Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

changes to terraced house

Options
  • 21-03-2012 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭

hi,

i own a detached house, which is in a terrace. About 15 house all the same. only, mine is out on its own - in a seperate corner of the estate. my query is, can i change it to whatever i want it to look like? - and do whatever i want with the boundary walls? or is there a set way i need to keep it looking?

if you pm me, ill sned you a pic of it, and how its situated - if you know what your talking about and can help.

thanks,
    Jo
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Short answer is no, you cant "change it to whatever i want it to look like" without planning permission - I assume you're talking about the external appearance of the house.

And no again in relation to the boundary walls.

Bottom line is that you will need to check planning conditions, planning exemptions etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭jocotty

muffler wrote: »
    Short answer is no, you cant "change it to whatever i want it to look like" without planning permission - I assume you're talking about the external appearance of the house.

And no again in relation to the boundary walls.

Bottom line is that you will need to check planning conditions, planning exemptions etc.

thanks.
    yes i realize i will need to apply for planing permission, but do you think it would be possible to get planning to completely change the external appearance of the house in an estate, or will it be a complete no-go for planning?

jo

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

jocotty wrote: »
    thanks.
    yes i realize i will need to apply for planing permission, but do you think it would be possible to get planning to completely change the external appearance of the house in an estate, or will it be a complete no-go for planning?

jo
    Good design does not necessarily mean that each house has to be identical in appearance. In fact it would be bland so if your proposals are sympathetic towards the adjacent developments then there is a chance and a good chance that you would get permission.

Get a local arch/technician to prepare a couple of sketches and look for a pre-planning meeting then with the local planner to discuss your proposal before making a formal application.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

jocotty wrote: »
    hi,

i own a detached house, which is in a terrace. About 15 house all the same. only, mine is out on its own - in a seperate corner of the estate. my query is, can i change it to whatever i want it to look like? - and do whatever i want with the boundary walls? or is there a set way i need to keep it looking?

if you pm me, ill sned you a pic of it, and how its situated - if you know what your talking about and can help.

thanks,
    Jo

a tasteful design to bookend the terrace would be applicable, and the fact that your dwelling is already aesthetically and physically separated from the terrace is a plus.

as muffler says, it will cost you very little to get some design sketches drawn up .... then go organise a pre planning meeting and have an informal chat to the planners as to determine what their views would be.

Advertisement