Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who to order from?

Options
  • 21-03-2012 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭

With mybeerandwine closing their bricks and mortor shop who should I order off now?

There was a thread where people were discussing this but can't remember which thread it was?

Just want to know who has good value and will deliver quickly! Want to start a brew on saturday to be ready for May bank holiday weekend so time is of the essence people!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

I only have experience with Home Brew West, but I find them to be good.

Deliveries can be really fast (and I order in to London). It has happened where deliveries have taken one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Have ordered twice from HomebrewWest, and found them to be excellent. Great customer service too, when I had a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Have ordered twice from HomebrewWest, and found them to be excellent. Great customer service too, when I had a problem.

My experience with them wasn't the best. I've switched to the home brew company and I'll be sticking with them. I had dropped them an email late at night when I discovered that they left a tap out of my order and the guy phoned me the next morning to apologise and let me know that it was on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

Just emailed homebrewwest about when they'd have something in stock and they got back to me in 6 minutes!

Not bad for 22.15 in the evening, think I'll order off them now, little cheaper for what I'm looking for too.

Thanks for the replies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

Khannie wrote: »
    My experience with them wasn't the best. I've switched to the home brew company and I'll be sticking with them. I had dropped them an email late at night when I discovered that they left a tap out of my order and the guy phoned me the next morning to apologise and let me know that it was on the way.

have bought stuff in the shop a few times and found the guy ok to deal with. they seem to be understaffed for the volume of orders theyre getting online and dont offer much in the line of advice on making up kits.
    but their prices are hard to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭pcomer

I ordered off Homebrew west last year and had a fairly bad experience with them. The day after placing my order I was informed that one of the items I ordered was out of stock (I think it was a bottle steriliser) even though it was listed as in stock on their website. They said it would be shipped separately so I wasn’t too worried. The bulk of my order arrived a week later but lots of items were missing (5 x 1KG bags of sugar and a bottle corker as far as I remember). Emailed them and they said it was an error. I received all the missing items a week later but didn’t receive any apology. Emailed them again saying as I was unhappy with the service I received but didn’t receive any reply from them.

Just my personal experience so I’ll be giving them a wide berth in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 idrinkbeer

HomeBrew.ie are a little cheaper for delivery in Ireland at €3.95 and are currently offering 20% discounts. I've used both homebrew.ie and homebrewwest.ie in the past and had no problems with either.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

thehomebrewcompany.ie and homebrewwest.ie are the better ones by a mile. ive used both hassle free. but overall i suppose thehomebrewcompany.ie are best for supply and service.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Philburns

I used to order from homebrewwest.ie and found them pretty good until I found out that www.thehomebrewcentre.com is based about 5 miles from me here in Co. Sligo. Now I buy everything from them and cut out the postage costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭domcq

I've gotten stuff from these guys: http://www.hopshopuk.com/

£17 for up to 20Kg delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

WWW.themaltmiller.co.uk

£14 for up to 30Kg delivered. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

The beer club are starting to sell HB gear.

http://www.thebeerclub.ie/Home%20Brew%20Supplies/

"we are excited to announce that we are entering the mysterious world of Home Brewing. Over the coming weeks we will be stocking our new range of Home Brew accesories and equipment. We will be placing the equipment initially in Beer Club HQ ( Next Door Off Licence 23-25 Sundrive road) and Beer Club South (Next Door Off Licence 294-298 Harolds Cross Road D6W). All equipment will also be available to order online for delivery nationwide or for free collection in store"

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Wookie

I have been using thehomebrewcompany for the last 4 months (6 orders) and I can’t fault them. The time between order and delivery has never been more than two working days. In one case I had the delivery the next day.

It would be great to have a physical shop in Dublin but at least we are well serviced with a number of online options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

ian_m wrote: »
    The beer club are starting to sell HB gear.

http://www.thebeerclub.ie/Home%20Brew%20Supplies/

"we are excited to announce that we are entering the mysterious world of Home Brewing. Over the coming weeks we will be stocking our new range of Home Brew accesories and equipment. We will be placing the equipment initially in Beer Club HQ ( Next Door Off Licence 23-25 Sundrive road) and Beer Club South (Next Door Off Licence 294-298 Harolds Cross Road D6W). All equipment will also be available to order online for delivery nationwide or for free collection in store"

At last, Horay! I think the guy in the store finally realised why all his swing tops were selling so well... Good offie though in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Various11

The spraymalt I bought online from Homebrew.ie was out of date and they have ignored my emails requesting it be replaced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I use both Homebrew West and The Homebrew Company - both excellent. I found HBW better for kits and basic equipment and I can sometimes collect. Whereas I really like the €6.10 extract kits in THBC, they also sell crushed grain. Shipping very fast with both.
    idrinkbeer wrote: »
    HomeBrew.ie are a little cheaper for delivery in Ireland at €3.95 and are currently offering 20% discounts. I've used both homebrew.ie and homebrewwest.ie in the past and had no problems with either.
    Various11 wrote: »
    The spraymalt I bought online from Homebrew.ie was out of date and they have ignored my emails requesting it be replaced

I'd avoid Homebrew.ie . The last order I made with them never arrived. After a month they said they'd sent by AnPost and they'd resent by courier. That also never arrived and they haven't replied to several emails since looking for a refund or courier tracking details.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

J o e wrote: »
    I'd avoid Homebrew.ie . The last order I made with them never arrived. After a month they said they'd sent by AnPost and they'd resent by courier. That also never arrived and they haven't replied to several emails since looking for a refund or courier tracking details.

