Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GATSO in Muff

Options
  • 21-03-2012 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

I'd just like to give a huge thank you to the driver who alerted me about the GATSO van just outside Muff today. You saved me from getting more points on my licence. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

No problem.

Thy dont call me muffler for nothing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,621 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You could also stop speeding too, that will stop you getting any more points.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

On the subject of GATSO vans, has anyone ever known of a fatal accident on the Killybegs road between the Four Masters and the Texeco garage. I ask because my understanding was that these vans were being placed where accidents had occured, yet I have seen the van parked there several times, and never on more dangerous stretches of road outside Donegal Town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

annascott wrote: »
    I'd just like to give a huge thank you to the driver who alerted me about the GATSO van just outside Muff today. You saved me from getting more points on my licence. :)

You don't tend to see as many people alerting others nowadays as you would have done in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

irish-stew wrote: »
    On the subject of GATSO vans, has anyone ever known of a fatal accident on the Killybegs road between the Four Masters and the Texeco garage. I ask because my understanding was that these vans were being placed where accidents had occured, yet I have seen the van parked there several times, and never on more dangerous stretches of road outside Donegal Town.
    i can only think of one bad one at the opel/kia garage (drimark turn off) but that was early 90s. no body was killed but for the placing of one car to stop another rolling it could have been different. nothing directly to do with speed either, moronic driver who tried to overtake in that area with all the turn offs.
    iv put that one down to money maker due to the 60k limit from the four masters pitch (what makes there to the roundabout different to the rest to texaco i dont know)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

I know of one fatal accident there, happened in the early 90's, a couple died in the crash

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Technique

yourpics wrote: »
    You don't tend to see as many people alerting others nowadays as you would have done in the past.

It's illegal to alert drivers oncoming drivers about a speed check.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Similarly, are there many accidents at Clar Chapel on Ballybofey road (Donegal town)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

byte wrote: »
    Similarly, are there many accidents at Clar Chapel on Ballybofey road (Donegal town)?

yes, within the last 2 years there was a fatal accident at Clar Chapel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

Technique wrote: »
    and yet the garda website displays all the gosafe locations... a court case there could be interesting... probably still prevention of justice though
    byte wrote: »
    was a death in september 2008 but cant think of any outside of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Technique wrote: »

Is that just for Garda speed cameras/gatso vans, and check points?

overshoot wrote: »
    and yet the garda website displays all the gosafe locations... a court case there could be interesting... probably still prevention of justice though

Plus there is signs on the road side to advice your entering a gosafe location.

Is that just for Garda speed cameras/gatso vans, and check points?

Plus there is signs on the road side to advice your entering a gosafe location.

There was a court case about this a few years back. It couldn't be proved that the guy was warning the other driver of a checkpoint. He said he thought the car was travelling fast and flashed at them to slow down.
    I don't see why it is illegal (if it actually is).

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

yourpics wrote: »
    There was a court case about this a few years back. It couldn't be proved that the guy was warning the other driver of a checkpoint. He said he thought the car was travelling fast and flashed at them to slow down.
    I don't see why it is illegal (if it actually is).
    I recall a case from a few years ago (probably a different one) but basically the guy was brought to court for flashing the lights at motorists approaching a checkpoint he had just come through.

One of the people he flashed his lights at happened to be a guard in his private car. Anyhow the guy told the judge that it was a very, very common thing for people here in Donegal to flash their lights at other cars and was akin to waving to them and was a local greeting and the judge (bless him) agreed and dismissed the charges against him.

muffler wrote: »
    I recall a case from a few years ago (probably a different one) but basically the guy was brought to court for flashing the lights at motorists approaching a checkpoint he had just come through.

One of the people he flashed his lights at happened to be a guard in his private car. Anyhow the guy told the judge that it was a very, very common thing for people here in Donegal to flash their lights at other cars and was akin to waving to them and was a local greeting and the judge (bless him) agreed and dismissed the charges against him.

Yeah I think that is the same case alright, thats another thing that isn't as common anymore, random waving!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ilzH2LG6Ic

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭mistermouse

I thought the RSA embraced the idea of giving people warning about spped locations, therefore putting the locations on the Internet and signs etc.

Surely if flashing lights gets other motorists to slow down its a good thig, ie that they slow down.

I thought the whole premise was to get people to slow down, not to catch them and make money from fines

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Its not illegal to warn motorists of the gosafe/gatso in fact you can park infront of them and flash all the cars you want, all you are doing is aiding them in getting people to slow down, however it would be illegal to flash someone approaching a garda checkpoint cause you would be preventing the garda from catching someone who has committed a crime and will continue to do the crime by avoiding the check point eg no insurance/tax drink driving

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

I remember one accident where a couple of people were killed near the GAA pitch, some tourists - driving on the wrong side of the road - crashed into another car.
    Also heard of an old fella being killed crossing the road there, knocked down by one of a pair of idiots racing up the road..

Advertisement