Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are Kenny Dalglish and Liverpool Done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Sweet suffering jesus.

So you are saying that one of the best managers in the English game would not have had a hope in hell if he was given a few more months and access to more funds?

A manager who took Fulham from the brink of last day relegation to a European final in the space of 2 odd years? Despite not even being given a huge amount of cash to splash?

Sweet suffering jesus indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

So much for loyalty of Liverpool fans to Dalglish.

Yes he made a few questionable signings. But where is the balance here?

Last season he took over a team that was in the bottom half of the table and with very low morale.

This season, the club is comfortably in the top half, one cup in the bag, Man Utd knocked out of the FA Cup and possibility of another cup.

The likes of Arsenal, Spurs, Everton, and other decent clubs would be delighted with such a season.

Liverpool's league form hasn't been great, but Dalglish was brought in to get some silverware and he did that in his first full season. Meanwhile, Arsenal, Everton, etc, the search for silverware goes on.

Credit where credit is due imo.

Realistically Liverpool were not going to get a top 4 finish this year. Suarez is an outstanding striker for Uruguay, top scorer in copa america, and was also in Holland.

I don't think he is a bad signing, just needs more time.

As for Carol, the idea of a big strong target man who can hold the ball up and bring others into the game or else win headers, will never go out of fashion in English football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

So you are saying that one of the best managers in the English game would not have had a hope in hell if he was given a few more months and access to more funds?

A manager who took Fulham from the brink of last day relegation to a European final in the space of 2 odd years? Despite not even being given a huge amount of cash to splash?

One of the best managers in the English game? Really? What has he achieved in his oh so 'illustrious' career bar a title or two in a Scandinavian division?

You also stated previously that he would have led Liverpool on a title challenge? You're clearly living up to your username as you have sweet fcuk all idea of what rubbish you're typing.

Let me just state that I didn't want him in the first place, why? Because he wasn't good enough. He couldn't win an away game in almost a season and that was deemed good enough to get the Liverpool managers job? Well fcuk me, we could've gotten Mick McCarthy for the job, he'd have a better record as manager. He'd still not be good enough now would he? Even though I didn't want him in, I gave him a chance. Even after losing to Northampton and pretty much laying the blame at the feet of the youngsters, I gave him a chance... even with him having that goofy smile after losing one of the biggest games of the season to our closest and bitterest of rivals, I gave him a chance... but the type football I was watching was dire to say the least. And I wasn't the only one with that opinion. Daniel Agger, starting CB for Liverpool and our best central defender didn't like it either. Saying how he was encouraged to hit it long instead of passing the ball out of defence. Several thousand fans didn't like what they saw either, deciding that one day, enough was enough and stayed at home instead of going to watch that shyte on display at Anfield.

And giving Roy funds for the purchase of players? No thanks. Konchesky, Poulson and the other dross he signed were quickly shipped out. Why? Because they, like the man that signed them, were not good enough for Liverpool.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

plasmaguy wrote: »

Last season he took over a team that was in the bottom half of the table and with very low morale.

This season, the club is comfortably in the top half, one cup in the bag, Man Utd knocked out of the FA Cup and possibility of another cup.

The likes of Arsenal, Spurs, Everton, and other decent clubs would be delighted with such a season.

Liverpool's league form hasn't been great, but Dalglish was brought in to get some silverware and he did that in his first full season. Meanwhile, Arsenal, Everton, etc, the search for silverware goes on.

Realistically Liverpool were not going to get a top 4 finish this year. Suarez is an outstanding striker for Uruguay, top scorer in copa america, and was also in Holland.

As for Carol, the idea of a big strong target man who can hold the ball up and bring others into the game or else win headers, will never go out of fashion in English football.
    A few fans on an irish website doesnt equal loyalty of entire Liverpool fans. Most will stick by him but questions have to be asked when you arent getting results and players not putting in the shift or looking disinterested. Especially new signings that he has brought in. Theirs still big holes in the team, hes replaced squad players with more mediocre squad players but with a few quality signings we could have a strong team and next season going for fourth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

monkey9 wrote: »
    Kenny Dalglish and Liverpool will never be done!!

Liverpool fans should be hoping that their owners don't think the same way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Brushing over that a bit, aren't you? It's abysmal. Seriously, at this stage of the season, did any Liverpool fan really think they would clinging to Newcastle's coat-tails for 6th place and looking over their shoulder at Swansea in 8th place? Because that's the reality.

He won the Carling Cup, fair enough, credit where it is due and Liverpool have a very good chance of reaching the FA Cup final and a good chance of winning it but the league campaign has been an absolute disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Warper wrote: »
    Jamie Redknapp is a top top pundit. He's literally on fire.

He is a lot better than say Hernandez of Utd who cant even make himself a first-teamer and thats a fact.
    That's probably because English isn't his native Tongue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Similar to the Suarez situation, I think non Liverpool fans just dont get it. When things go bad you stick together even more. Of course the league form has been dissapointing but you dont sack your manager after such a short time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

No!!!
    I will not!!
    Sh!t. :(

Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Roy Hodgson is a journeyman manager who has had little or no experience of managing a club with Liverpool type expectations during a lengthy career. For a man in the game for as long as he has been, if he was as good as the English media would like you to believe (you have drank all the kool aid anyway) he would have won and achieved an awful lot more, and would have been entrusted with more Liverpool type gigs.

