Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ideas for two ten year olds

Options
  • 21-03-2012 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

Me and my partner will be in kilkenny on holy thursday/good friday and looking for somewhere to go with two ten year olds we are willing to drive @20 miles within kilkenny( all reasonable ideas welcome) thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Try here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

The castle park makes for a nice walk and is fairly big. You could also take them up Canices tower at St Canices Cathedral, which is great fun if you're not afraid of heights. (climing up the inside) Its very safe dont worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

cocoshovel wrote: »
    The castle park makes for a nice walk and is fairly big. You could also take them up Canices tower at St Canices Cathedral, which is great fun if you're not afraid of heights. (climing up the inside) Its very safe dont worry.

Is that free or is there a charge?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

There's a charge. You could also take them to the Dunmore caves and go for a walk Jenkinstown woods, it's about 15 minute drive from the city. There used to be deers there, don't know if they still have them.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

deelite wrote: »
    Is that free or is there a charge?

edit: Sorry there is a charge for canices tower. I think I was charged €3 when I last went up a few years ago. Could anybody confirm if its even open in March?

The park is free, and has huge open greens, woods with various paths and a duck pond, childerens playground, as well as a rose garden with fountain at the front amongst other things.

But if you want to take a guided tour of the castle or go inside that costs you money. Not sure how much. Its really nice from the outside and you can walk around it all you want and its literally its accessible from anywhere in the town within 10 mins.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_nt0jQSTEc3A/TGGdMyR5CEI/AAAAAAAACRQ/FnwmmYziRIA/s1600/IMG_0493.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Under 12s are not permitted to climb the Round Tower at St Canice's.

If it's a miserable day then the roller skating rink at Kiddies Kingdom in Bagenalstown is great fun. They encourage adults to have a go as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Formosa

Mass on Good Friday will pass a couple of hours, I know it did for me when I was 10.

3pm in St Marys Cathedral, generally a full house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

What about go carting at Kiltorcan, Ballyhale, looks safe enough, or even the steam train at Kilmeaden, most kids love it "I like trains".
    Mahon falls and the magic tree, if its fine of course.
    If they like animals go to Gowran the reptile house it is totally absorbing, you can even hold snakes like boa's, it is about 10 euro for adults and cheaper for youngster's.
    If you are gardeners what about the Aborethum on Carlow road, and there is food as well.
    phone number for Kiltorcan is 087 2464872, or email [EMAIL="info@kiltorcan,com"]info@kiltorcan,com[/EMAIL] or web www.kiltorcan.com
    Enjoy the visit and have a super break.
    Foxy:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Formosa wrote: »
    Mass on Good Friday will pass a couple of hours, I know it did for me when I was 10.

3pm in St Marys Cathedral, generally a full house.
    I don't know, it's just not the same since they were stopped from attacking children. If you go to the Black Abbey you might catch a Jew bashing sermon instead.
    http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Irish-mass-goers-walk-out-over-priests-anti-Semitic-comments-126508223.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Nore Vally park, might have an easter egg hunt, is it still open?
    And what about the museum at comer, Castlecomer, big park mine museum, place to eat, presume that is srtill open?

• Advertisement

Castlecomer discovery park would be a good day out with kids.

A game of pitch n putt in Lacken?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

There's a lovely walk down under Ormond bridge. It would be particularly nice tomorrow night (Thursday) around 7PM after the days fine weather.

Coming from town, head out by the castle to the Bennetsbridge road roundabout, and turn left. Cross the bridge and you'll see a white van on the left hand side. Park there and you'll see the access path down to the walkway by the river.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

@Fabby: There's a time and a place, this isn't it.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Advertisement