Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mahon Tribunal report - merge

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

This report will contain more fiction than the twilight saga.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

Just heard on the news it took 3k pages to tell us Bertie is a liar,sure everyone knew that already

But there was insufficient evidence to tell us he was corrupt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

swtkk.png

If this doesnt kill off the FF party there is something wrong with Irish people

Faolchu wrote: »
    swtkk.png

Brilliant

Brilliant

**** sherlock might be watching, that was courtesy of The Journal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Any of you who have managed to download that pdf should keep it safe.
    Possibly the most expensive PDF ever created by any state with costs running at upwards of 200 million.

The only outcome from it, is if you print it out, you can use it to wrap Bertie and those involved on the knuckles, which is more than the outcome of anything written in the report will achieve.

How long will it take for the FF party to mention the good friday agreement?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

A quarter of a billion euros. Savour that for a minute, and think about the good that money could have done elsewhere if Bertie had just been sat in front of a judge like everyone else.
    Spacedog wrote: »
    but more than this we have a problem of impotently accepting corruption.
    But sure what can we do, form vigilante groups? Point me in the direction of political representation that wants to get rid of the tribunals and get a refund from the lawyers, and they'll get a vote from me. The big parties have it all figured out with the civil service - they know for most people there are only two or three real options, so they can be as corrupt as one another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

Some good news, Pat Rabbitte returned 2k donation from Frank Dunlop. This gives me hope. I'm a glass half full guy and will take something from that, whether or not the rest of it is bad news.

But i think people should send their local TD an email demanding action. They will sit up and listen if enough people contact them, and it costs nothing to send an email. It's what i'll be doing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭howsyourtusk

Fran1985 wrote: »
    Some good news, Pat Rabbitte returned 2k donation from Frank Dunlop. This gives me hope. I'm a glass half full guy and will take something from that, whether or not the rest of it is bad news.

But i think people should send their local TD an email demanding action. They will sit up and listen if enough people contact them, and it costs nothing to send an email. It's what i'll be doing

Or you could do something useful like protesting on the streets. Loads of protests the next two weekends ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

Fran1985 wrote: »

wow, that's what a senior council barrister on the Mahon Tribunal would make in 1 day.... (almost)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Pee Flynn was always a cocky gobsh1te

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

Or you could do something useful like protesting on the streets. Loads of protests the next two weekends ;)

yeah, but seeing as there's so many keyboard warriors on this site, i thought i'd give them a chance to do something without getting off their chair, and instead of just giving out on here.
    wow, that's what a senior council barrister on the Mahon Tribunal would make in 1 day.... (almost)

so would you rather it was all bad news or would like to see that at least someone, who is currently in power, is in the job to serve his constituants, and not just feather his own nest?

The tribunal was satisfied that complaints made to the Gardai by Mr Gilmartin about Mr George Redmond, Mr Liam Lawlor & Cllr Finbarr Hanrahan were not thoroughly investigated by the Gardai in the course of their inquiry. Notwithstanding Superintendent Burns` evidence to the contrary

Page 2457 of the Mahon tribunal final report

Now the months and months long wait for the Anglo Irish Bank search warrant makes sense. Now you know why they gave them advance warning by getting the warrant on the Monday and not going in until the Tuesday with it. Anglo had a long time to hide whatever they wanted.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0224/anglo-business.html

How many politicians and bankers are in jail here ? The US have several in jail for very long periods, in China they put some to death! Here we allows the politicians to give them lump sum payments and huge pensions and sent them on their way.

Garda promotions of Superintendent and above are political appointments. The cabinet does this.

Wide open for corruption.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Tell me please about these protests.

Complete justification of the argument that the police are only there to protect the interests of politicians and their mates in big business. Disgusting, but nothing will be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Why did the Superintendent burn evidence to the contrary?

ah come on that deserved its own thread

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

An expensive exercise to confirm public knowledge of waste,greed and corruption among leaders and business connections.Many citizens have been denied adequate healthcare while the elite prospered and, no doubt, few will be satisfactorily punished and fined by the courts.Why should good citizens be compliant and trustful if this be the likely outcome?Indeed, why should a citizen continue to live here if an alternative be viable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sorry, it's all Mahon report. Try another forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Spacedog wrote: »
    We have some real problems with corruption here, but more than this we have a problem of impotently accepting corruption.

Take Ray Burke, convicted of corruption, yet when someone mentions his terrible Corrib Gas giveaway deal on Politics, most people (including mods), will defend this corruption as normal operating procedure in the energy industry.

Same with the few people with the balls to say something in the Ocuppy Camps, according to boards users they are stinkin hippies who don't know their place.

If you guys have a better idea, I'd like to hear it?

It's true that we have a problem with corruption in this country, we've also problem with people who refuse to engage their brains and to look at basic facts as they exist in reality - people like you who continue to propagate the myth that the government acted irrationally in the deal done in relation to Corrib. That government did a lot of terrible deals but that wasn't one of them. What we need in this country is a bit more honesty and less of the reactionary liveline style non-think of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

best career guidance you could give your children is advise them to study law. "Its a legal gravy train, son". "You'll never be short of (lucrative work) err.....tribunals"!

Probably the worst advice you could give a child at the moment. Don't be fooled by the top echelon of S.C's the profession in general is on its knees particularly at solicitor. Too many passed through Blackhall Place over the years, every Tom Dick and Harry went to study law and now there's not enough work to support the sheer amount of solicitors.
    King's Inns may be a better option for the youth but people forget you spend years on the breadline before you start making any real money as a barrister.

ilovesleep wrote: »
    Tell me please about these protests.

Rally for the Campaign Against Household Charge this Saturday, 1pm national stadium.

March on FG Ard Fheis, Saturday week, anti-austerity protestors are walking all the way from Donegal, they started this week, big crowd will join them in the Phoenix Park and march to national convention centre. Not sure on time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

An expensive exercise to confirm public knowledge of waste,greed and corruption among leaders and business connections.Many citizens have been denied adequate healthcare while the elite prospered and, no doubt, few will be satisfactorily punished and fined by the courts.Why should good citizens be compliant and trustful if this be the likely outcome?Indeed, why should a citizen continue to live here if an alternative be viable?

Indeed! Well said. The honest taxpayer is funding this sh1t. But we can't all just stop paying tax or we'll be just as fcuked as greece but we need to stamp out the top establishment abusing the taxpayer.

Page 2457 of the Mahon tribunal final report
    The tribunal was satisfied that complaints made to the Gardai by Mr Gilmartin about Mr George Redmond, Mr Liam Lawlor & Cllr Finbarr Hanrahan were not thoroughly investigated by the Gardai in the course of their inquiry. Notwithstanding Superintendent Burns` evidence to the contrary
    Now the months and months long wait for the Anglo Irish Bank search warrant makes sense. Now you know why they gave them advance warning by getting the warrant on the Monday and not going in until the Tuesday with it. Anglo had a long time to hide whatever they wanted.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0224/anglo-business.html

How many politicians and bankers are in jail here ? The US have several in jail for very long periods, in China they put some to death! Here we allows the politicians to give them lump sum payments and huge pensions and sent them on their way.

Garda promotions of Superintendent and above are political appointments. The cabinet does this.

Wide open for corruption.

These Garda failures just cost us 300 million.
    Why take 15 years and pay millions when your police force should be doing it?

Now its done without criminal charges and no chance of fines or jail time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Reading parts of the report so far, I would say it's a pretty frank and open report and very much pin pointing the "baddies"

I just hope that not only are reputations further ruined that there is some serious court cases and sentences handed down in the coming 2-3 years. It's not a surprise, but it's great that it's now official!

Have to also say kudos to Pat Rabbitte, he got money and sent it back. Show a bit of integrity!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

About 3000 pages and nothing useful or particularly noteworthy revealed. Plus, nothing will even come of it anyway.

I still don't understand why there wasn't a normal court procedure for the bastards rather than feicin around for years with this tribunal nonsense. What makes them above the law?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

So all the wrong doing amounted to a tiny fraction of the cost to investigate the wrong doing.
    This being Ireland there's nothing to guarantee their wont be any wrong doing in the future.

If I were the Glorious Supreme Leader of this State I'd be advocating the more cost friendly Chinese type solution to this problem.
    Alas I must wait for a few constitutional changes before I can accept my rightful place.

About 3000 pages and nothing useful or particularly noteworthy revealed. Plus, nothing will even come of it anyway.

I still don't understand why there wasn't a normal court procedure for the bastards rather than feicin around for years with this tribunal nonsense. What makes them above the law?

Because the Gardai didnt bother to look into it read my post above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭benway

RachaelVO wrote: »
    Reading parts of the report so far, I would say it's a pretty frank and open report and very much pin pointing the "baddies"

I just hope that not only are reputations further ruined that there is some serious court cases and sentences handed down in the coming 2-3 years. It's not a surprise, but it's great that it's now official!

Have to also say kudos to Pat Rabbitte, he got money and sent it back. Show a bit of integrity!

Agree with all of that ... I find it hard to stomach the "nothing will be done" crowd. Yes, I appreciate how worldly and wise you all are, but is there any need to be so defeatist?

On the basis of what's in the report, that I've read so far, there have to be prosecutions. No getting around it. If there aren't, the Minister for Justice, his party, his coalition partners and the Garda Commissioner will be equally guilty in all of this.
    Gilmore said categorically that any corrupt findings will be referred to the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) and the Revenue Commissioners.
    http://www.thejournal.ie/gilmore-if-mahon-finds-corruption-it-will-go-to-dpp-392366-Mar2012/

Because the Gardai didnt bother to look into it read my post above

Did you really need the Mahon Tribunal to guess that much, in fairness?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

They wrote the laws that way. Yes clowns as dangerously corrupt as Ahern and incompetent as Cowen were actually writing laws. And who's to object, the entire legal profession was getting paid off from your taxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

posted to wrong thead.. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Savage Henry

my 2 cent

Did you really need the Mahon Tribunal to guess that much, in fairness?

Its not a guess, I worked in the Department of Justice. I have first hand knowledge. I was told by people with smart ass attitudes "don`t rock the boat".

Am damn glad to be in Australia now - people like me who would kick up when things were corrupt would never get promoted so I jumped ship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Over 23 months (1993-95) Bertie Ahern squirrelled away about £160 grand Sterling..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

mike65 wrote: »
    Over 23 months (1993-95) Bertie Ahern squirrelled away about £160 grand Sterling..

but he doesnt have a bank account...

• Registered Users Posts: 28 florodon2

kippy wrote: »
    Any of you who have managed to download that pdf should keep it safe.
    Possibly the most expensive PDF ever created by any state with costs running at upwards of 200 million.

The only outcome from it, is if you print it out, you can use it to wrap Bertie and those involved on the knuckles, which is more than the outcome of anything written in the report will achieve.

Great idea. Now I wonder if Aengus Ó Snodaigh or any of the other Sinn Féin public reps will loan us a few ink cartridges? Or even the other type of cartridges!

• Advertisement

krudler wrote: »
    just a big mattress

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

krudler wrote: »

Mr Ahern stated he didn't have a bank account in Ireland.
    (Elsewhere? I am still wondering!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,200 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Biggins wrote: »
    Mr Ahern stated he didn't have a bank account in Ireland.
    (Elsewhere? I am still wondering!)

:DBeen done to death but still funny to me god damn it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Sad that most of the low-lifes mentionsd in the report are the same low-lifes that brought this country to its knees and even still telling us to this day that they can get us out of this mess. what a joke.
    we can only hope that this report is sent to the DPP without delay and proper justice takes its course. Any chance of that..???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,200 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Great Cuntry we live in here,bandits,morons and bank robbers rule and steal and when an investigation is done on them billions are pissed away over many years and when the truth comes out who cares. Either the people are dead or they are the Irish Yakuza,untouchables and modern day dictators rolled into one, NO ONE will ever be punished for any of this. Someone needs to get that ****er,Bertie needs to lose his balls.

• Advertisement

Should be our national anthem

There look to be about 6 people in the Dail at the moment discussing the "political funding bill 2011".
    Maybe I am picking this up wrong,
    but on this particular day, isn't it a bit shocking the complete lack of care that our elected reps have in discussing this particular bill??

Perhaps they are all off shredding paper.

I thought the dail only meets tuesdays and wednesdays..?

I thought the dail only meets tuesdays and wednesdays..?

http://www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.asp?fn=/documents/livewebcast/DailFlash512KB.htm

It could be something else I am watching but it definetly looks to be from the dail chamber.

I'm on my mobile so I can't see. Fair enough so! There's never anyone in the place anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement