Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegan Crisps

Options
  • 21-03-2012 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hello all,

I thought I would ask the masses about crisps. I have been eating Hunky Dory cheese and onion as I read that they were vegan friendly but after reading the other thread on boards, I am not sure - does anyone know if they are good?

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

there supposed to be vegan. most ready salted crisps are

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

emcnicho wrote: »
    Hello all,

I thought I would ask the masses about crisps. I have been eating Hunky Dory cheese and onion as I read that they were vegan friendly but after reading the other thread on boards, I am not sure - does anyone know if they are good?

Thanks
    paky wrote: »
    there supposed to be vegan. most ready salted crisps are

Does not compute :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 21 emcnicho

I did wonder...anyway, do you know the answer to this life-and-death question (haha) ??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

No sorry, am veggie not vegan so never even look at the ingredients.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

some crisps use animal rennet in the process or as an ingredient. Walkers crisps come to mind.

update:
    We are pleased to confirm that milk lactose and dried milk have now been removed from the recipe of our Walkers Salt & Vinegar crisps.
    This new recipe has been in market for a number of weeks now and during this time we have been introducing new packaging, with updated ingredients declarations and Allergy Advice boxes, into our factories.
    Whilst all our Salt & Vinegar crisps are now made to the new recipe without milk, a number of 25g Salt & Vinegar bags included in our Walkers Multipacks have gone into market with the old packaging that incorrectly states they contain milk lactose and dried milk. This labelling contradicts the outer packaging of the Multipacks which has been updated and correctly does not list milk as an ingredient in Salt & Vinegar. We would like to sincerely apologise our valued consumers who may have noticed this error and felt confused or anxious at the misinformation. We are acting immediately to ensure this mismatch in the ingredients listed on pack is rectified ASAP.
    We would like to reassure all customers that there are no dairy ingredients in bags of Salt and Vinegar with the Best Before dates after 29/10/11.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 westkryveggirl

not sure about the hunky dory ones..if they list cheese on the ingredient list then no they arent vegan friendly though they may be vegetarian friendly depending on what type of rennet is used.

however, though it sounds insane for cheese and onion crisps to be vegan, one of my friends buys a brand from i think lidl or aldi that is a cheese and onion flavor, with no cheese listed on the ingredients, so...it seems it is possible

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

King Cheese & Onion don't list cheese, milk, etc. etc. on their ingredients list. Seemingly vegan-friendly. But I've never managed to get a straight answer on them. If anyone can provide one I'd be much obliged :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

however, though it sounds insane for cheese and onion crisps to be vegan, one of my friends buys a brand from i think lidl or aldi that is a cheese and onion flavor, with no cheese listed on the ingredients, so...it seems it is possible

You'll find there's no actual buffalo in the buffalo crisps either.:D It's chemical flavourings (mostly). Most smokey bacon or barbeque beef flavours could be veggie. Walkers 'roast chicken' does have chicken extract in it though so check 'em all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

Does not compute :confused:

sorry i forgot to insert aswel

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭iainconlon12

Hunky Dorys are vegan according to the ingredients. The Buffalo flavours now have milk in 'em now though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭spiralbound

Yep, based on the ingredients list I reckon cheese and onion and salt and vinegar at least are vegan. No obvious milk ingredients, they say 'suitable for vegetarians', and where there are milk ingredients, it's listed as 'contains milk' - i.e. the sour cream and onion aren't vegan - haven't checked them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Hunky Dorys are vegan according to the ingredients. The Buffalo flavours now have milk in 'em now though.

I know they used to be my fave :(

M+S do lots of crisps suitable for vegans from what I can make out from the list of ingredients. I love the bloody mary flavoured ones.

It makes me mad that S+V crisps are nearly always off limits because of milk. Anyone know if the new King burdocks ones are ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Steffi

Vegan crisps (these are just the ones I get, I'm sure there are others)
    Hunky Dory cheese & onion, salt & vinegar
    Doritos chilli heatwave
    Walkers mystery flavours B & C, ready salted, caramelised onion & balsamic vinegar
    Tesco salted tortilla chips

Advertisement