Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driftwood

Options
  • 21-03-2012 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

I bought a large piece of driftwood in seahorse the other day.
    I am changing the tank this weekend and have moved the fish into a cycled tank..
    Have the water nearly out (stored in drums) and changing the substrate from gravel to sand and using the driftwood as centre piece etc

But does this need to be left soaking for a while before putting in the tank?

Can I pop it into my own cycled water or will it need to be scrubbed down?
    As said, I bought it in a fish store rather than the garden so I presume it was already treated?

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

If you can, depending on size, boil the wood to kill off any nasties that might be lurking in the wood. This will also draw out a lot of the woods tannins which will make your tank water go brown. Some people like that look especially if they have a swamp effect in the tank. I like it myself and it's harmless to the fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭buzz

If you can, depending on size, boil the wood to kill off any nasties that might be lurking in the wood. This will also draw out a lot of the woods tannins which will make your tank water go brown. Some people like that look especially if they have a swamp effect in the tank. I like it myself and it's harmless to the fish.

Thanks Fred, the wood is quite large and way too big for a pot on the cooker:o

But yeah its a dark look im going for.. Pleco heaven :P

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

wash it in the bath with hot water and a little bleach, should kill the nasties too.
    make sure you run a lot of clean water over it to remove any trance of bleach.

Check whether it sinks before putting all the san in the tank to. You may need weights to hold it down, much easier to put these under the substrate...

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭buzz

Ok did all of above and all happy days.

Put 2 pieces in, one I bought in Seahorse and that is fine.

But another small piece I bought in a random petshop I have just noticed a fur like substance growing on it!! Looks like a fungus:o

Also the nitrate and nitrite levels are through the roof:eek:

Did a 20L water change yesterday and today and it has dropped but only a small bit,

HELP!!

Advertisement