thanks for the tip!
    I'm only out of WIT a year, so the most of I have to go on is stuff I've done in my own time or as part of the journalism scoiety.

They say its not a definite requirement and just a suggestion so I don't know really.

They're saying its optional because the majority of applicants are coming straight from the Leaving Cert and won't have a lot of journalism or photography experience.

I have a bit of radio production stuff I could use, but I'd be relying on them deciding to listen to it.

They may not read it and they will
    Almost definitely not listen to it. However, if you have a well presented and substantial looking portfolio you'll definitely score points.

It doesn't matter where the articles are published too. I can remember writing articles about the existence of good...whether priests should marry...all kinds of odd stuff...the Waterford today printed them all and they looked well in there.

I'd try get a week of experience with one of the local papers and get as many bylines as you can.

Then I'd write some articles...do a bit of photoshop or whatever to make them look like they were printed by a paper, then scan them (as you won't be able to recreate the newspaper) and attach. (they won't be expecting all originals.

Sounds good. Tbh my big problem atm is getting any of it together on such short notice. The interview is next thursday.

I should clarify that the course covers journalism, image processing, video editing, photography and radio production.

You just have to scrape together what you can really. You might be surprised by some of the stuff that you have done. (I hope!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

When I interviewed for this course after my leaving (many, many years ago) I just brought along a folder with a selection of my photography and art work from my leaving cert. Don't stress yourself too much over it as they were pretty relaxed and friendly about things, can't imagine a whole lot has changed.

Maybe they'll appreciate my perfect sketches of Johnny Bravo and Ironman from 6th year...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,456 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you do decide to do the 'this was printed in a newspaper - honest' thing with Photoshop, say that you put it together yourself. They will know if you didn't and will not be impressed.

Any stuff you have will be fine, even blog stuff, just try and find samples that are literate and interesting.

No-one is trying to catch you out or demanding expert knowledge - that's why you are doing the course. What they are looking for is serious evidence that you genuinely want to do the course and you are not just there for the grant and because your mother told you you had to do a course to get you out of the house. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭fudark

I was interviewed last year and got into the course.
    I brought 3-4 pictures (the best I had taken) and few articles that I got published in Munster Express and Waterford People (during its short-lived presence).
    One of the girls who interviewed me just scanned through the articles and photos and the other asked me few basic questions about my experience and why I want to do this course.
    It was all very simple, quick and friendly.

Advertisement