Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are Kenny Dalglish and Liverpool Done?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

busyliving wrote: »
    Yeah the players he signed for stupid money

Henderson 20 million
    Carroll 35 million
    Adam 7 million
    Downing 18 million

Probably the 4 worst players in the team too

Who's to say he won't be gone in the summer?

Sacking a manager now would be stupid as the FA cup is to play for. Whether Liverpool finish 5th, 6th or 7th, it'd irrelevent tbh.

4th spot is gone months ago, it never got off the ground tbh.

If Liverpool can win the FA cup after winning the Carling cup it can't be considered a poor season. There's fans of other clubs having a go in here that would consider that the greatest season of alltime.

League wise, of course it's been very poor, shocking at times.

The owners could well have their eyes on someone else already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Some people think that Managers have some sort of Magic Touch and change matches on the fly.

Kenny picked a team, that went out and dominated the match totally.
    Liverpool should have been 5-0 up tonight after 10 minutes.
    We had upwards of 18 corners tonight.

2-0 up.

The defence made 3 errors and QPR capitalised. One by Skrtel, One by Henderson and one by Enrique.

How anyone can blame Kenny for that is beyond me. Its just a reflection of Liverpools **** luck this season.

Adam and Carroll were disasterous buys.
    Coates, Henderson and Downing have potential to work out and show flashes of brilliant.
    Enrique (for most of the season) and Suarez have been great signings.

Along with this Kenny has Blooded Spearing and Kelly into more then servicable first teamers, and has managed to get the best out of Skrtel.

We've had **** luck with injuries, with Lucas, Gerrard, Johnson and Agger all missing large chunks of the season.

We've qualified for Europe (fine its through the Cup), one more season for Kenny to work the magic, and get us back in the Top 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Mr Alan wrote: »
    In answer to the question.

No.

Our league form has been very disappointing. Despite dominating virtually every game we play, we're not near clinical enough. Our general play has improved ten fold from where we we were when Kenny came in. There's a lot right with the set up at the club & the work he's doing there. We've a very good chance of finishing the season with two Cup wins.

Everyone knew we were a team in transition, the majority of our starting 11 is at the club less than 18 months for crying out loud. Even for a team in transition the league form has been poor. But despite everyone recognises, no one seems at all willing for any sacrifice during a transitional period.

He at least deserves to finish out this season & start the next.

The same Liverpool fans calling for his head will be the same ones calling for the new managers head when he doesn't barge into the top 4 in his first season. **** that, i'll leave em to it.

And what do you think of the 85 million he spent on absolute poison?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

liverpool were the 13th top scorers in the league going into tonight, with most of those 33 goals coming from set pieces or stoke city like hoof ball. the lack of creativity in the team is astounding. they probably have about 15 goals this season from actual decent football. after spending over 100million, thats simply not good enough.

He'll step down at the end of the season.

ya right and lose his €5million euro a year contract? he has the club bent over the proverbial barrel, but he cant do no wrong in his eyes.they wont sack him either, as the fans have been brainwashed into thinking he is actually a god.

he may talk like Stan and look like a dithering old fool, but i tell you, he is a very shrewd man and has the club wrapped around his finger. watch him get another bumber cheque book this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

busyliving wrote: »
    Yeah the players he signed for stupid money

Henderson 20 million
    Carroll 35 million
    Adam 7 million
    Downing 18 million

And adam was easily the most over priced one by faaaaaaaaar :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Teams in transition dont spend 50 million on strikers and then say "ahhh we in transition" you play your 18 year old wonder kid upfront when in transition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

- |P|W|D|L|F|A|GD|Pts|Win%|PPG
    Hodgson |20|7| 4|9|24|27|-3|25|35|1.25
    Kenny |29|11|9|9|35|29|+6|42|38|1.45

This whole thing "He spent x amount" is so silly. He didn't spend that money, it came from transfers. Like when you get paid and buy something. Apparently one can't "spend" income.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

No.

Our league form has been very disappointing. Despite dominating virtually every game we play, we're not near clinical enough. Our general play has improved ten fold from where we we were when Kenny came in. There's a lot right with the set up at the club & the work he's doing there. We've a very good chance of finishing the season with two Cup wins.

Everyone knew we were a team in transition, the majority of our starting 11 is at the club less than 18 months for crying out loud. Even for a team in transition the league form has been poor.

