Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a vet?

• 21-03-2012 6:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭

As the title says...

I'm based in Limerick city. Dog is in great health...
    1 year old Male Siberian Husky, with full papers,
    all vaccinations, microchipped, etc.

I just want to build a relationship with a well known,
    highly recommended local VET for anything that might pop up.

ALSO
    Currently looking at holidays here and abroad and some require
    forms, pet passports, Rabies vaccinations and other such paperwork
    that needs a vets input/attention.

And of course it would be nice to feel safe should he need
    attention for anything minor or major down the road.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭shoppergal

I've been going to Treaty Vet Clinic in Thomondgate(and Shannon) for years and I think they're excellent, Marese in particular is really lovely. Highly recommend them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

City Vet Across from the entrance to the Army Barracks, I'd highly recommend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

We've been using Treaty Vets in Thomondgate also for a number of years and are happy to recommend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭houndsoflove

Adrain Hanley next to the Regional hospital in Dooradoyle.

Alot cheaper than most vets too ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Treaty vets for me too, http://www.treatyveterinaryclinic.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭busyliving

The is a Vet on henry street, just up from the Garda Station. Used him and found him great to be honest, and a very lovely man...

http://maps.google.ie/maps?q=henry+street,limerick&hl=en&ll=52.660247,-8.632529&spn=0.007067,0.021136&sll=53.401034,-8.307638&sspn=7.116846,21.643066&hnear=Henry+St,+Limerick,+County+Limerick&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=52.660576,-8.632177&panoid=JnvbINoqKZeMe-S8x2ofcQ&cbp=12,135,,0,0

With regards to the one in Thomondgate, stay far away, brought one of my dog's there before and found them very unhelpful, rude and unsympathetic...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

We've been with Crescent Vets, up near the Crescent comp, for the last 9 years, hugh out there is very good. never had any problems or issues with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

Finding a good vet is no different than finding a good gp. For every recommendation you get there will be as equal advice to not go there and go somewhere else. It may take a while before you find the right one so visit a few until you find the right fit for you and your dog.
    We've used Treaty in both Shannon and Thomondgate. At times we've found them great and other times not so great. There was one time when one of our dogs needed alot of attention and operations and some of the charges on the invoice were disputed and some were credited and oh boy they were big bills. The last time I used them was when I took my small dog (terrier) to get his jabs and nails done and the Mr vet stood back when my terrier was getting uncomfortable and called one of the younger female vets in to do the nails. She did it no bother but Mr vet should have done it.
    We don't use them anymore, instead we go to a vet in the Clarecastle area, a bit far out for Limerick but somethings are worth travelling for.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

LadyTBolt wrote: »
    Finding a good vet is no different than finding a good gp. For every recommendation you get there will be as equal advice to not go there and go somewhere else. It may take a while before you find the right one so visit a few until you find the right fit for you and your dog.
    We've used Treaty in both Shannon and Thomondgate. At times we've found them great and other times not so great. There was one time when one of our dogs needed alot of attention and operations and some of the charges on the invoice were disputed and some were credited and oh boy they were big bills. The last time I used them was when I took my small dog (terrier) to get his jabs and nails done and the Mr vet stood back when my terrier was getting uncomfortable and called one of the younger female vets in to do the nails. She did it no bother but Mr vet should have done it.
    We don't use them anymore, instead we go to a vet in the Clarecastle area, a bit far out for Limerick but somethings are worth travelling for.

I totally agree with you, its not just about the standard stuff, its the little stuff, like they know my dog is terrified of the flooring in there, so they put a towel down and they know he hates being put on the table, so they get down on the floor to him. As you say somethings are worth it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

+1 for treaty vets in thomandgate from me aswell!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Hooked

Thanks a lot everyone for the frank and informative replies! Really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Beaver1

treaty vet are excellent and reasionable, city vet is way way too expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Have used most of the vets mentioned in the thread over the years.

City vet and Treaty vet would get my nod. All the vets mentioned in the thread are very capable, but have had issues with one in how he physically tries to manhandle smaller dogs leading to the dogs needing up to a week to regain their confidence. By manhandle I mean lift an small adult dog (8+ years in age) off the floor and carry it into the treatment room despite the dog being too heavy for that sort of handling.

Made a point of speaking to other vets along with someone in Animal welfare and all agreed that there was no way the dog in question should be handled like that.

I went in and had words with the same vet after that as he was very ignorant with the dog's owner (who is a woman) but changed his tune when he had a man in front of him. Also made sure to stop bringing my own dog there (although given that Donar is pushing 13 stone now he defo would not get lifted by the scruff of the neck:D)

Treaty vet and City vet for me by a mile. Treaty Vet are defo better on price, but City Vet I find much better in terms of waiting times and slightly, but only slightly, better in terms of getting to know the pet and puuting it at ease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Would say Treaty vet myself, bought my dog up there twice lately and found them to be great help, he's much older than your dog but my sister was there lately herself with a pup and she had only good things to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Small animal clinic on the ballysimon road I found excellent.
    They even opened the clinic late on a Sunday eve for us when we had a sick kitten.
    Used them loads and always found them to be very friendly and informative.

They are roughly behind the b & q place but on the old ballysimon road.
    Marty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

martyc5674 wrote: »
    They even opened the clinic late on a Sunday eve for us when we had a sick kitten.

Marty.

Big +1
    I had my dog neutered there, they were the cheapest around and they treated my dog well.
    I also found a stray kitten at work and they took him in on behalf of LAW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Hooked

lil'bug wrote: »

Marty.

Big +1
    I had my dog neutered there, they were the cheapest around and they treated my dog well.
    I also found a stray kitten at work and they took him in on behalf of LAW

Thanks guys. That's right beside work and about 1.5 miles from my front door! And it was the last place I'd have thought of. Thanks again!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Marty.

is that Mid west vets?

if so top class vets and staff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

is that Mid west vets?

if so top class vets and staff

Yes....061 437111

Marty.

Advertisement