Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good heavy-duty fire grate

Options
  • 21-03-2012 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know where these are available? I've tried Wogans and a few home-ware shops in Dundalk but all they have are those flimsy, built-to-fail ones.

I've gone through 3 grates over the last 9 months, and that's not even with heavy usage. I use a smokeless fuel which tends to be harder on the grates.

Any tips/help greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Dunnes Fireplaces have a big place on the corner of Castletown road/Ard Easmuin rd, (called chimney corner aptly enough).I would be sure you pick one up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Mulhollands in Park st?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Dealgan fireplaces down by Toberona?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Pat Holland in Park Street

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Thanks for the suggestions :D I'll give those shops a go tomorrow.

Most of the places I've tried so far only seem to stock grates from the one manufacturer, DeVille. Other than that, all I've come across are stupidly elaborate and expensive ones like this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's nothing to do with the smokeless coal - just quality.

The first 2 I had lasted about 2 years each. The third, and current one, is like new after 23 years of daily fires.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It's nothing to do with the smokeless coal - just quality.

The first 2 I had lasted about 2 years each. The third, and current one, is like new after 23 years of daily fires.

I'm bumping a two year old thread but fcuk it.. grate's banjaxed again!

Where the feck did you get that one that has lasted you 23 years with daily fires?

No way was it in Holland's.. that's where I got the last one and it's in five pieces already!

A friend of mine has had his for 7 years and there's not even a blemish on it. I'm fed up buying 2 per year. Would much rather pay a good bit more for one that will last.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

If anyone watches the Irish Dragons Den there was a product on in the last year called an Olympic Grate Plate. It's basically a steel plate which sits in the middle of the grate and apparently makes it last longer. The dragons all agreed that it was a great product but none invested as there wasn't enough potential for the company to grow and make big money back.

May be worth a look!

Olympic-Grate-Saver.jpg

http://purchase.ie/grate-saver

• Registered Users Posts: 1 washermike

Have you had any joy finding a place to make one? I had a quote for 150 euro which I thought was a bit much.

Advertisement