The same Liverpool fans calling for his head will be the same ones calling for the new managers head when he doesn't barge into the top 4 in his first season. **** that, i'll leave em to it.

This is deluded. it's a myth perpetuated by Dalglish apologists that the team have been playing attractive football. pool have been terrible to watch, just like they were under Roy and have deserved the results they have gotten which have been poor.

and who cares even if you were playing better football? its a results business at the end of it all.

Dalglish is clueless and even alot of liverpool fans are copping onto it now. Time to take off the blinkers Mr Alan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭busyliving

And adam was easily the most over priced one by faaaaaaaaar :pac:

And I don't know what he offers to Liverpool to be fair...

There best signing has been Bellamy and he was free

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Joe10000 wrote: »
    It's a rebuilding season, one cup in the bag and potentially another one on the way, something not quite right though but that's part of the rebuilding process.

Time and patience please.

He spent over 100 million to have a 'rebuilding season'? Must do better.

I support Chelsea, I swear ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

No.

Everyone knew we were a team in transition, the majority of our starting 11 is at the club less than 18 months for crying out loud. Even for a team in transition the league form has been poor. But despite everyone recognises, no one seems at all willing for any sacrifice during a transitional period.

Ignore me because I am making the same point I have made about you again but:

Your ability to completely apply one set of rules and circumstances to Roy and a completely different set to Kenny is baffling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

He bought absolute rubbish, Bellamy was the best signing and they got him on a free, hes not even a starter more of a impact sub since his knees are bad. Enrique was a good signing. Adam, Downing, Henderson and Carroll have been absolute Dross all season. It's gotten so bad when Carroll controls the ball alot of fans start saying "Carroll's having a good game".

On the plus side their defense has been excellent for most of the season, but I think that's more down to Steve Clarke than Kenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Let's be honest if it was anyone other than Kenny he'd be sacked.

I doubt he will throw in the towel and I think he probably will get another few games.

If you're gonna spend that much money he needs some return on it and for me the Carling Cup alone won't suffice.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

liverpool were the 13th top scorers in the league going into tonight, with most of those 33 goals coming from set pieces or stoke city like hoof ball. the lack of creativity in the team is astounding. they probably have about 15 goals this season from actual decent football. after spending over 100million, thats simply not good enough.

ya right and lose his €5million euro a year contract? he has the club bent over the proverbial barrel, but he cant do no wrong in his eyes.they wont sack him either, as the fans have been brainwashed into thinking he is actually a god.

he may talk like Stan and look like a dithering old fool, but i tell you, he is a very shrewd man and has the club wrapped around his finger. watch him get another bumber cheque book this summer.

When he was director of football at Celtic with John Barnes as manager, Kenny had a 7 year contact. Barnes had a 3 year contract. Barnes' reign went tits up after a few months - Henrik Larsson breaking his leg more or less finished Barnes - and Dalglish had to take over picking the team for the rest of the season. He went at the end of the season though, for a hell of a lot less than the 7 years that was left on his contract.

Liverpool will have to cut a deal with Kenny to get him to move on, you are right about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

stovelid wrote: »
    He's only been in charge at rovers for a month. Give him a chance.

Thanks a bunch for changing the thread title, yis c+nts :)

noodler wrote: »
    Ignore me because I am making the same point I have made about you again but:

Your ability to completely apply one set of rules and circumstances to Roy and a completely different set to Kenny is baffling.

I think it's baffling you can't remember all that was wrong with Roy Hodgson's spell as manager. I'm not just talking results.

This was a magager that was willing to sell Agger and Lucas for a start.

Btw, it's amazing how you always appear when Liverpool lose a game :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

kkkultv1k20.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

SantryRed wrote: »
    And what do you think of the 85 million he spent on absolute poison?

I'm unsure what to make of Carroll. The fee was ridiculous but I think he's a good player who could be a very good player for Liverpool for 10 years. I don't agree with how he's be used/not used this season tbh.

Henderson. I think he's gonna be a very good player for us.

Downing is a decent player who is struggling for us & was over priced.

Adam for £5m or whatever was paid I have no issue with (2 goals & 11 assists this season?). The issue with him is 1) he's played too much cause of Gerrard being injured & 2) he suffered when Lucas got injured as he helped Adam a lot.

Enrique has been an excellent buy.

Suarez has been a very good buy.

Bellamy has been a very good buy.

Coates I think will be a very good buy.

