Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mahon Tribunal report - merge

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No one will be found guilty of anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

id say bertie is really shitting himself:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Is this a rumour? What excuse will they issue in the morning to hang on to it for longer? 15 years - holy sh1t. It's been ready since 2007 though. 5 years was spent drinking tea and coffee and pretending to work.

.....absolutely. He won't be able to answer the listed phone for days.

• Advertisement

Good!

May he now copy hitler and take his own advice and take a rope to his neck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

As someone said on Twitter -"it cost €250 million, it better be in 3D"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

How many euros were spent per letter in the report?

ilovesleep wrote: »
    Good!

May he now copy hitler and take his own advice and take a rope to his neck.

i thought herr hitler blew his brains out

...that was his double. Hitler survived the war and worked for many years as a Christian Brother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Didn't he take Cyanide, before he shot himself? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

one thing us Irish are world class at is tribunals

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Didn't he take Cyanide, before he shot himself? ;)

he did, Lord rest him

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Predictions.

1. Mr Ahern will get a stern telling off.
    (Swiftly followed by a booting from the FF party - at most! He must be sick over that one... LOL NOT!!!)

2. The un-named involved in the Drumconrda Mafia, the Golden Circle ten, and Mr Aherns buddies further involved in business transactions as well as those also involved in the Dail, will remain un-named and even in for years to come, unquestioned.

3. There will be calls for legal reform - nothing new there. These calls have been around for years but it will be brought up again.
    Its good PR for the masses who will move on in six months time and by the whole, forget about these needed changes - and the politicians know this.

4. The Dail debate will get heated - one blaming the other side - then they will all have drinkies together in the Dail bars (there's two) and/or restaurant.

5. The un-named will sleep better tomorrow night with glee!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

People will be implicated.
    They'll do a Michael Lowry & say they don't agree.
    Report will get sent to a sub-committee to examine the recommendations.
    We'll never hear of it again.
    €250 million well spent.

What was the purpose of this tribunal aside from filling up the pockets of the legal profession and protecting those who did wrong with dodgy from the law and revenue?

I know Berty had dodgy incomes and expenses but Berty isn't the only man in this tribunal. There was more who were investigated. Maybe somebody here will be able to fill me in on who else and for what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

What a money racket these tribunals are. Who gets to work on them? Do they all throw their names into a hat and the winners get picked to preside over them. It would be as good as winning the lotto. Talk about a ****ed system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

ColeTrain wrote: »
    What a money racket these tribunals are.
    They are. We should really do these kinds of enquiries better, maybe Oireachtas enquiries with the power to compel witnesses.
    Wait no... we rejected that approach in the last referendum.
    Ah well, back to tribunals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

dvpower wrote: »
    They are. We should really do these kinds of enquiries better, maybe Oireachtas enquiries with the power to compel witnesses.
    Wait no... we rejected that approach in the last referendum.
    Ah well, back to tribunals.
    The Garda fraud squad (expand it if required) followed by the criminal courts are where this type of thing should be handled, not through never ending tribunals where nothing actually comes of it, and not through an investigation by your peers who have little or no teeth anyway, no matter who they can compel to appear before them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

kippy wrote: »
    The Garda fraud squad (expand it if required) followed by the criminal courts are where this type of thing should be handled, not through never ending tribunals where nothing actually comes of it, and not through an investigation by your peers who have little or no teeth anyway, no matter who they can compel to appear before them.
    Its criminal investigations or nothing?

That's Frank Dunlop and Liam Lawlor getting a let off - the Garda enquiries that preceded Mahon came up empty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

patwicklow wrote: »
    After 15 years has made a good few millionaires in the process

Perhaps we need a new tribunal to find out why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Perhaps we need a new tribunal to find out why?

An extra 180 euro on the house charge would go a long way paying for one..:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

dvpower wrote: »
    Its criminal investigations or nothing?

That's Frank Dunlop and Liam Lawlor getting a let off - the Garda enquiries that preceded Mahon came up empty
    Yep, proper criminal investigations or nothing. I mean what is the point having any enquiry if nothing happens at the end of it?

We dont have a unit within the gardai to deal specifically with this type of thing and they have always been way understaffed. Althought come to think of it, this would almost fall directly within the remit of CAB or an amended function of the CAB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭shangri la

Need to audit these thieves.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Voodoo_rasher

best career guidance you could give your children is advise them to study law. "Its a legal gravy train, son". "You'll never be short of (lucrative work) err.....tribunals"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

I fail to see the point in these ridiculous tribunals - this one is going to cost between €250 million - €300 million.

No one will be prosecuted...

No one will be jailed...

No one will be sacked...

And to top it off, the overall cost of this thing is more than these crooks ever stole plus it has made millionaires of a lot of barristers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭blackwhite

mike65 wrote: »
    No one will be found guilty of anything.

Of course they won't. It's a tribunal, not a trial.
    It has the power to conclude on what it believes to have happened. Findings of guilt or otherwise are outside of its remit.

The only way somebody can be convicted (i.e. "found guilty") as a result of a tribunal is if the tribunal has uncovered sufficient evidence for the DPP to subsequently launch a prosecution in the Courts, and secure a conviction.