He was completely out of his depth at Anfield and it showed in every way, shape and form. The football was awful. We were outplayed time and time again. His signings were disastrous (Meireles excepted). But most importantly, during a 35 year managerial career that has seen him have more than 20 posts, he only stayed in three posts for three years or more - the longest being Malmo for five seasons. The idea that he would be a man to rebuild Liverpool to greatness is simply unfounded if you examine his career in any detail.

For sure, it was a terrible time to be a Liverpool manager given all that was happening behind the scenes. But Hodgson had demonstrated nothing to justify sticking with him in the long term.

Your posts in this thread are cringe worthy if I'm being perfectly honest.

• Advertisement

Hopefully scores stay the way they are :pac:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

So go start a 'Are Roberto Martinez and Wigan done?' thread so! Go for it. The floor is yours!!
    Xavi6 wrote: »

Indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Wankerdom on boards in a thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

mike65 wrote: »
    Wankerdom on boards in a thread.
    Not really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Xavi6 wrote: »

Hopefully, I'm getting very excited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

Hard to believe they threw away a two goal lead against mighty QPR but this wigan display is terrible.

Its with a heavy heart I say, its time to sack Dalglish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yes really. Still I suppose it serves a purpose in the way a cow pat does.

mike65 wrote: »
    Yes really. Still I suppose it serves a purpose in the way a cow pat does.
    Please explain.

The worst Liverpool performance in a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

MrMatisse wrote: »
    Hard to believe they threw away a two goal lead against mighty QPR but this wigan display is terrible.

Its with a heavy heart I say, its time to sack Dalglish.
    Atleast let him finish the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Soups123 wrote: »
    Atleast let him finish the game

No, sack him now i say. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

he should never have gotten the job in the first place in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Left the pub at half time they were absolutely chronic.
    I would not sack him though. still fancy us for the cup.
    he should move upstairs then in some sort of role

Imagine what benitez would have done with 100 Million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I hope to **** he stays.

• Advertisement

This is a more focused thread not general chit chat.

Is kenny in or out....

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Left the pub at half time they were absolutely chronic.
    I would not sack him though. still fancy us for the cup.
    he should move upstairs then in some sort of role

Imagine what benitez would have done with 100 Million

Great Post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Leave him where he is - he's doing a smashing job....

The other thread sat on the fence a little by posing a question in its title but this is straight to the point, should be fun.

Hes just off the pace. Move him upstairs as another poster said.

• Advertisement

A massive mistake letting Roy go - Imagine what Hodgson would have done with 100 million.

In fairness Benny Hill would have done more with 100m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Short answer > yes.
    Long answer > definately.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

God no! Liverpool are hilarious to watch at the moment!
    I want a 2nd series!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Getting very touchy Mike!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

- |P|W|D|L|F|A|GD|Pts|Win%|PPG
    Hodgson's last 20 league matches |20|7|4|9|24|27|-3|25|35|1.25
    Kenny's last 20 league matches |20|6|6|8|22|21|+1|24|30|1.20

Not bloody likely

After that Kenny doesnt deserve to wear the Liverpool crest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

In fairness, that Liverpool team are not even close to being a top 5 team, no matter who is in charge, so really you're looking at sacking him for finishing 7th rather than 6th.

And I'm sure the Newcastle fans will make the point yere squad isn't even as good as theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

To be fair to Dalglish...

Newish manager, a lot of newish players, so that equals transitional season in the league to be honest, with a couple of good cup runs to tide them over.

Have to give a manager time to show whether they are up to it or not.

Look at the example of Wolves. They have a couple of bad games, the chairman panics and sacks McCarthy.

Now they look definites for the drop, whereas McCarthy in my view would have kept them up.

Like I said, transitional season for Liverpool, and there is no evidence any other manager would do any better with them, and when people mention Benitez might, almost have to laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Redundant thread is redundant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Newish manager, a lot of newish players, so that equals transitional season in the league to be honest, with a couple of good cup runs to tide them over.

Look at the example of Wolves. They have a couple of bad games, the chairman panics and sacks McCarthy.

Now they look definites for the drop, whereas McCarthy in my view would have kept them up.

Like I said, transitional season for Liverpool, and there is no evidence any other manager would do any better with them, and when people mention Benitez might, almost have to laugh.
    Roy Hodgson didn't get this sentiment. Having spent nowhere near as much.

danlen wrote: »
    In fairness, that Liverpool team are not even close to being a top 5 team, no matter who is in charge, so really you're looking at sacking him for finishing 7th rather than 6th.

And I'm sure the Newcastle fans will make the point yere squad isn't even as good as theirs.

If they converted more chances they would be though,

Poor tactics, poor signings

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭peterswellman

Even Fergie Time couldn't save that muck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Liverpool have just found their level is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

jank wrote: »
    God no! Liverpool are hilarious to watch at the moment!
    I want a 2nd series!

As long as Kenny is there winning cups, it does mean Arsenal will ever win **** all though.

By your logic Hodgson shouldn't have been sacked, needed more time...

Liverpool have just found their level is all.

Theres no need to wind people up. Dalglish in or out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Shocking week for Liverpool FC.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement