Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Applying For Primary School Teaching Degree As A Mature Student

• 21-03-2012 9:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, sent away for the application form for this, received it today.
    There is enough in the pack to help me apply, but there are other questions I had that those who've studied/applied would be best placed to answer.

When I go for interview am I competing solely with other mature students or am I also in competition with those applying through the CAO?
    If I am only competing with other mature students, has there been high demand in recent years?
    How much should I expect to pay in fees? This was more difficult to find online than I expected.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer even part of a question.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Sorry, can only help with the demand question. There is a massive oversupply of primary teachers in Ireland at the moment.People are finding it hard even to get an odd day of subbing.New entrants to teaching are cut on top of the cuts the rest of us have had imposed.I don't want to sound grim, but I would read up a bit more before you decide to go for it. Lots of money in fees, no income as such etc.

All of that said, I love my job, no two days are the same and you can make a real difference to the life of a child.Have you done some observation in schools. Bhfuil Gaeilge mhaith agat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Sorry, can only help with the demand question. There is a massive oversupply of primary teachers in Ireland at the moment.People are finding it hard even to get an odd day of subbing.New entrants to teaching are cut on top of the cuts the rest of us have had imposed.I don't want to sound grim, but I would read up a bit more before you decide to go for it. Lots of money in fees, no income as such etc.

All of that said, I love my job, no two days are the same and you can make a real difference to the life of a child.Have you done some observation in schools. Bhfuil Gaeilge mhaith agat?
    By demand, I was moreso referring to for the college. You make a decent point about the difficulty in getting work, no doubt about it. My hope is (and I emphasise the word hope rather than expectation) that 4 years will have made things a little better.

I've been working full time upto now, so I haven't gotten the chance to spend time in schools. My Irish is strong, but I wouldn't say fluent either. I'll spend a good bit of time brushing it up in preparation.

Mostly I'm wondering how much competition I should expect for this interview. I went for the postgrad in the past, and the competition was ridiculous. I can't help but assume though that there are much less mature students wanting to do a 4 year degree though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Post-grad seems to be in big demand still alright.What college do you hope to go to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Post-grad seems to be in big demand still alright.What college do you hope to go to?
    Pats would be my preference.

Traditionally Mary I was said to be more difficult to get into than Pats, but perhaps that has changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 EricC

Hey, been following this thread, as I'm on the beginning of this road. Will be starting my TEG Irish course to get my required level of Irish in a couple of weeks.

Would love to hear how u got on, did u get the course.

Advertisement