Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Sauce

Options
  • 21-03-2012 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where I can get a jar of apple sauce in Dublin? I need it for a small bit of healthy baking but also as an alternative to sugar in my morning bowl of porridge!! I tried making it myself but it always tasted bitter so decided to just buy the stuff,

cheers

frAg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

frag420 wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I can get a jar of apple sauce in Dublin? I need it for a small bit of healthy baking but also as an alternative to sugar in my morning bowl of porridge!! I tried making it myself but it always tasted bitter so decided to just buy the stuff,

cheers

frAg

LIDL is your man! Got some there a while back for the pork chops!

mmm... Colemans too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I dont know if they still do it, but my mother always used a jar of Heinz unsweetened apple baby food for apple sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Cheers folks. I shall pop into Lidl this weekend.

frAG

• Registered Users Posts: 39,415 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

cheers

frAg

Most, if not all, the sweetness in applesauce is from sugar. Even if it says unsweeted. Still sugar.

I hear what your saying but I doubt I would use anwhere near as much on my porridge as I did sugar. Out of interest is it better to consume sugar early in the day as oppossed to when one is winding down after a day??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I tried making it myself but it always tasted bitter

Sure you don't mean sour?
    Bought ones would be loaded with sugar - you probably didn't put enough in.
    Can't think why a homemade apple sauce would be bitter unless you didn't peel the apples or left the pips in.

yeah meant sour. just didnt taste right at all. Would that splenda stuff be a good substitute for sugar when making apple sauce?

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

I often turn overripe, spongy, apples (mostly gala) into apple sauce, rather than discarding them, and often find that it is too sweet, even without adding sugar. A bit of lemon juice added after cooking makes it much better for accompanying pork.

What apples did you use when you tried making your own apple sauce? Bramley and Granny Smith apples would be on the sour end of the spectrum.

I often turn overripe, spongy, apples (mostly gala) into apple sauce, rather than discarding them, and often find that it is too sweet, even without adding sugar. A bit of lemon juice added after cooking makes it much better for accompanying pork.

What apples did you use when you tried making your own apple sauce? Bramley and Granny Smith apples would be on the sour end of the spectrum.

Eh...................green ones!! I didnt think it matters.

Eh...................green ones!! I didnt think it matters.

Yeah, those sound like the Granny Smiths which have a higher acidity.

If you'd like to try making your own sauce again sometime then I'd recommend the Braeburn, Golden Delicious, Fuji or Gala varieties. You should not have to add any sugar to any of these but the Fuji and Gala will be the sweetest.

It may be worth your while to ask your greengrocer to keep older stock for you. They often discard unsold fruit once they lose their firmness, but they are great for cooking. And you can get them for half price or less.

A word of caution though, if ever the apples get mouldy spots on the skin and the underlying flesh goes soft and brown then you need to either, discard it, or cut away a lot of the firm white flesh around the soft spot. If the discolouration has reached the core then it is spoiled completely. Even if the flesh elsewhere looks good, the flavour will be tainted. I spoiled an entire batch once when using an apple like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

If making your own, I'd recommend cooking apples (usually bramley) rather than eating apples - they break down much better. They are sour so will need sugar to taste. I guess you could use splenda if you like the taste of it.

I agree about the cooking apples if it wasn't for the fact that the OP is trying to cut out sugar.

The cooking apples have around the same amount of sugar, but they also have more acetic acid which neutralises the sweetness and therefore requires the addition of sugar.

Advertisement