Another reason why these tribunals of inquiry are nothing but a monumental waste of money. Give the Gardai proper resources (and expert training) to investigate these types of thing and let proper criminal investigations commence

It's out and here I was thinking that they were going to hang onto it for another 5 years.

It found that Bertie is a liar:

Read here:
    http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056582880&page=2

• Advertisement

Page 2481 of the report states that much of the explanation provided by Bertie Ahern as to the source of the substantial funds identified and inquired into during the Tribunal’s public hearings was deemed by the Tribunal to have been untrue.

Well no schite Sherlock!
    There's a surprise well worth waiting for!

Here is the Mahon Tribunal introduction: http://cdn.thejournal.ie/media/2012/03/mahon1.pdf
    Quite significantly we have learned so far that the tribunal has quite categorically rejected Bertie Ahern’s evidence that he received so-called dig outs from friends during the 90s. He failed to truthfully account for over €165,000 that passed through his accounts. This may be stating the obvious but that is not good news for the former Taoiseach.

http://www.thejournal.ie/liveblog-the-mahon-tribunal-publishes-its-final-report-392269-Mar2012/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

untruthful and uncooperative, but no evidence of corruption....

The site www.planningtribunal.ie seems to be having problems - I wonder why! LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

As much as it doesn't come as a surprise that the little **** is being exposed for the lying, cheating, corrupt man he is, nothing will come of this. We have a history of letting things like this slide, and the same will apply here. It'd be fantastic if Bertie was arrested and held to account for his ways, but it wont happen. Millions of euros wasted so that we can go 'yep, thought so' and then things will carry on as usual.

DIRECT download link to report: http://www.flood-tribunal.ie/images/sitecontent_921.pdf
    56mb.

(Better off right-clicking on and selecting "Save as" or your browser equivalent)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

Unsurprisingly he hasn't been found corrupt but he has been found to have lied.

Was this under oath? If so, is he liable for perjury?

(I was going to ask if he will be done for perjury but I think I know the answer to that)

• Advertisement

^^^ This country and the higher establishment in this country is corrupt. Laws for us the little men that the higher establishment is protected from.

mconigol wrote: »
    Unsurprisingly he hasn't been found corrupt but he has been found to have lied.

Was this under oath? If so, is he liable for perjury?

(I was going to ask if he will be done for perjury but I think I know the answer to that)

Not a hope!
    Its a breaking of a serious law - but no, he will get away with it.

Biggins wrote: »
    Not a hope!
    Its a breaking of a serious law - but no, he will get away with it.

I realise that will probably never happen. Just wondering if it is perjury.

Anyway it appears he was under oath so suppose it is. (At least from the quick google I did)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

seriously doubt anything will happen to bertie over this. the tribunal doesnt believe him but can find evidence of where the money actually came from, so nothing for them to give to the DPP to start a case against him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

Anyone implicated who is still in politics will be returned to the dail as a poll topper.

• Advertisement

Faolchu wrote: »
    seriously doubt anything will happen to bertie over this. the tribunal doesnt believe him but can find evidence of where the money actually came from, so nothing for them to give to the DPP to start a case against him.

Yes, I notice it's all worded as "rejected evidence" as oppose to "lied". I'm sure there a technicality there somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

Yes, I notice it's all worded as "rejected evidence" as oppose to "lied". I'm sure there a technicality there somewhere.

probably a few "Allegedly"s thrown in there too.

he'll keep his head down for a few months then turn up with that same **** eating grin on his face and the same old hands will pat him on the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

By not being branded 'corrupt' by the Tribunal, it at least means that he can't use 'wont get a fair ciminal trial because have already been labelled corrupt by a civil tribunal' if the DPP does decide to go ahead with a prosecution.

So theres still some small hope.

For sure!

I'll say it again - the last place they (FF, FG and Labour) want to see him, is in the dock in case he starts spilling who is more involved and his funny blank spaced memory comes back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Like usual nothing will happen the elites protect their own. Im not surprised in the least by this.

Darragh Colleary on Pat Kenny

Does the fact that there was insufficient evidence on which to assume that Bertie Ahern is corrupt, does this mean he is fully off the hook?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

What is needed is an agency like the CAB that is outside the remit of the government to investigate, prepare bring cases before a jury, no need for drawn out show trials, present the charges, interview the witnesses and the defendant, and let a jury of normal people decide. if it's good enough for murder cases, it's good enough for this.

We have some real problems with corruption here, but more than this we have a problem of impotently accepting corruption.

Take Ray Burke, convicted of corruption, yet when someone mentions his terrible Corrib Gas giveaway deal on Politics, most people (including mods), will defend this corruption as normal operating procedure in the energy industry.

Same with the few people with the balls to say something in the Ocuppy Camps, according to boards users they are stinkin hippies who don't know their place.

If you guys have a better idea, I'd like to hear it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Just heard on the news it took 3k pages to tell us Bertie is a liar,sure everyone knew that already

Dubit10 wrote: »
    Like usual nothing will happen the elites protect their own. Im not surprised in the least by this.

Would it be fair to have assumed that before the tribunal was established?

• Advertisement
Advertisement