Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

handed in for distruction...

Options
  • 21-03-2012 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭

hi guys,

I heard there were several hundred guns sent for distruction by gardai and RFD's last year.

I was talking to a dealer who also said that he was overrun with guys requesting/leaving their guns in for sale, one guy alone in the east wanted to leave in 8 or 10 this year due to finiancial circumstances, licence renewals ect, this leaves the dealer a more difficult job to sell/push his own his own stock, he's hardly going to be showcasing handed in stock I suppose. i,d say there could be a price drop in second hand firearms coming down the line.....

I'D hate to think of perfectly good rifles being sent for distruction? does this happen or are they usually clapped out broken stock items? i wouldn't mind having my pick before they hit the furnace.........

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

A lot of what is destroyed is absolute old rubbish , single barrels, knackered .22 rifles, other worthless junk. I know a lot of handed in pistols went to the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

There has been a significant price drop in second hand firearms in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

Very true, but you still have to love the eternal optimist. My local rfd was handed a forty year old single barrel covered in rust and at least three or four holes in the action! He asked him to see if he could get €300 for it! :D I was there at the time and had to walk out as I nearly had to be resuscitated from laughing!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

Majority of firearms up for destruction will probly be old .22's and shotguns not being used ne more,

Although twud be nice to pick up a battered old remington or similar for pittance as a base for a custom rifle :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

patsat wrote: »
    Majority of firearms up for destruction will probly be old .22's and shotguns not being used ne more,

Although twud be nice to pick up a battered old remington or similar for pittance as a base for a custom rifle :cool:

I just inherited an old Model 34 on account of exactly that premise - was going for distruction otherwise.

Gonna be bringing it down to Fergal as soon as I get a chance to have it looked over and a few wee bits priced for fixing up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

extremetaz wrote: »
    I just inherited an old Model 34 on account of exactly that premise - was going for distruction otherwise.

Gonna be bringing it down to Fergal as soon as I get a chance to have it looked over and a few wee bits priced for fixing up.

Throw up a picture of it.

rowa wrote: »
    Throw up a picture of it.

Will take a few this evening and throw them up tomorrow so. ;)

*edit: Got out and managed to get a few shots earlier this eve. I've uploaded them to Flickr and added descriptions for those interested.

CLICKY

The highlights:
    Remington Model 34
    Manufactured from 1932-1934, suspect late '32 from the serial number.
    170,000~odd made.
    Reputed for accuracy and simplicity. (Can't vouch for the former yet, but the latter is definitely true)

This one has has 6 taps butchered into the action in order to accomodate a sidemount for a scope (on it when I got it) and what I can only assume must have been a peep sight at some point previous. These require filling and masking IMO

There is a large split in the left front side of the stock - will require glueing.
    The stock looks gorgeous other than that. It's aged beautifully and I've no intention of make any efforts to refresh or repair it beyond the aformentioned split.

The same goes for the blueing - it's held reasonably well and I love the look it has now. Won't be changing that either.

The chambering action has a lump of a washing machine in it (I kid you not) which has been doing the job of the original loading arm for about 17 years now. I'm at odds as to whether or not I'll seek a replacement for that as it's quite a nice quirk and performs perfectly.

There's a chip gone out of the seat for the sear pin (if there's a proper word for that please feel free to inform me of it :o ) which also has no apparent affect on the performance. The trigger is quite heavy but it has a short first stage and breaks like glass after that. Simplest trigger on earth as well. Three parts total! The trigger blade, the arm accomodating the sear pin, and the trigger blade return spring - and that's it, I **** you not.

The scope that was on it hasn't aged nearly as well as the rifle and was fogged to hell, so it's destined for the bin, and the mount which held it was butchered into place so I doubt it was ever particularly consistant in any case. I've aquired a new scope suitable for the job but the taps for the mount need serious attention and I'll need shims for the mount to accomodate the new scope as well (previous scope was built up with insulating tape).

Think that's about the lot of it... it's a tube mag, blocked to ten rounds down from it's original 16... and I'm really looking forward to shooting it once I can get something resembling a sight onto it.

