Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC Installation charge for multi-room

• 21-03-2012 10:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

Hi Jason,

My parents have Sky and want to move to the UPC €66 bundle for tv, phone and broadband. They also want an extra point at €5 per month.

They have a NTL box in their main room but not in the room they want the extra point. I've installed UPC myself in my own apartment in Jan 2011 and I remember there being minimal installation charges (I think it could have even been free?!) as the hardware came in the post and I did all the manual work.

Can you just confirm what the charge would be to fit another white box in their kitchen? Don't need a full install as I can do that for them. They've gotten conflicting prices from Currys in store and UPC over the phone. They want to go through Currys to get the €250 voucher also.

Thanks in advance for your reply,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

it's €50.81 to get the white box in the wall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Installer stuck two extra points in my place for €5 each I think was all he charged me last year. Dont know if thats the official charge; I asked him to do it when he was here rather than arranging it over the phone first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

callaway92 wrote: »
    it's €50.81 to get the white box in the wall

Thanks, was this the only charge? Or was this on the back of a €60 call out charge etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Virgin Media: Jason

Hi stuartmchugh

Sorry for the conflicting advice, but based on your post, I am confused also, You say they have Sky, then you say they already have a NTL box.

Are they also a current UPC TV customer also? If so then they will not qualify for the €250 voucher in Currys. They would however get a €125 voucher there for adding a Broadband and phone bundle to their TV, and we will allow them sign up to the €66 Fibre Essential bundle you referred to.

We charge €5 per month per additional box.

If you order via boards you will have your activation charges waived www.upc.ie/boardsoffer
    - if not you will be charged €30 for each box if you install it yourself, or €45 if you require a UPC engineer to install it. Those prices assume you already have a cable point in the other room. If you do not and require us to cable it, there is an additional charge of €50.

I hope that clears it up for you.

Regards

Jason
    Hi Jason,

My parents have Sky and want to move to the UPC €66 bundle for tv, phone and broadband. They also want an extra point at €5 per month.

They have a NTL box in their main room but not in the room they want the extra point. I've installed UPC myself in my own apartment in Jan 2011 and I remember there being minimal installation charges (I think it could have even been free?!) as the hardware came in the post and I did all the manual work.

Can you just confirm what the charge would be to fit another white box in their kitchen? Don't need a full install as I can do that for them. They've gotten conflicting prices from Currys in store and UPC over the phone. They want to go through Currys to get the €250 voucher also.

Thanks in advance for your reply,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I got an extra connection in the bed room put in for free last September. I live in a duplex apartment so there were ladders and big drills involved but I wasn't charged.

I decided to get the extra point at the same time I threatened to leave and go to Sky if they didn't give me a reduction in price (I have broadband, telly, sports package) so that might be why I got it installed for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

Hi Jason,

Sorry for the confusion. My parents now have Sky, but have an old NTL box in their main Tv room from 5-6 years ago. The box in the kitchen was removed during building work.

I don't need any of the digiboxes installed, I just need a white UPC box installed in their kitchen for use as the second point. I can do the rest, does that mean they would only be liable to the €50 wiring charge for the extra point, plus €60 for the 2 boxes.

Are there any vouchers/incentives available to them if they just sign up for broadband and telephone as a new customer i.e the €125 voucher you mentioned? They want UPC TV but if the installation hassle and cost is too much they'll stay with Sky I think.

Thanks,

stuartmchugh

Best advice is for them to sign up to a new Broadband/phone bundle via boards www.upc.ie/boardsoffer - then their activation charges will be waived in full, and they will get their bundle 1/2 price for 2 months and a €50 voucher too. You can ask my team to load that order as a self installation version. (They will have to pay €50 for a new point to be connected, my team can load that seperately)

Hope that helps

Regards

Jason
    Hi Jason,

Sorry for the confusion. My parents now have Sky, but have an old NTL box in their main Tv room from 5-6 years ago. The box in the kitchen was removed during building work.

I don't need any of the digiboxes installed, I just need a white UPC box installed in their kitchen for use as the second point. I can do the rest, does that mean they would only be liable to the €50 wiring charge for the extra point, plus €60 for the 2 boxes.

Are there any vouchers/incentives available to them if they just sign up for broadband and telephone as a new customer i.e the €125 voucher you mentioned? They want UPC TV but if the installation hassle and cost is too much they'll stay with Sky I think.

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭berrycherry

Hi Jason, i signed up to upc and had the equipment delivered to self install. Problem is when it arrived and we set it up to the point on the wall we had no signal. My partner got up into the attic and found that the wires were going up there but had been cut. Boy advice on what we can do? We have someone coming out cut not for a few days. We would like to try something ourselves.... thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If the wires are cut then the only thing you can do is replace/repair them.

Hi there

To ensure a perfect connection, best leave the connection to the UPC technician. They will replace the cable to the main tv point if necessary

Regards

Jason
    Hi Jason, i signed up to upc and had the equipment delivered to self install. Problem is when it arrived and we set it up to the point on the wall we had no signal. My partner got up into the attic and found that the wires were going up there but had been cut. Boy advice on what we can do? We have someone coming out cut not for a few days. We would like to try something ourselves.... thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Hi Jason,

Jumping in on this thread as I have a similar query.

Moving in to a new apt. on Monday which was a new build last year and has UPC points installed in the living room for TV and BB which were not used by previous tenant.

Firstly we were not aware of the UPC offer through boards and signed up for BB & Phone last night, is there anyway to avail of the boards offer? Would we need to cancel the current order and re-order through boards?

Also, we would like to get TV/BB sockets in each of the rooms, the management company has said they will cover the installation charge. However when my flatmate asked the UPC agent on the phone about this they said it was not possible, can you clarify the situation please?

Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dee79

Hi Jason,

I currently have a bundle of tv, internet and phone with UPC and am interested in getting the same package that I have in my living room into another room. Is there any way to avoid the box/connection charge through boards?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭berrycherry

Dee79 wrote: »
    Hi Jason,

I currently have a bundle of tv, internet and phone with UPC and am interested in getting the same package that I have in my living room into another room. Is there any way to avoid the box/connection charge through boards?

Thanks in advance.

Hi i have the same package and its only 5e to add another room... give them a ring and check it out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

i spent over 30 mins today tryin to chat to upc about their service..they are atrocious!! i have been with upc for a year or so now and want to get tv in a few rooms and am bein told i have to pay €60 connection fee per room then €45 per room then €5 each a month...i think thats an unbelievable amount of money to be chargin someone so that they can get business and alot of money per month from me...i just cant afford that sort of set up charge...its a friggin recession but someone forgot to tell upc!!

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Mellio

LillySV wrote: »
    i spent over 30 mins today tryin to chat to upc about their service..they are atrocious!! i have been with upc for a year or so now and want to get tv in a few rooms and am bein told i have to pay €60 connection fee per room then €45 per room then €5 each a month...i think thats an unbelievable amount of money to be chargin someone so that they can get business and alot of money per month from me...i just cant afford that sort of set up charge...its a friggin recession but someone forgot to tell upc!!

Have to agree it was only €50 last year now it is €60, disgrace for a bit of cable and box to supply the service your going to pay for.

On top of that I see we have all had this on demand service now for a while, brilliant I say more options then there is a message on there website saying that the price of tv and phone services and admin fees are going up from 1 August 2012.

So they slyly provide us with additional services then they put up prices a month or so later to cover the cost, rather they didint do it in the first place and keep prices down, we dont need more costs right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Theres always Saorview and Freesat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

LillySV wrote: »
    Just threaten to cancel your contract and leave if they dont install for free, thats what I did! Got free HD and Multiroom too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 corkmommy

just wondering if i were to switch from sky to UPC is there any where toget a coupon of something to avoid paying the Activation fee??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

corkmommy wrote: »
    just wondering if i were to switch from sky to UPC is there any where toget a coupon of something to avoid paying the Activation fee??
    ***Special offer LAST DAY*** Extra Benefit of Free Installation of new bundles until the end of April**** Plus 6 Months reduced price bundle***Plus a €50 voucher as a boards bargain alert user****

You can order today via boards on www.upc.ie/boardsoffer or by calling 1890940635.

Thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055831222&page=128

Advertisement