Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a two bed then finding someone to fill the other room.

Options
  • 21-03-2012 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

I've been looking for a double room in a house share in south Dublin for a while now and I'm getting a bit frustrated so I was considering maybe renting a two bed apartment or something instead and then looking for someone fill the other room.

Are estate agents generally okay with someone doing this or are they only going to rent a place out if they meet all the tenants?

I don't have any friends willing to move in with me at the moment but judging by the how difficult it's been to find a room there'd be no problem finding someone to fill it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

Very risky imo.

First you could be paying very high rent til you get someone in and second will it just be your name on the lease this making you solely responsible for all damage?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

Pros outway the cons.

Pros

1) You get to chose who you want to live with and so defo won't end up living with freaks.

2) You can get to lay down some of your own ground rules...

e.g. if it will be a smoking house or not, rosters etc.

3) You can have your name solely on the lease or arrange for the LL to add their name.

4) You get to decide what rent they pay

5) You get first choice of rooms

6) It won't take more than a few weeks to find someone

Cons:

1) You will have to cover the rent for those few weeks

Go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭WaterWolf

I would have thought that if you were already renting a place with someone and then they moved out you would be in the same situation with only your name being on the lease anyway? And a lot of rooms in house shares aren't named on the lease either?

My question really is do estate agents think this is a normal thing to do? Do they not care who's renting out the apartment as long as there's a name on the lease or are they more picky about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Most landlords will not allow you to sublet. The only way I could see this working for you is if you found the person before you move in and you both sign the lease.

WaterWolf wrote: »
    I would have thought that if you were already renting a place with someone and then they moved out you would be in the same situation with only your name being on the lease anyway? And a lot of rooms in house shares aren't named on the lease either?

My question really is do estate agents think this is a normal thing to do? Do they not care who's renting out the apartment as long as there's a name on the lease or are they more picky about it?

It's a renter's market out there and many landlords are only too delighted to get rent in to cover their mortgage.

I'm essentially doing the same thing at the moment.

My name is the only name on the lease.

The total rent comes from my account only.

When someone moves out it is me who replaces them. But seeing as the leaving tenant always gives one month notice I have ample time to pick and choose the next tenant. I give the leaving tenant the deposit of the new tenant. The landlord doesn't care who is there as long as it is well maintained and he gets his rent.

Needless to say I have by far the largest room, which is the only en-suite and I'm paying 100e less per month than the person in the smallest double room (it's a 3 bed).

It's been like this for the last 3 and a half years. No complaints!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

OP i did the same thing for 2.5 yrs and it worked out very well. Choosing who I was living with was quite important to me so it worked out really well as I never had any problems with flatmates. I also paid the same rent as the tenant but had a bigger room. I always told them that they could move out at a months notice minus the cost of re-advertising it (quite nominal really)

It would have to be in your lease that you can sublet and most standard leases prohibit this. That said landlords are open to negotiation these days if you can deal with them direct, an agent may not be so accomodating.

All in all it can work quite well provided you are in an area where rooms rent fast. The downside is you risk being left on the hook for monthly rent of €1200+ all on your own but this never happened in my own case and the area was popular and close to Dublin city.

RATM wrote: »
    OP i did the same thing for 2.5 yrs and it worked out very well. Choosing who I was living with was quite important to me so it worked out really well as I never had any problems with flatmates. I also paid the same rent as the tenant but had a bigger room. I always told them that they could move out at a months notice minus the cost of re-advertising it (quite nominal really)

It would have to be in your lease that you can sublet and most standard leases prohibit this. That said landlords are open to negotiation these days if you can deal with them direct, an agent may not be so accomodating.

All in all it can work quite well provided you are in an area where rooms rent fast. The downside is you risk being left on the hook for monthly rent of €1200+ all on your own but this never happened in my own case and the area was popular and close to Dublin city.

:eek:
    Who in their right mind would pay you that? Fair play if you get away with it I suppose.

Advertisement