Enjoy the pics. ;)

..oh - and she tips the scales at 2.45kg as you see her in the pics (unloaded & no scope).

This is the biggest problem with it:

7007082469_1bf01b0d74_b.jpg

Followed by this:

7007081667_9bdff99fd6_b.jpg

This is of moderate concern:

6860966236_ed6aa8a6bb_b.jpg

and this I actually kinda like: :rolleyes::o

6860966396_f225687235_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Tawny Owl

Great Photos and if that Gun could talk wouldn't it have a few storys to tell serious crack there but a great old Gun to have the best of luck and fair play in keeping it as is well done.

Tawny Owl.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

TBH the side mount is kind of cool.It looks like it was original??
    But the holes do look like a problem.Sooo depending on what you want to do or not with the sights.
    For filling the excess holes I'd suggest getting them rethreaded and then getting them plugged by screwing in a small bolt or grub screw,with a flat face to the point where it is flush with the internal of the reciver and then cutting it off flush with the external of the reciver.Making sure that none of them affect the working of the action of course..;) A dab of Loctite Green,and they wont ever shake loose again..Ever!
    A dab of blue consistently on those shiney bits will soon melge into the original.
    You could be even cheaper:eek: and just get some so called"chemical metal" appx 8 euros a roll in any auto parts shop.It's a binary paste that you rub together with your fingers and plug the holes with it.It is black in colour as well so it hides well.
    Have used that on a annoying little screw that kept working loose on a Browning Auto 5 and was too much of a PITA to rethread as it was soo small.Holding up well on the Brownings recoil after five years.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

It's an add on and although designed specifically for the Model 34, Remington themselves didn't make them.

The rifle came in three versions non of which provided the option for a scope.
    I reckon this one is the 34A, which was the standard version and simply sported open sights. The other two were the N.R.A. Junior target model, and the 34P - both of these came with peep sights although I'm unsure of the differences between them beyond that. Neither of them though, had accomodation for open sights.

There were two means by which you could add a scope to the rifle - the sidemount, or rings. Both required the receiver to be tapped, the former on the side, the latter on the top. The sidemount was the preferred method as there was none of the alignment concerns which come with the rings - although it would appear that at various times during the last 80 years, this one has had both.

I agree, the sidemount with the narrow scope does look the part alright, but I reckon I'm gonna have to pass the rifle on to Fergal to install the sidemount properly because, as you mentioned, the front taps are miles off the mark and I reckon fixing that is a wee bit beyond the level of my skills. I reckon I'd be up to the task of simply rethreading and plugging alright, and I'd happily take on the top three no bother - but the ones in the side are likely gonna have to be sealed and retapped in a usable fashion - and that I ain't touchin'.

As for blueing the plugs - I had wondered how I was going to manage that, I take it the 'blue' you're referring to is a compound I can buy and just paint onto the shiney bits?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

extremetaz wrote: »

I agree, the sidemount with the narrow scope does look the part alright, but I reckon I'm gonna have to pass the rifle on to Fergal to install the sidemount properly because, as you mentioned, the front taps are miles off the mark and I reckon fixing that is a wee bit beyond the level of my skills. I reckon I'd be up to the task of simply rethreading and plugging alright, and I'd happily take on the top three no bother - but the ones in the side are likely gonna have to be sealed and retapped in a usable fashion - and that I ain't touchin'.

Like anything in life.A mans gotta know his limitations!!;).If you feel up to it go ahead and do the upper holes.Even if you have an epic failure on one,you will be smarter the next time.But most definately I'd concur if you think the side screws are too bodged up,definately leave it to a pro.
    As for blueing the plugs - I had wondered how I was going to manage that, I take it the 'blue' you're referring to is a compound I can buy and just paint onto the shiney bits?

Indeed.The off the shelf bluing is ideal for this kind of work.Screw heads etc.NOT for rebluing a barrel.Just keep repeating the process until you get the screw head to a close enough match of the surrounding blue.
    Trick is though,you have to have the metal prepared to spotlessness.Can be a job with the screw slot.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement