Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bra measurements

• 21-03-2012 7:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46

Hi all,

I have a friend who is a larger lady and we were out shopping a few days ago. I popped into Arnotts to buy a multi way bra for a dress I had just bought. And we got talking about Bra's and she showed me her Bra. I was horrifed, the back was digging into her and the cup was to small,she was oozing out of it, it was a total mess but she wouldnt get measured she was too embrassed too.

I get measured once a year in Bravissimo in Liverpool and buy most of my bra's over there cause I have family over there and visit a few times a year. they are just brilliant so helpful, I even ring them sometimes if I'm really stuck and get them to hold whatever bra they think will work for me and my sister in law picks it upfor me. Just LOVE that brand

Does anyone know where she could get fitted correctly and not feel embrassed and could get a few decent bra's. She said she THINKS she is a 42DD or 42D but I really don't know how big she is, her bra was so ill fitting. She must be bigger than that in cup size at least. Id say its painful wearing a bra for her so I really want to discretly suggest she get fitted correctly. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

I'm a 38ff and i find it hard to get a bra. there would only be 1 or 2 bras in the shop that would fit me. Triumph or fantasie brands seem best for me but not sure what sizes to go to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Tell her to go get fitted. Most of the dept stores will do it, some charge a fee, but its knocked off the prices of a bra if you get one.
    Just has to be done.

Debenhams do a free bra fitting service.

There is no embarrassment with getting fitted.. everyone should have it done. We have a good range of bra's that go up to like, 46/48 on the back, so there will be no problem with fitting your friend.

Just tell her to pop into any of the Debenhams stores, no appointment is necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭mysteries1984

Hihello wrote: »
    Does anyone know where she could get fitted correctly and not feel embrassed and could get a few decent bra's.

+1 on Bravissimo!

Anyway, the first place I ever got measured was Arnott's, so I'd recommend there. I love the staff in Clery's too, very down to earth and never too busy, although I don't know if they actually measure or not.

She needs to get measured, especially if she's a larger lady, as you put it :D She's opening herself up to all sorts of back problems. The women in these places are so used to it, they don't even think twice - they certainly aren't embarrassed. A bit like going to get a smear or an intimate wax; they're used to it, so don't sweat it. At least that's the way I look at it.

One other potential incentive - I went down a dress size when I got measured properly. I was a 36F but was wearing a 40D that Marks and Spencer's had incorrectly measured me as. Worth a mention anyway :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Mentioned here many times, but I highly recommend Bramora, Earlsford Terrace
    http://bramora.com/

They also favour the Bravissimo type bra fitting on the back as against, for example, M&S, and have been a revelation for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 154 ✭✭ArtOfEscape

If your friend isn't comfortable with being fitted, I'd suggest finding her size by her measurements, going to a shop and trying on a couple of different band / cup size combinations until she finds the one that fits well. The band should be horizontal across her back and under the shoulderblades, the cup should hold her in without being loose or bulging at the front or sides, and shouldn't fall down if she takes the straps off her shoulders.

I think it's also important to bear in mind that a particular size won't fit the same in each shop, so it's worth trying a few sizes in each place to find what works!

To find her band size, she can take her underbust measurement in inches and add 4" if it's an even number or 5" if it's odd to get an even number. For cup size, she should take her measurement across the fullest part of the bust and subtract it from the band size. If the difference is 0", she's an A cup, if it's 1", she's a B cup, and so on throguh C, D, DD, E, F, FF, G etc.

Best of luck! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46 Hihello

Thanks for all the help everyone I said it to her yesterday and we are going out next sat to get her fitted. We are gonna try a few different places and if all else fails ill get her to try on a good few bra's until I find one that seems to do the job!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

I'm a real bravissimo fan too. They provide a super service. I've been to their shops in Liverpool and in London (near Oxford Circus) and they're always so nice and so helpful.

If your friend can't get to them, then I'd recommend either Arnotts or Brown Thomas in Grafton Street. I'd say stay away from M&S - they just don't do the brands for us better endowed girls ;). The experienced staff in Arnotts and BT's are really great and not at all intimidating. I know she won't look back once she gets fitted for the right size. Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Was just going to start a thread on this. Will go into Debenhams so. The bad boys need to be measured its been years and I'm sick of stuffing them into too tight bras:o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

You won't believe the difference! Defo get measured!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

The older ladies in Clery's are absolutely amazing! Last time I went in there one them spent at least half an hour with me, measured me, explained how a bra should fit and gave me loads of styles to try on.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Allure_

had the same problem,i went to clearys to a girl with short black hair,quite small.She was so helpful and after being measured in so many stores and walking out miserable each time ,she spent a good hour helping me and made sure i went out happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Change in the Pavillions in Swords is brilliant to get measured in. They really know their stuff and their bras are top quality. I won't go anywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Gall2005

Re Bra measuring

Yesterday I got measured for bra size and was told I was a 34d, last year I was measured at 32d, Iv lost a couple of pounds lately and was shocked that I had gone up inches, I didn't think the lady measuring was great, she didn't measure cup and took a guess after measuring under bust. The night before I had tried on a 32c bra and felt it fitted much better than the 32d. Now Im not sure. I measured myself then at home and I measure 30inches under bust, a lot of websites say to add 4 inches to this, is this right, making me a 34, I feel 34 inch would be far too loose and not provide proper support. any knowledge on this would be appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Gall2005 wrote: »
    Re Bra measuring

Yesterday I got measured for bra size and was told I was a 34d, last year I was measured at 32d, Iv lost a couple of pounds lately and was shocked that I had gone up inches, I didn't think the lady measuring was great, she didn't measure cup and took a guess after measuring under bust. The night before I had tried on a 32c bra and felt it fitted much better than the 32d. Now Im not sure. I measured myself then at home and I measure 30inches under bust, a lot of websites say to add 4 inches to this, is this right, making me a 34, I feel 34 inch would be far too loose and not provide proper support. any knowledge on this would be appreciated.

http://www.brasizecalculator.tk/ Try this, more accurate than the 'plus 4' system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Gall2005 wrote: »
    Re Bra measuring

With a 30" underbust you could be as low as a 30 band in some styles, but may feel more comfortable in a 32 band - 30D if you're getting a reasonable fit in a 32C. I would recommend following the calculator mentioned in the previous post though - it is based on the hivemind of the A Bra That Fits subreddit and is pretty accurate. It gives me the same results as a Bravissimo in-store fitting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Gall2005

Thanks so much, I totally agree, I tried on a 34 bra yesterday in both a c and d and there was no support whatsoever, I don't understand adding on 4 inches to whatever measurement you get, as is state don a lot of websites. So your thinking whatever u measure at underbust is the band measurement.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ToTriOrNot

I know I am wearing the wrong size, but I find very difficult to get my size. i think i'm a 40 D or there abouts, but I find most places don't have that size..and I end up with whatever is available...and after 2 pregnancies and years of bf, I am in need of a good supportive bra. Got one recently in Shaws, but the front feels wrong, in doesn't sit well on my chest bone..also, sport bras, where to get the best?

The +4 method is outdated, it comes from a time when bras didn't stretch anywhere near as much as they do now so you had to go 4" up in the band to be able to breathe! With modern materials +0 or +2 for band size are generally more accurate measurements. Thinner women (underbust under 28-30") and muscular women are the exceptions - +4 is valid for some heavy lifting women, women who participate in sports which require large amounts of upper body strength and serious swimmers, and thinner women often find +2 more comfortable than +0 because there is less stretch to an already short band and they have less "squish" around their ribcage.

It's worthwhile taking your measurements and using the calculator, then going into Arnotts or Debenhams and taking in a pile of bras to try on in the size given by the calculator, and a few either side. The calculator is just a starting point really - you'll know when you start trying bras on, and remember to swoop and scoop!