Hah! Unbelievable...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭daithi55

have visited homebrewwest.ie in liosban and the homebrewcompany in mountmellick and have nice shops with 3 to 4 staff
    i was also in the homebrew.ie in templemore and it wasnt a great setup tbh was on his own very untidy.. and the stock i purchased hadnt much of a shelf life left on it wont e heading back there

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Newgrange Warrior

I have found homebrewcompany very good to date. They have a a great range, knowledgeable, helpful and they have prompt delivery when I have ordered online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Youngtree

On homebrew.ie - I've been trying to email them for the last 10 days, they forgot to send me the syphon from a starter kit I ordered - and also the Beer Kit i received was out of date by 3 months -
    (I still used the malt but opted to buy some yeast from Offlicense Next Door)

I've had 0 response from them - highly annoying!

My first brewing experience too..
    From reading other people's complaints I guess i'm lucky that most of my stuff came, but i'll be using homebrewwest.ie from now on I think - it seems to have a good reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Oh man, I really feel for customer's from homebrew.ie. I did 0 research on who to buy from before I started and now feel I dodged a bullet by choosing homebrewwest.ie, who might I say were very good when I had a problem with my order...

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

pcomer wrote: »
    I ordered off Homebrew west last year and had a fairly bad experience with them. The day after placing my order I was informed that one of the items I ordered was out of stock (I think it was a bottle steriliser) even though it was listed as in stock on their website. They said it would be shipped separately so I wasn’t too worried. The bulk of my order arrived a week later but lots of items were missing (5 x 1KG bags of sugar and a bottle corker as far as I remember). Emailed them and they said it was an error. I received all the missing items a week later but didn’t receive any apology. Emailed them again saying as I was unhappy with the service I received but didn’t receive any reply from them.

Just my personal experience so I’ll be giving them a wide berth in future.

I'm in the middle of a bit of an experience with them like you had. Ordered off them on 6/09/12 (2 seperate orders). Order remained 'Pending' for a number of days and as I was not going to be at home for a few days I e-mailed them asking them to hold off on Dispatching the order. They replied saying that this would be no problem.

Seperate to this I got a voicemail to say that the Fuggles Pellets weren't in stock (in stock on the website) and offered to accept leaf hops instead. They replied saying that the order would be dispatched on Tuesday night (this is after they had said they'd hold the order).

I managed to arrange delivery to alternative location which was fine. When I got home last night I was so excited to open the order... excitment didn't last very long as it was the completely wrong order :mad: :(. While the DPD delivery sticker had my details on it, the Homebrew West invoice was from someone in a different county and the delivery was to go outside the Republic :confused:. So I am no left wondering if my order is making it's way to this person instead of their order??

I e-mailed the company last night about 8.30pm and am just waiting on a reply from them. Says their shop is open from 11am so will expect a reply e-mail soon after. Unless sorted satisfactorily and very quickly I will have to consider whether I will order from them in the future. It's a pity cos they seem to have a good range of products and I've generally had a good experience with them with the last few orders I've put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

Homebrew.ie sent me spraymalt that was out of date also.

Just to update:

Arranged with Homebrew Company that they will delivery items (except Fuggles Hop Pellet which are out of stock) tomorrow and will collect wrong order at same time.

We'll see how we get on tomorrow!! Fingers crossed everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

lang wrote: »
    Just to update:

Arranged with Homebrew Company that they will delivery items (except Fuggles Hop Pellet which are out of stock) tomorrow and will collect wrong order at same time.

We'll see how we get on tomorrow!! Fingers crossed everyone.

What company do you have a problem with? or do you have suppliers mixed up.

mayto wrote: »
    What company do you have a problem with? or do you have suppliers mixed up.

Sorry, see why there would be some confusion. I am currently dealing with Homebrew West. E-mails have come and gone and it is arranged that I should have my order by tomorrow evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

I have only ever used homebrewcompany, anything i have ordered has literally been with me within 48 hours

lang wrote: »
    Sorry, see why there would be some confusion. I am currently dealing with Homebrew West. E-mails have come and gone and it is arranged that I should have my order by tomorrow evening.

Order arrived this evening and managed to get my London Porter bottled this evening too. So all-in-all it ended very well. My Fuggles hops weren't in stock put will be sent out as soon as they do. It's grand by me cos not planning on getting a brew on in the next few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Diving Board

Quick mail regarding homebrewwest.ie
    I am a regular customer and my last delivery for 2 beer kits arrived with one can having a massive dent, like it was dropped from a height. I would suspect the can has been compromised. I contacted them with a photo of the can and did not even receive a reply.
    Can anyone recommend another supplier with decent customer service please.

Advertisement