Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shortage of IT Professionals. Which Technologies?

Options
  • 21-03-2012 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

It's been reported over the past year or 2 that ireland has a massive shortage of IT professionals. As somebody who has worked in IT for the past 4-5 years, mainly writing winforms applications in c# and using sql backends with stored precedures etc but i'm wondering where these shortages are in the IT sector and what are the main technologies which will most important and required by employers going forward.

All thoughts appreciated
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

It's been reported over the past year or 2 that ireland has a massive shortage of IT professionals. As somebody who has worked in IT for the past 4-5 years, mainly writing winforms applications in c# and using sql backends with stored precedures etc but i'm wondering where these shortages are in the IT sector and what are the main technologies which will most important and required by employers going forward.

All thoughts appreciated

There seems to be quite a demand for java developers at the moment. Microsoft ran a career bootcamp recently where they were highlighting that there was at least 1000 vacancies in the IT sector and they were willing to offer advice to people on how best to position themselves for these jobs. Might be worth checking online to see if there are contacts within Microsoft you could talk to about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

funnily enough I would say C# is in demand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Do the jobs and contracts advertised not list all the skillsets needed? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I know my employer are looking for a large range of C# based skills from junior qa's to senior dev's - and there are not a huge amount of candidates out there at all.

I know of several big companies with huge lists of vacancies, looking for web skills, .net skills or db skills - and they just cant get anyone...

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭JSP

I know my employer are looking for a large range of C# based skills from junior qa's to senior dev's - and there are not a huge amount of candidates out there at all.

I know of several big companies with huge lists of vacancies, looking for web skills, .net skills or db skills - and they just cant get anyone...

what kind of experience in detail are they looking for?
    for example, program sql clients, do data sorting and reformatting etc
    and also some web programming with JavaScript, XML

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

Are they not listed on the job sites?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 boatsandhoes

Interesting to hear all your reply's. I know the jobs online outline what skills the person should have, i was more wondering going forward what will become the most important skills to have, ie. Which one's will be most valuable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

I'm actually a little worried - it seems like the United States has a very strong presence in the Tech/Financial sector in Ireland and I've been hearing about tax law changes that would likely cause the US offices to close or relocate outside of Ireland.

Is anyone else in the tech industry concerned about this?

I think we could go from a shortage to a surplus very quickly. The company I work for has opened/closed offices because of tax policies (in fact, that's how they came to Ireland in the first place)...

I hope I'm just paranoid.

tax law changes in ireland or america?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

i guess he means new american policies to try and bring US companies back home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I don't know really as there isn't enough investment coming from the US as they cannot afford to locate here or not as attractive investment for them with the recession here and in the US, they haven't enough money to finance it so look else where for cheaper labour. While at the moment the investment from China for Ireland may be on the bright-side for the future. Its possibly the only place we might get a reasonable amount of investment from. Can't see the US investing in Ireland for a while yet as Ireland is still expensive for the US.

google, facebook, paypal etc all expanding in Ireland so it seems pretty safe for the foreseeable future...i think!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭shakedown

Plenty of jobs in data integration/business intelligence. C# skills would give you a leg up in SSIS (MS Integration Services) scripting, and general programming skills are always a plus when it comes to DB development.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Rossin wrote: »
    google, facebook, paypal etc all expanding in Ireland so it seems pretty safe for the foreseeable future...i think!

Ya that's grand but seriously though not everyone can get a job with them. They are difficult enough to get an interview with unless you have talent.

Business Analysis, Social online media and Financial Engineering seem to be big areas at the moment as well as what shakedown has mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I know this thread is half Zombie at this stage but my two cents.

At the moment there seems to be a massive shortage of people with experience in c#,c++ and Java.

There are a lot of jobs out there but most are looking for people with experience and a lot looking for people with project Management skills as well.

There also seems to be a lot of jobs in application support and technical support & sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Rossin wrote: »

Very little of the Irish jobs with these companies are in IT. They're mostly support and clerical work from what I can see.

Advertisement