ToTriOrNot - you should be able to get Shock Absorber bras in Debenhams (and they are often reduced in the sale) and Panache in Elverys. I'd chance a 38 band in Panache if you're thinking of something like that (Shock Absorber bands run small so I wouldn't risk it), but I'd also measure first. Bravissimo stock some sports bras in a 40 band, and the Enell sports bra (order online, I think lessbounce have them) is useful in larger band sizes too.

ToTriOrNot - you should be able to get Shock Absorber bras in Debenhams (and they are often reduced in the sale) and Panache in Elverys. I'd chance a 38 band in Panache if you're thinking of something like that (Shock Absorber bands run small so I wouldn't risk it), but I'd also measure first. Bravissimo stock some sports bras in a 40 band, and the Enell sports bra (order online, I think lessbounce have them) is useful in larger band sizes too.

Thanks Rainbow kirby, I have a shock absorber, i think it's a 38 D which was the biggest I could find in the shop (don't think they do 40!) and yeah, it's tight alright!!! Must try Elvery's next time, I desperately need one, as I only have the one (and a couple of the nike ones, which are not very good for support, but the they are ok-ish for certain low impact exercises)
    Which one would you recommend for under a tri suit?? something that will dry quickly and offer support needed for the run?

• Advertisement

I raced this year in a Panache sports bra - had good intentions of actually using the racerback clip, forgot to do it on race morning and ended up with the weirdest tan lines ever from it :pac: It isn't the quickest to dry but it is very comfortable. II have 3 of them in 3 different sizes, and lost enough weight during the season to basically work from my largest one (32GG) to smallest one (30G) between June and September...

If you can close a 38 band at all on a Shock Absorber, I'd consider trying a 38DD in the Panache. Amazon had them for £22 the last time I bought one - worth a try because they are around €45-50 in most places in Dublin unless you get them at sale prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭jeanrose770

To get properly fitted for a bra is very important. Especially, no offense, when you have that big of boobs. Proper support is necessary to help strain on the back. A racer back or thicker strapped would be important as well, to take pull off of the shoulders.
    There are many stores that do free measurements and have very nice ladies to help find some comfortable styles.

I raced this year in a Panache sports bra - had good intentions of actually using the racerback clip, forgot to do it on race morning and ended up with the weirdest tan lines ever from it :pac: It isn't the quickest to dry but it is very comfortable. II have 3 of them in 3 different sizes, and lost enough weight during the season to basically work from my largest one (32GG) to smallest one (30G) between June and September...

If you can close a 38 band at all on a Shock Absorber, I'd consider trying a 38DD in the Panache. Amazon had them for £22 the last time I bought one - worth a try because they are around €45-50 in most places in Dublin unless you get them at sale prices.

LOL at the tan lines!!! WOW a 30 back...I am very wide, so don't think that even weight loss will get me to that!!!
    I will definitely be on the look out for one of the Panache, I have seen reviews somewhere else...would like to try first in a shop, and them price them around online!! Thanks for all the recommendations.

I'm not exactly small (size 10-12 bottoms, 12 top) - just very careful about being properly fitted, and it just so happens that my ribcage is relatively small!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Fafasmurf

I HATE bra shopping... hate hate hate hate hate it. Think I'm 38FF but I would have to be awkward and be inbetween sizes, that's why I hate bra fittings.

The price of bras is absolutely ridiculous and when you're unemployed spending €30-€50 on ONE bra is just not an option hence me having mine for well over a year now. Tell your friend to wear a little vest top if she's embarassed, she doesn't have to stand there in her bra and no top on.

I wish there were more bravissimo stores in Ireland. I went to one in Glasgow a few years ago and it was like the Disneyland of bra shopping.

Check the sale rails in Debenhams - they tend to have quite a few in the D-G range with 70% off.

Advertisement