• Advertisement

nuxxx wrote: »
    He bought absolute rubbish, Bellamy was the best signing and they got him on a free, hes not even a starter more of a impact sub since his knees are bad. Enrique was a good signing. Adam, Downing, Henderson and Carroll have been absolute Dross all season. It's gotten so bad when Carroll controls the ball alot of fans start saying "Carroll's having a good game".

On the plus side their defense has been excellent for most of the season, but I think that's more down to Steve Clarke than Kenny.

Bellamy
    Coates
    Enrique
    Suarez

All been impressive and certainly not poor signings.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I think it's baffling you can't remember all that was wrong with Roy Hodgson's spell as manager. I'm not just talking results.

This was a magager that was willing to sell Agger and Lucas for a start.

Btw, it's amazing how you always appear when Liverpool lose a game :cool:

Slightly missing the point there I think. The point is there should be a comparable amount of criticism being directed at Kenny now.

Your last comment is a bit of a joke, designed no doubt to cushion the impact of reading words you don't want to hear.

Perhaps the fact league wins have been so few and far between in recent months that you are getting confused?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Bellamy
    Coates
    Enrique
    Suarez

I'll agree bar Suarez. I feel he's let the club down a few times and has been inconsistent. A lot of heart but a thug/reckless attitude that you just can't get away with in the modern game. Deserves to play I would say yes, Impressive I would say no.

Enrique has been up and down but has put in good shift in a good few games.

Adam, Henderson and Carrol however....

Bellamy
    Coates
    Enrique
    Suarez

Coates hasn't been played enough to be judged, Suarez hasn't been poor but as a striker you'd have expected him to score more goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Has anyone mentioned net spend yet? It's important you know :pac:

Slightly missing the point there I think. The point is there should be a comparable amount of criticism being directed at Kenny now.

Your last comment is a bit of a joke, designed no doubt to cushion the impact of reading words you don't want to hear.

Perhaps the fact league wins have been so few and far between in recent months that you are getting confused?

Nothing to do with cushioning anything,I know how poor we've been, just speaking the truth.

nuxxx wrote: »
    Coates hasn't been played enough to be judged, Suarez hasn't been poor but as a striker you'd have expected him to score more goals

He needs a striker alongside him

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Suarez has shown flashes but only 6 league goals and in one way or another making himself unavailable due to moments of madness goes against the 'Very good signing' mantra.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Has anyone mentioned net spend yet? It's important you know :pac:

A city fan on a highorse ! Well I never :D

He needs a striker alongside him

Fair enough I agree maybe next season we`ll see him bang more in. I would have included Suarez is my original post as a good signing just forgot about him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

why should there be, last year liverpool were 2nd from bottom for over a month of the season, they were played off the park at home to wolves and blackpool and knocked out of league cup by northampton of the lowest tier, when hodgson left liverpool there were 4 points from relegation and their fans were dreading having to go to old trafford to face man utd in the cup, some thinking it could be double figures

spurs recent league record is no better than liverpools....

Nothing to do with cushioning anything,I know how poor we've been, just speaking the truth.

Well then understand I am rarely without a comment in a match thread, have been commenting in them for four years and if my posting seems to be correlated with negative results later I suspect it has more to do with their frequency than any agenda you percieve me to have.

Noodler, am I correct in saying your bemused by how my opinion of two different men, who's experience in management differs, whose expectations for where Liverpool should be differs, whose footballing philosophy differs, who's attitudes towards the fans differ, whose attitude towards talented young players differ, whose love of Liverpool differ, whose respect for the club & it's traditions differ, is different?

You genuinely don't get that? Weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

People calling Henderson/Downing utter failures are wrong.

G.K. wrote: »

I agree. Henderson looks a good prospect and Downing has been playing well the past month or so including tonight.

Henderson still must be given time. But Downing has no excuses. He's a seasoned player and he has been a total passenger for Liverpool since he was signed.

rossie1977 wrote: »

Only if you specifically look at the last 2/3/4 matches. If you look at more than that Spurs are better, look at the most recent match and Spurs are better again. :pac:

Noodler, am I correct in saying your bemused by how my opinion of two different men, who's experience in management differs, whose expectations for where Liverpool should be differs, whose footballing philosophy differs, who's attitudes towards the fans differ, whose attitude towards talented young players differ, whose love of Liverpool differ, whose respect for the club & it's traditions differ, is different?

You genuinely don't get that? Weird.

I am saying the football played has been comparably terrible despite the fact Kenny has had a chance to build a team with 100m quid, he even managed to ditch an underperforming Torres for 50m.

Now, you took issue with some of Roy's ill-thought out comments in the Everton game, in some of the European games and fine - they were stupid.

Some of the pure sh1te Kenny has been coming out with is as bad if not worse though - his latest post-match interview for an example. I am honestly starting to think he is losing it.

Even away from footballing issues, wearing those stupid T-Shirts, having a go at interviewers when he is clearly in the wrong and misinformed (albeit issuing an apology afterwards).

After all this, your desire to give him another season is genuinely surprising to me and don't confuse this surprise with any love for Roy - because I don't have much - but just because Roy definitely wasn't the man doesn't mean Kenny definitely is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

say what you all like about what should happen to Kenny.

but this theory that all, or even the majority, of Liverpool fans are brainwashed by Kenny is such a load of ridiculous, mind-numbing horseshít. any text or FB i've got tonight from fellow fans is absolute frustration with him and the team.

he's got the season, and we'll see. and unless there's a good replacement available, he'll definitely get the start of the next.

the thing that everyone should remember is he hasn't managed a club at this level for a long time before now. he's proven nothing, and the game has changed since he won things with us.

he's a legend, and i'd love nothing more than for him to be the man to get us going properly again. but i just don't see it right now.

the cups have been great, but they've actually papered over huge deficiencies that we all know about by now, and i wouldn't trust him with a lot of money in the summer after the last big transfer window. that's actually my main concern really.

but yeah, please quit with the "brainwashed" talk, change the tune lads.

• Advertisement

Spurs are 4th. The whole point of a league is that it's not won or lost in a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,078 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

What I can't understand is that Kenny is a legend with the fans and seems to be getting no abuse, despite the fact that (that cup final withstanding) his record is probably no better than Roy Hodgsons, and he was ridiculed.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

The thing with Downing, Henderson, Adam and Carrol, is they are all around the same level. The level Liverpool are now.

The Fulham, Sunderland, Everton level players. These days that isnt good enough for top 4, and even top 6.

For the money they cost they were 4 poor signings. Okay Adam was a bargain for a squad player but the rest simply are bad signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Explain why?

Henderson a prospect. Ok, I don't see it but I'll give you that, he may need time.

Downing? Some serious straw clutching I'm expecting to back that one up

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

NIMAN wrote: »
    What I can't understand is that Kenny is a legend with the fans and seems to be getting no abuse, despite the fact that (that cup final withstanding) his record is probably no better than Roy Hodgsons, and he was ridiculed.

Different legacy
    Different persona

Well thats because it isn't true. He is getting plenty of abuse by some of the fans - a good number of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

amacachi wrote: »
    Only if you specifically look at the last 2/3/4 matches. If you look at more than that Spurs are better, look at the most recent match and Spurs are better again. :pac:

last 10 league games spurs have 2 wins, 4 draws 4 defeats
    last 11 league games liverpool have 3 wins, 3 draws, 5 defeats

I do wish people would stop saying this. Kennys first seven months back at the club were light years ahead (in every department) of Woys time at the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hodgson was bad and an outsider!

Obviously a troll-tastic sort of thread but equally one that won't be shoo'd away as long as
    the league results are as poor as they have been since Christmas. Even two cup wins, should it be that, won't be enough to assuage the concerns some of us have about Dalglish and his ability to oversee a league campaign.

why should there be, last year liverpool were 2nd from bottom for over a month of the season, they were played off the park at home to wolves and blackpool and knocked out of league cup by northampton of the lowest tier, when hodgson left liverpool there were 4 points from relegation and their fans were dreading having to go to old trafford to face man utd in the cup, some thinking it could be double figures

??

So we were in relegation form when Roy was sacked...we are in relegation form now.

I am not entirely sure how useful this point is. Nor am I sure it is even true.

We have 2 wins in the last three months - is Spurs' league form right now as bad as that?

last 10 league games spurs have 2 wins, 4 draws 4 defeats
    last 11 league games liverpool have 3 wins, 3 draws, 5 defeats

11=10? :confused:

Also you're wrong, Liverpool have 3 wins, 2 draws, 6 losses in last 11. Spurs have 3 wins, 3 draws and 4 losses in last 10.

Last 11: Liverpool 11 points, Spurs 15 points.
    Last 10: Liverpool 8 points, Spurs 12 points.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement