Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are Kenny Dalglish and Liverpool Done?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

MrMatisse wrote: »
    Theres no need to wind people up. Dalglish in or out?

You start a thread like this and complain when the WUM's have input?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

OP if you are a Liverpool fan you should hang your head in shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Must be tough on you Pool fans, but would you sack him now with an FA cup semi final to come?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

Joe10000 wrote: »

The man is off the pace. You cant just leave him there until the club is relegated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Must be tough on you Pool fans, but would you sack him now with an FA cup semi final to come?

Of course not. /thread

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

niallo27 wrote: »
    As long as Kenny is there winning cups, it does mean Arsenal will ever win **** all though.

I suppose beating championship sides on penalties is Liverpool's level alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Joe10000 wrote: »

If I was a Liverpool fan, I'd be asking some serious bloody questions too, in all fairness to the OP.

Liverpool could realistically finish anywhere from 7th to 10th this season, and all the talk of winning the Carling Cup, or whatever happens in the FA Cup does not mask the fact that neither the managers or the vast majority of the players are up to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

The worrying thing from a pool point of view today is that Wigan thoroughly deserved their win.

looking forward to post match interview from 'the king', should be in for some quality viewing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

jank wrote: »

Good man. We did happen to beat the league leaders who knocked ye out. Along with wins away at Stoke and Chelsea. It was a really sweet day too. I can confirm that stuff is really enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

J. Marston wrote: »
    Brushing over that a bit, aren't you? It's abysmal. Seriously, at this stage of the season, did any Liverpool fan really think they would clinging to Newcastle's coat-tails for 6th place and looking over their shoulder at Swansea in 8th place? Because that's the reality.

He won the Carling Cup, fair enough, credit where it is due and Liverpool have a very good chance of reaching the FA Cup final and a good chance of winning it but the league campaign has been an absolute disaster.

Ferguson was pretty average in the league for his first few seasons.

The only thing that saved him was the FA Cup win in 1990, and from there, the team really took off. Talented youngsters like Lee Sharpe and Ryan Giggs coming through also helped.

It takes time to lay foundations, and Dalglish knows the formula for Liverpool success going back to Paisley's time. I could be wrong, but the talented young Liverpool players of the 1990's came through the youth ranks while Dalglish was senior manager, or he probably put in place structures that helped. Benitez on the other hand had an appalling record of youth development.

Bringing in a mercenary manager like Chelsea do every year, with no allegiance to the club is not the solution imo, and would be extremely costly if it didn't work out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Some of the older Liverpool fans would never call for his head but I think it's obvious from the booing at the final whistle today that some of the younger supporters don't care as much about his past contributions.

For me, I think today was the final straw. Time to change it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

You do realize you have to play a few games before that to get there you do, weren't you the fella who wanted wenger out and abused the **** out of him and now you love him again.

Ardent wrote: »
    Some of the older Liverpool fans would never call for his head but I think it's obvious from the booing at the final whistle today that some of the younger supporters don't care as much about his past contributions.

For me, I think today was the final straw. Time to change it up.

The older generation will find it hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭doc_17

Don't think this thread will go anywhere......same as the other one.

waste of time. And if the OP is a liverpool fan then he really should hang his head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

I'll be very happy to see this end in a mess and I'm sure a lot of other people will be too
    royhodgson595.jpg

doc_17 wrote: »
    Don't think this thread will go anywhere......same as the other one.

waste of time. And if the OP is a liverpool fan then he really should hang his head.

Dont see why.

DeValera wrecked the country and yet people would still vote for him.

Everyone has their time. His time has passed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

amacachi wrote: »
    - |P|W|D|L|F|A|GD|Pts|Win%|PPG
    Hodgson's last 20 league matches |20|7|4|9|24|27|-3|25|35|1.25
    Kenny's last 20 league matches |20|6|6|8|22|21|+1|24|30|1.20

The tipping point?
    He wont be sacked before the end of the season.

More then likely the guys that run Fenway Sports Group are now frantically looking at getting in a new manager for the start of next season. Something that should have been done last year but they lacked the balls to do it. Of course Kenny will get the royal send off to mask over the fact that his tenure was really a failure. Much like the French and the 2nd World War.

The question now, who will replace him?

Xavi6 wrote: »
    By your logic Hodgson shouldn't have been sacked, needed more time...

That's total bull and you know it!

Liverpool were in the bottom half of the table, looked like relegation candidates at one stage and won nothing else under Hodgson.

Dalglish already has more silverware in the bag than any other premier league manager this season, and Liverpool fans want him sacked. You can't please some people.

Posts like yours make me wonder what sort of fan you really are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I hope to **** he stays.
    alproctor wrote: »
    Leave him where he is - he's doing a smashing job....
    God no! Liverpool are hilarious to watch at the moment!
    I want a 2nd series!

I agree wholeheartedly.

amacachi wrote: »
    - |P|W|D|L|F|A|GD|Pts|Win%|PPG
    Hodgson's last 20 league matches |20|7|4|9|24|27|-3|25|35|1.25
    Kenny's last 20 league matches |20|6|6|8|22|21|+1|24|30|1.20
    plasmaguy wrote: »

Liverpool were in the bottom half of the table, looked like relegation candidates at one stage and won nothing else under Hodgson.

Ahem... Xavi is 100% spot on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Snappy the Moose

Oranage2 wrote: »
    A massive mistake letting Roy go - Imagine what Hodgson would have done with 100 million.

We could have had the whole Fulham team playing in Liverpool shirts. Don't get me excited now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Dalglish already has more silverware in the bag than any other premier league manager this season, and Liverpool fans want him sacked. You can't please some people.

Your double standards for King Kenneth are amusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I don't think Dalglish is the man for Liverpool but the board and owners have put themselves in a ridiculous position, maybe Gillet and Hicks were smarter than people thought not putting him in charge for a short term gain(Good feeling lift for the players and fans), but long term really difficult to sack if it doesn't work out.

Obviously with Hodgson his position was made untenable by the fact that niether the players or the fans ever believed in him or wanted him to manage the club. Now they have a Manager that is struggling but fans and players are perhaps blinded by past glories and his deep understanding of "LFC" to see he can't take the club any further?

CSF wrote: »
    Roy Hodgson didn't get this sentiment. Having spent nowhere near as much.

Roy Hodgson had a record of never winning anything anywhere and also very rarely winning away matches. He also disrespected the club on lots of occassions with his comments (which have been posted already).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Snappy the Moose

J. Marston wrote: »
    I agree wholeheartedly.

It is turning into a plane crash at this stage alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

If hodgson had the same run, spend 100m on shíte, had the same reaction to the suarez story and came out with some of the same bullshíte king kenny did, he wouldn't only be sacked, he's be strung up outside anfield.

totally agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

The Reds have won just five of their 15 home league matches so far this season, which is their fewest in the top-flight at this stage since 1953/1954, when they had also won five

Hail to the king baby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭johnnyjb

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Good man. We did happen to beat the league leaders who knocked ye out. Along with wins away at Stoke and Chelsea. It was a really sweet day too. I can confirm that stuff is really enjoyable.

This is the epitimony of a liverpool season "YA WE CAME LAST BUT WE BEAT YE"

What a joke of a club. Pool fans would back kenny if he lead the players over a cliff. Hes a borderline senile old trout

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Left the pub at half time they were absolutely chronic.
    I would not sack him though. still fancy us for the cup.
    he should move upstairs then in some sort of role

Imagine what benitez would have done with 100 Million

You play so many stereotypes here it's fantastic!:D

And in fairness to Kenny he didn't get us knocked out in the League Cuop at home to Northampton.

That 20 games stat is interesting.

Find the stat on how many trophies Kenny won as a manger and compare that to Hodgson and you'll probably see why we treat Kenny with a more respect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Ha ha you're hilarious. At the end of the day Hodgson performed no worse than Dalglish. If Dalglish wasn't who he is, he'd have been stoned on the streets of Liverpool at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

johnnyjb wrote: »
    This is the epitimony of a liverpool season "YA WE CAME LAST BUT WE BEAT YE"

What a joke of a club. Pool fans would back kenny if he lead the players over a cliff. Hes a borderline senile old trout

He was talking about the carling cup in which liverpool won, so i have to ask the question, what the **** are you talking about.

Ahem... Xavi is 100% spot on.

Grand...

So what about Alex Ferguson so. I don't have the exact facts to hand, but there was loud calls for his head in his first few seasons at Utd, largely due to poor league runs.

I also think he lost in the FA Cup once or twice to some lower league teams as well.

If the same logic was followed then as is suggested with Dalglish, Ferguson would have to have been shown the door.

He was given 5 seasons to impose his mark, and won only one trophy in those 5 seasons, and Man Utd are no less of a club than Liverpool.

The Ferguson example is the classic example of why fans should be patient and not call for a manager to be sacked after a bad run of results. Mick McCarthy is another example. There are dozens more.

Comparing Dalglish's performance at Pool to Hodgon's is also stupid imo. Two completely different managers, one is a proven winner with big clubs, the other had no success at big clubs.

Sacking Dalglish now or end of season would make things worse for Liverpool.

johnnyjb wrote: »
    Hes a borderline senile old trout

I lol'd :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Sorry think my post is better served in here also last line is a question!

I don't think Dalglish is the man for Liverpool but the board and owners have put themselves in a ridiculous position, maybe Gillet and Hicks were smarter than people thought not putting him in charge for a short term gain(Good feeling lift for the players and fans), but long term really difficult to sack if it doesn't work out.

Obviously with Hodgson his position was made untenable by the fact that niether the players or the fans ever believed in him or wanted him to manage the club. Now they have a Manager that is struggling but fans and players are perhaps blinded by past glories and his deep understanding of "LFC" to see he can't take the club any further?

Also those saying McCarthy was sacked too early are wrong very very wrong imo.

doc_17 wrote: »
    Roy Hodgson had a record of never winning anything anywhere and also very rarely winning away matches. He also disrespected the club on lots of occassions with his comments (which have been posted already).

Hodgson and west brom has 3 points more than pool and Dalglish away from home in the prem this season having played the same number of away games.

Another rubbish theory bites the dust...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

So what about Alex Ferguson so. I don't have the exact facts to hand, but there was loud calls for his head in his first few seasons at Utd, largely due to poor league runs
    How much did Ferguson spend in his first four seasons?

The problem with LFC is not that they're performing poorly in the league, it's that they're under-performing when measured against the sums invested in the squad. There's no denying that last summer's buys have been extremely poor and there is a legitimate question as to whether Dalglish is the best man to rebuild the squad. Exhibit A for the prosecution: Downing

He was given 5 seasons to impose his mark, and won only one trophy in those 5 seasons, and Man Utd are no less of a club than Liverpool.

The Ferguson example is the classic example of why fans should be patient and not call for a manager to be sacked after a bad run of results. Mick McCarthy is another example. There are dozens more.

This can all be applied to Hodgson.

Also, you keep referring to McCarthy as an example for patience but at the same time say Hodgson never won anything. Remind me what Big Mick has in his trophy cabinate...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Rabble Rabble Rabble.

Give him 6 more months and a Goalscorer.

If we're still ****ed then grand.

Kenny is not a bad manager, he has made some poor transfer decisions, based on what seemed like sound enough principles at the time.

Adam, did well in the Premier League last year.
    Downing was highly saught after by all the top clubs.
    Henderson was an emerging young star.
    Carroll was scoring for fun.

The pressure of playing for Liverpool, combined with injuries and suspensions, along with alove for hitting the woodwork and missing penalties has contributed to our demise this season.

Put faith in the young lads for the rest of the season and get them game time.

Flanagan, Kelly, Sterling, Shelvey, Spearing, Henderson all should be given gametime and then decide whether they will make it at LFC or not, and ship them out of not.

• Advertisement

Ardent wrote: »
    Ha ha you're hilarious. At the end of the day Hodgson performed no worse than Dalglish. If Dalglish wasn't who he is, he'd have been stoned on the streets of Liverpool at this stage.

Why are you completely ignoring the two cup competitions??

To follow that logic, fans should ignore Benitez Champions League and FA Cup wins.

As has already been stated by me and others, transitional season, so very little chance of getting to Champions League spots.

If people are going to respond to my posts and just simply ignore the Pool cup successes, I'm just not going to waste my time responding.

Anyways, like I said, I'm not a pool fan, so yeh go ahead and sack your manager, in fact, I should be encouraging it. Just will say, if teams like Utd had done the same to Ferguson, where would they be today? Probably still searching for their first League Title since 1968.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Also, you keep referring to McCarthy as an example for patience but at the same time say Hodgson never won anything. Remind me what Big Mick has in his trophy cabinate...

Would you like Hodgson to take over for 5 years at City?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Hodgson was sacked because the football and the results weren't good enough.

Dalglish is still in the job because the football has improved and he's won the Carling Cup as well as gotten the club into the FA Cup Semis. The league position and the run they're on at the moment, though, are not good enough and he'll be held to the same standards as Hodgson. The owners won't treat him any differently.

My preference as a fan would be for him to step down even if the FA Cup is won.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Rabble Rabble Rabble.

Kenny is not a bad manager, he has made some poor transfer decisions, based on what seemed like sound enough principles at the time.

The pressure of playing for Liverpool, combined with injuries and suspensions, along with alove for hitting the woodwork and missing penalties has contributed to our demise this season.

Flanagan, Kelly, Sterling, Shelvey, Spearing, Henderson all should be given gametime and then decide whether they will make it at LFC or not, and ship them out of not.

The pressure of playing for Liverpool?

What about the pressure of playing for newcastle etc?

All the top clubs were after young not downing.

Rabble? Do you want to see the team relegated?

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Would you like Hodgson to take over for 5 years at City?

He's a 6th to 12th spot manager so we're bigger than that ;)

Five years ago when we were in Pool's position I'd have been fine with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Rabble Rabble Rabble.

Who are these ''top clubs'' you speak of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭johnnyjb

niallo27 wrote: »
    He was talking about the carling cup in which liverpool won, so i have to ask the question, what the **** are you talking about.

It was not a direct quote, it was a figure of speech.

You really showed how open to debate you are with your foul lanuage :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

He's a 6th to 12th spot manager so we're bigger than that ;)

Five years ago when we were in Pool's position I'd have been fine with it.

So you had zero aspirations for your club to rise above their 6th - 12th place status?

Hodgson and west brom has 3 points more than pool and Dalglish away from home in the prem this season having played the same number of away games.

Another rubbish theory bites the dust...

Yeah well done Woy...finally winning away from home!!!!! Check out his overall recors of away wins in the PL. It's awful.

And the never winnning anything part of that theory? I await your answer? Oh yeah...the danish league or something!

I suppose things are lonely in the Chelsea forum these days! lads like yourself are in the Man City forum now!

Where to start re McCarthy.

Won the Championship with two average teams compared to other big spenders in the division. Qualified Ireland for WC 2002 and also to the second round out of tough groups.

Kept a Wolves team in the Premier League for two seasons and probably third on a shoestring compared to other big spenders like West Ham.

For a team like Wolves, that is success. Now they will just go straight down, and probably heading for mid table Championship for foreseeable future, which of course they deserve nothing less.

Hodgson has no experience at winning the EPL. It was a bad decision to appoint him in the first place. Already Dalglish has more trophies in his first season.

I get the feeling I'm wasting my time anyways on this thread, so going to leave it. I'm not a pool fan, so it's easier for me to be less emotional about these things.

Sacking Dalglish makes no sense, but there hasn't been much sense around Anfield in the last few years, so he probably will be sacked. Next season Liverpool will have someone like AVB or Ranieri, or whatever high profile manager is free at the time. Don't think things will be better though. Their only hope is if Mourinho left Real Madrid, and if that happened, then maybe yes, ditch Dalglish. But in the absence of any other credible manager, getting rid of Dalglish now, won't help.

I'm done with this thread.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement