Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveling abroad with ammo.

Options
  • 21-03-2012 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭

<MOD NOTE>

Discussion posts split out from for sale thread as there is good info on traveling with ammo if going abroad.

Original For Sale thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

LB6, just be aware that some airlines won't allow ammo in 'plastic' cases. While a peli is fine for the firearm itself- I use on and they er brilliant- some airlines insist on metal cases for ammo.
    It might be worth ringing the airline you're flying with to confirm this. Most people use the type of case Clive is offering, with the addition of a padlock attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Aer Lingus.

Ammunition is limited to 5kg per passenger and must be packed in containers of wood, metal, or fibreboard with the contents protected against any movement. Yep -- was going to put it into the locked wooden box I have for the rest.

Irish Ferries
    No ammunition allowed.

Stenna Line
    Carriage of Ammunition
    A maximum of 1000 cartridges of UN Class 1.4s may be carried in a private vehicle without documentation provided that the cartridges are in the original manufacturers packaging.
    Quantities in excess of this amount, or which are not Class 1.4s, must be declared and carried according to the full provisions of the IMDG Code; and only if the vessels "Dangerous Goods Document of Compliance" permits such carriage*.
    The ammunition will remain in the vehicle for the duration of the crossing provided that:
    a) The ammunition is out of sight locked in the boot or other secure area within the vehicle.
    b) The loading officer or his nominated deputy has confirmed that all doors to the vehicle are locked.
    c) Vehicle passengers will remain under close supervision until they have left the car deck.

Less hassle to go by Ferry :-)

Aer Arann (even working under the auspices of Aer Lingus)

No firearms or ammunition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

If you can get there by Ferry, all the better.

Looks to be the cheaper option alright. No car rental, no airport parking costs. Just the ferry and 1 extra night in the hotel. Will end up driving for couple of hrs in the middle of the night, but at least the stress of airports will be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭derek_g34

LB6 wrote: »
    Aer Lingus.

Ammunition is limited to 5kg per passenger and must be packed in containers of wood, metal, or fibreboard with the contents protected against any movement. Yep -- was going to put it into the locked wooden box I have for the rest.

5Kg limit is gross (includes the weight of the ammo box).

• Advertisement

"Aer Lingus will carry sports guns and ammunition cartridges subject to the following:

Sport Guns are to be dismantled.
    Sports Guns when dismantled are to be loaded with checked baggage.
    Sport Guns, ammunition and cartridges must be packed separately from other baggage.
    Sport Guns, ammunition and cartridges must be available for inspection by security.
    Ammunition is limited to 5kg per passenger and must be packed in containers of wood, metal, or fireboard with the contents protected against any movement.
    Subject to an extra charge for flights within Europe.
    Only the licensed firearm owner may check-in a Sport Gun upon presentation of their valid Firearm License at check-in.

Note: Sports Weapons/Firearms/Ammunition cannot be carried on Aer Lingus regional flights.
    Fees For Sports Guns And Ammunition
    €40/£32 or equivalent for all flights within Europe. (£37 for flights departing London Heathrow). This fee is payable at the airport on the day of departure. For flights to/from North America sports guns and ammunition may be carried under the normal baggage allowance.

Gas cigarette lighters are prohibited on all flights to and from the USA. Gas cigarette lighters can currently be carried on the person only on UK and European Routes.

If your booking was made on aerlingus.com you can book bags in advance by clicking here: Book Bag in Advance. You will need to know your Booking Reference as well as the Departure Airport, Arrival Airport and the email address used to make your booking.

Note: If you did not book online you will need to contact our Reservations Department in order to book your bags in advance."

http://www.aerlingus.com/Services/Guide_to_Dangerous_Goods.pdf

Ammunition (cartridges for weapons), securely packaged (in Division 1.4S, UN 0012 or UN 0014 only), in quantities not exceeding 5 kg (11lb) gross weight per person for that person's own use, excluding ammunition with explosive or incendiary projectiles. Allowances for more than one passenger must not be combined into one or more packages.

Ez -- maybe sticky this one for the time of year that's in it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I've added it to the important/useful thread announcement here. Under "General - Ferry & airline restrictions .........."

Want to keep it all centralised.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

The NASRPC did a couple of articles in 2010 about travelling abroad with firearms:

International Travel with Firearms Page 5 - 9

International Travel with Firearms (Part II) Page 12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

No ammo at all on aluminium hulled ferries BTW

demonloop wrote: »
    No ammo at all on aluminium hulled ferries BTW

Where did you find out that gem? It's not on the site :mad:

How do I know what hull is on the R-F ferry?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Scalachi

The Sea Cat type ferries, small catamaran type are the ones that can't take firearms, so the DunLaoighre to Hollyhead service for example.

The main Dublin Port-Hollyhead or Rosslare-Fishguard are fine.

Regards

DB

Phew - this is stressful enough without having to worry 'bout a hull on a boat.

Tx D. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Unless you load target ammo yourself or you've batchtested high end target ammo why would you bother carrying it on a plane or ferry ? You can buy just about any type and brand ammo at a lower price anywhere else in Europe. And that by the way is not meant as a remark directed towards Irish dealers, they probably pay the distributors more for wholesale prices than you get retail in some countries on the continent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Where ya off te lb??

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

LB6 - Way back in the good days of pistol shooting, one of our guys made ammo boxes for us when travelling to Indonisia for the World Shoot XV, we had a three leg flight out, what a trip...:)

img2633fm.jpg

Meathstevie - I've been using using same batch for a while now, and not doing too bad with it, so want to bring what I've left of it with me and yep - tis the good stuff ;) Not that I don't trust the ammunition abroad, but would like to use what I'm used to for the competitions.

kildare.17hmr - off to Portishead for the 4 Nations. Been 5 yrs since I was shooting abroad. Looking forward to it now. :D

V Bull - that's a handy box there. How many rounds did that hold?

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

V Bull - that's a handy box there. How many rounds did that hold?

Gosh...It's been a while, I think about 300rds in each box and we still had to buy some Match Ammo to make up the balance because of the weight restrictions of 5Kg per person on the flights..

right that Peli that I got can hold 1500 rds, but ferry only lets you take 1000 pcs and they must be enclosed in manufacturers wrapping, so no loose 50pc boxes.

http://images.peliproducts.co.uk/3dcases/1200/1200.html (yup the orange one :rolleyes:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

right that Peli that I got can hold 1500 rds, but ferry only lets you take 1000 pcs and they must be enclosed in manufacturers wrapping, so no loose 50pc boxes.

http://images.peliproducts.co.uk/3dcases/1200/1200.html (yup the orange one :rolleyes:)

Very pretty LB:D does it not come in pink:p

nope - they said they sold YOU the last PINK one :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

nope - they said they sold YOU the last PINK one :P

huntingrifle.gif:P

Advertisement