Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought fraudulent software online, what now?

Options
  • 21-03-2012 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,057 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I'm usually well on top of this stuff, however I Got into some hassle recovering files and purchased software online, which is not fit for the purpose intended. Anytips on what to do next?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Niall0001

From experience, the only two data recovery softwares that actually work are iCare Data Recovery & Power Data Recovery. Had to check out over 20 of them for a project & all the others were absolute junk - find deleted files alright but 'recovers' them as useless text files or files that are met with a critical error when opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,057 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Sorry Niall, I didn't get too deep into what the software was for, i'm concerned with the legalities and possibility of a refund?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

What is the software? Chances are it is from a company outside of the EU which means you wont have many rights or any at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Where did you buy it from and how did you pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

These recovery programs cannot recover your deleted files in certain situations. Deleting a file just marks stuff as deleted, it doesn't physically remove it, or set the bits to zero. However, when you create or edit other files, they may get moved to occupy the space that your deleted stuff was previously in.

Thus there may be nothing wrong with the software.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,089 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Sorry Niall, I didn't get too deep into what the software was for, i'm concerned with the legalities and possibility of a refund?

All depends on what you bought and where from. What do you mean by fraudulent software anyway?

If you paid with a credit card you can request a chargeback. First step would be to request the refund from the company that sold it to you though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'm confused, the title says fraudulent which suggests you bought warez software or something but in your post you say
    is not fit for the purpose intended.

This suggests it didn't recover your files, even the best file recovery software won't always recover 100% of files though as it depends on the situation but that doesn't mean its faulty or anything.

Another free alternative which is excellent, its recovered over 2TB of data for me...it doesn't just do photos either :)
    http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

Advertisement