Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North Kerry Task Force

Options
  • 21-03-2012 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,052 ✭✭✭✭

Is going to be the usual waffle where the only thing that actually gets set up is the task force itself? It seems to me that any viable projects that do head in this direction, get shot down in flames, or drag on for an eternity because of the screwing around that goes on afterwards, the GPCE and LNG projects to name but two.

I can't help being cynical.

North Kerry needs task force to avert jobs disaster

UNEMPLOYMENT in north Kerry is so bad that the area needs a special task force to help avoid economic disaster.
    A special task force is now being set up to address the economic crisis in north Kerry, where nearly 10,000 people remain out of work with little or no prospect of employment

http://www.kerryman.ie/news/north-kerry-needs-task-force-to-avert-jobs-disaster-3056775.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

So, who exactly is on this task force and how are they appointed?

Can I look forward to a new array of pointless FÁS courses to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭whistlingtitan

Sardonicat wrote: »
    So, who exactly is on this task force and how are they appointed?

Can I look forward to a new array of pointless FÁS courses to do?
    7000 jobs lost by the fools in county offices over the last few years we don't need a task force we need a new council

• Registered Users Posts: 24,052 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

7000 jobs lost by the fools in county offices over the last few years we don't need a task force we need a new council

You can't leave out the IDA, Shannon Development, and any other cozy "job-creation" bodies.

I can only assume that the people responsible for job creation in Kerry don't actually do anything, because if they did, there would surely be no need for a task force.

Any news on the task-force, all is quiet?

I wonder what the figure will be at the end of this year, now we've got this super-duper task-force?
    Jobless up 150% in ten years

by Owen O’Shea
    The vast scale of Kerry’s unemployment crisis was again highlighted this week, this time in the annual report of the Department of Social Protection, which reveals that the number of jobless in the county has almost tripled in the past ten years.
    At the end of last year, there were 16,906 on the Live Register in the county, the highest end-of-year total ever recorded.
    At the end of 2002, the CSO recorded an unemployment tally of 6,704.

http://www.kerryseye.com/jobless-up-150-in-ten-years.html

• Advertisement

Nice to see that our homegrown Kerry group is creating 900 jobs in Naas!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I wonder if it occurred to someone in authority in Kerry e.g. one of our wondrous politicians, that they might possibly persuade the Kerry Group to build the complex in North Kerry?

What a feckin joke!:mad:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/1009/breaking15.html

Kerry Group to create 900 jobs

Food ingredients company Kerry Group is to create 900 new jobs as part of a €100 million investment in Kildare.
    The company is to invest €100 million in the establishment of a global technology and innovation centre in Naas.
    Some 900 jobs as well as 400 immediate construction jobs will be created as a result of the investment part-funded by the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation through Enterprise Ireland.
    "This is the largest single investment in food innovation ever by a company in Ireland, and puts Ireland firmly at the forefront of global food innovation," Minister for Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation Richard Bruton said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Nice to see that our homegrown Kerry group is creating 900 jobs in Naas!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I wonder if it occurred to someone in authority in Kerry e.g. one of our wondrous politicians, that they might possibly persuade the Kerry Group to build the complex in North Kerry?

Crazy, as I said in another thread there are not going to be 900 new jobs created - All R&D and innovation and IT will be moved out of existing factories including Listowel and moved to Naas. A few hundred Kerry staff are currently working and living out of a wing in the Crowne Plaza hotel near the airport in Dublin and these will be moved to Naas also. The majority of the other jobs will be people reclocated from the Kerry site in Bristol. This is all just political spin - Kerry had 3 potential sites for this - Naas, a site in the UK and Holland. I presume they got tax breaks and concessions to stay in Ireland.

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Crazy, as I said in another thread there are not going to be 900 new jobs created - All R&D and innovation and IT will be moved out of existing factories including Listowel and moved to Naas. A few hundred Kerry staff are currently working and living out of a wing in the Crowne Plaza hotel near the airport in Dublin and these will be moved to Naas also. The majority of the other jobs will be people reclocated from the Kerry site in Bristol. This is all just political spin - Kerry had 3 potential sites for this - Naas, a site in the UK and Holland. I presume they got tax breaks and concessions to stay in Ireland.

So we're being conned again?:mad:

It seems that in reality, Listowel has actually lost jobs with the IT department moving to Naas, which means that whatever contribution the members of the Listowel IT department made to the local economy in Kerry has gone down the crapper.

It's ironic that Denis Brosnan, the ex Kerry Group CEO, was the one who announced the launch of Jobs Task Force (even though it appears to have sunk without trace after sliding off the slipway).:(

So we're being conned again?:mad:

It seems that in reality, Listowel has actually lost jobs with the IT department moving to Naas

Correct, not just IT - R&D and a number of other areas also. There were tears when this was announced to employees last Tuesday.

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Correct, not just IT - R&D and a number of other areas also. There were tears when this was announced to employees last Tuesday.

From what I've heard about that outfit, if they want you to emigrate to one of their far-flung worldwide facilities, you go whether you like it or not. I know a fellah who was told to go to the US years ago, and he went with his family, and none of them wanted to go. It was either go or have no job.:(

If Enda and his mob spent more time here persuading homegrown Irish companies to invest in jobs in this country, he wouldn't have to waste his time going overseas to persuade foreigners to invest here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

They already had/have the perfect site in Tralee (over in the Mileheight) for this new complex.

This site was originally earmarked by Kerry Foods in 1990 BUT instead they located to SHILLELAGH in Co. Wicklow ! (due to the (SIPTU) Unions mishandling of the preliminary negotiations)

Only a matter of years now before 'KERRY WILL NO LONGER BE IN KERRY' !

Tralee was never even considered for this. They required it to be near an international airport. The headquarters will remain in Tralee but it will be a token effort.

....... anyway, enough of the failures, how's Jimmy's Task Force coming along?:confused:

An artist's sketch of the latest ground-breaking meeting. I think that a certain FG TD is being put into the teapot for some reason.:confused:

john-tenniel-the-hatter-s-mad-tea-party-the-hatter-and-the-hare-put-the-dormouse-in-the-tea-pot.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

....... anyway, enough of the failures, how's Jimmy's Task Force coming along?:confused:

You could easily have said....."Anyway, speaking of failures, how's....."

Advertisement