Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters in Innovation in European Business (MBS IEB)

• 21-03-2012 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if anyone here is doing this masters and has any feedback on it? It looks like an amazing course and a great opportunity.

Also, when in ISC Paris Business School, do you get the opportunity to take French classes at all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Bleepit

Hi, i'm doing MBS IEB right now and loving it! I'm currently doing my work placement in VMware in Ballincollig so if you wanna meet up and chat about it, send me a PM.

In Paris you can definitely do French lessons, they send you a little questionnaire before you go over to assess your level. I've always wanted to learn French but tbh after a few weeks I dropped out of the classes and started practicing with people in cafes and bars - much more fun!

They also offered up language prep courses in UCC in the first semester from post-grad students with a degree in French. This was really helpful because they had done Eramus in France so they also gave us tips and an account of life in France as a foreign student.

It's a really exciting course, but a lot of work. If you put the effort in, you're really opening doors for yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Rahc

Thanks so much for your reply! I accepted my offer for a place on MBS IEB on Monday so I've just to get through my finals first!! Do most students do their placement back in Ireland or do some stay abroad?
    Also, how many students are doing the course with you this year? Sorry for all the questions, ive just been very excited since I heard I was offered a place :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Isn't this course being disbanded next year? I've seen an increase in the 'I can absolutely refute this rumour' emails from the course director which usually means that the rumour is true.

Sounds like a good masters though.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭JeremyH

Isn't this course being disbanded next year? I've seen an increase in the 'I can absolutely refute this rumour' emails from the course director which usually means that the rumour is true.

Sounds like a good masters though.

I work in BIS and I know for sure that the course is going ahead next year and that some offers have already been made to candidates. Numbers of applications are up, it is a successful and popular program and there is no reason to disband it.

As to the original question from the OP about the course... I don't teach on to the program but I did give some guest lectures to IEB and I was very impressed with the cohort of students on both years of the course so far - they were very bright, very engaging and were well up for discussion/debate.

The class size is ideal (~30). I usually teach to classes of 80 and 130 and it is more difficult to get groups of that size to engage. A few of the IEB students came to me for advice on project topics related to the content of my lectures and they were very clued in and really ambitious too.

It's a pretty cool setup for somebody interested in studying cutting edge business topics and spending time studying overseas. I wish there had been more options like this when I was looking at postgrad courses many moons ago!

Just so you don't think I'm stirring:

Sent on behalf of Professor Frederic Adam, Programme Director, MBS IEB

To all interested students:

A rumour seems to be going around UCC at present regarding the MBS IEB programme (http://bis.ucc.ie/Postgraduate_MBS_IEB.aspx), to the effect that it will be shortly discontinued. I can categorically assert that these rumours are totally without foundation: the MBS IEB is a great programme which has taken two years to put together and its future is in no doubt whatsoever. The MBS IEB is successful to UCC so the rationale for terminating it is non existent. Not only has the experience of students currently on the programme been excellent to date, but the interest of employers has been particularly sustained, despite the current uncertain times.

Anyone interested in the MBS IEB programme can contact me, at their convenience to organise a meeting sometime next week.

With all best wishes
    Frederic Adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭JeremyH

Just so you don't think I'm stirring:

Sent on behalf of Professor Frederic Adam, Programme Director, MBS IEB

To all interested students:

A rumour seems to be going around UCC at present regarding the MBS IEB programme (http://bis.ucc.ie/Postgraduate_MBS_IEB.aspx), to the effect that it will be shortly discontinued. I can categorically assert that these rumours are totally without foundation: the MBS IEB is a great programme which has taken two years to put together and its future is in no doubt whatsoever. The MBS IEB is successful to UCC so the rationale for terminating it is non existent. Not only has the experience of students currently on the programme been excellent to date, but the interest of employers has been particularly sustained, despite the current uncertain times.

Anyone interested in the MBS IEB programme can contact me fadam [at] afis [dot] ucc [dot] ie at their convenience to organise a meeting sometime next week.

With all best wishes
    Frederic Adam

I didn't think you were stirring and I knew Fred had sent this mail to the AllStudents list. A rumour got started somewhere and some students approached Fred to ask him if the course was going ahead so he felt that he should send that mail so as to ease people's concerns.

I think his email is quite clear and he says that he will meet with anyone who still has concerns. Fred is sound and he's very approachable.

I know we are living in a cynical age but sometimes people do tell the truth you know! Anyway, there would be no point in lying about it as we have a number of other postgrad course competing for the same students.

I hope that's clear. If people have further queries, I would definitely call Fred or arrange a face-to-face meeting.

@PhatPhiggins Would you mind editing your post to remove the link to Fred's email. We have a massive spam problem in UCC due to people harvesting email links from the web? Cheers.

JeremyH wrote: »
    I didn't think you were stirring and I knew Fred had sent this mail to the AllStudents list. A rumour got started somewhere and some students approached Fred to ask him if the course was going ahead so he felt that he should send that mail so as to ease people's concerns.

I think his email is quite clear and he says that he will meet with anyone who still has concerns. Fred is sound and he's very approachable.

I know we are living in a cynical age but sometimes people do tell the truth you know! Anyway, there would be no point in lying about it as we have a number of other postgrad course competing for the same students.

I hope that's clear. If people have further queries, I would definitely call Fred or arrange a face-to-face meeting.

@PhatPhiggins Would you mind editing your post to remove the link to Fred's email. We have a massive spam problem in UCC due to people harvesting email links from the web? Cheers.

No problem. Best of luck with the programme going forward, it certainly ticks all the right boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 198989

So is anyone joining this course next month? I am, very excited! :D

Advertisement