Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

deathnote, subbed or dubbed?

• 21-03-2012 8:24pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Which do you prefer and why? I find English quality is usually not so great, how is it for deathnote?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

Subbed, because I'll take a potato chip and eat it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

ahaha

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Subbed 4 life! The English voices always fail to express the appropriate tones of Japanese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,807 ✭✭✭Evade

Nody wrote: »
    Subbed 4 life! The English voices always fail to express the appropriate tones of Japanese.
    I'm the complete opposite. I almost exclusively watch dubs because with subs even though I know what they're saying, I don't know how they're saying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I havent watched Death Note, but Im going to go ahead and say subbed because subbed is always better than the dub. Dubs are usually pretty poor in general and what Nody said above me.
    Hell even the so called good dubs aren't even that great to be honest, they're just a lot better than the usual cringeworthy crap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Evade wrote: »
    I'm the complete opposite. I almost exclusively watch dubs because with subs even though I know what they're saying, I don't know how they're saying it.

This is something that can be lost with dubs too. If you watch subs you eventually get an understanding for how they're saying it from hearing the language so much. Avoid poor fansubbers too (horriblesubs/Crunchyroll & GG to name a few)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭Nollog

Really?
    How can you tell any emotion at all from someone just blankly reading a line from a page?
    The Japanese voices express feeling with their words, and I think feelings of how a word is said and what it means in the context is universal.
    I'd compare it to someone saying "row", are they on a boat, are they in a fight?
    I can't tell any emotion when I watch a dub, but subs allow me to hear the way the character is saying what's there in subtitles.

I watch dubs when I can, because reading is a pain though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,807 ✭✭✭Evade

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Really?
    The Japanese voices express feeling with their words, and I think feelings of how a word is said and what it means in the context is universal.
    The thing is I don't know what the word that's said in a particular way means so it's lost on me.

Also, I rarely watch TV without doing something else at the same time which makes subs even more awkward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 154 ✭✭ArtOfEscape

The thing is I don't know what the word that's said in a particular way means so it's lost on me.

Also, I rarely watch TV without doing something else at the same time which makes subs even more awkward.
    This is me pretty much to a tee. I have no ear for Japanese expression of emotion and don't really have much time to devote to developing one, so I prefer dubs where they're available. Even the rubbish ones communicate more clearly to my untrained ear than the subtitles! Personally I found Deathnote to be one of the better voiced series.

Besides, I presume it is possible to have not-great Japanese voice actors as well as English ones? I think blanket statements on the dub/sub debate invariably come down to personal preference rather than broad generalisations about quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 154 ✭✭ArtOfEscape

Nody wrote: »
    That's what you'd expect, though, surely? The words aren't a direct translation so neither can the expression of the tone be exactly the same. And it's not like English-speaking actors do the whole thing monotone - they do inject emotion into their performances.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

That's what you'd expect, though, surely? The words aren't a direct translation so neither can the expression of the tone be exactly the same. And it's not like English-speaking actors do the whole thing monotone - they do inject emotion into their performances.
    But by comparison to how the tone of voice is used in Japanese anime the English narrators in a dubbed are monotone in their use of tone.

Here's an example:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Subbed all the way always.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 NinjaNinja

Personally I think that the dubbing on Death Note is quite good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 120percentDash

Not a sub vs dub argument :mad: I prefer dubs but that's just me, I really don't understand the people who say that dubs have no emotion, I mean I have come across a few dubs with crappy acting but that's just a minority. Most dubs have great acting, for instance the baccano dub sounds almost like it's meant to be in english.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,363 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Personally I prefer dubbed for anime and sub for live action. My reason being that bad dubbing/syncing is not as obvious in animated characters and, unlike live action, there's usually stuff happening onscreen that you want to concentrate on without reading the subtitles.

That and a lot of time there are some girls with very high pitched annoying voices that can go through me in the sub. :)

Of course I watched the live action movies with subs. So guess you could say I prefer both. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Sweded

Which do you prefer and why? I find English quality is usually not so great, how is it for deathnote?

I'll go for subbed, I really find original actor, actresses voice much appealing.

Advertisement