Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cost to rebuild ford 7610 engine

• 21-03-2012 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

I have a 1987 ford 7610 i was speading slurry yesterday when a sound came in the engine i stopped it when i tryed to start it later all that happened was it only half turned and it sounded like it was hitting something does anybody know what it might be and if i need to rebuild it roughly how much it might cost i would really appricate any help

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Not 100% sure what the problem is, but could be a dropped valve, cost anywhere from 1000-1500e but depends how far you go.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭pmct

Thanks for the reply is that parts or is labour included

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭joto

I'd suggest draining the oil into a clean drum first, see what comes out.
    Try turning the engine by hand/wrench and see if it's catching.
    That won't cost anything and could tell a lot.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I can't really say, you won't know how much needs to be done until the head comes off. Depending on the damage you have options which may or not need to be done,
    • Crankshaft, re grind or replace?
    • Pistons-just set of rings or replace?
    • Head, set of valves? plane it?
    • Injector pump, re-condition or leave it alone?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Thanks again for the replys my father-in-law is a tractor machinic so he will be doing the work just wondering roughly how much it might cost

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

on a 87 ford i wouldn't be surprised if you needed a new block , hopefully not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

what was the engine like before? was it blowing much smoke. engines dont just blow unless there is a big problem like sudden loss of cooling or piston/valve drop.

best thing to do is drain the sump and see if there is any metal in it also check the colour of the oil. if there is water in the oil then the block has cracked if its in the cylinder then it can be repaired easy enough but will need stripping. it could also be a bearing going if thats the case it might be ok if it hasnt damaged the engine, crank or pistons. it can get pricey quickly if they are scrapped. they are easy engines to strip once out and easy enough to put back together just take time and patience.

if you have metal in the oil, drop the sump and have a good check on the crank shaft and oil pump (dont get the caps of the pistons and crank holders mixed up very important). if that is ok then take off the head and check the surface and valves, and check the cylinders it might just be a droped ring if the bore is badly scored then you'll have to strip it and get it rebored. and if you go that far replace the bearings and piston rings hopefully if it hasnt overheated you wont need to get it and the head skimmed.

We stripped down the engine today and it has dropped a piston luckly there doesn't seem to have done too much damage but I will have to do the head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

How do you mean, it dropped a piston?
    Did it come off the con rod?

Advertisement