Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are Kenny Dalglish and Liverpool Done?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

opr wrote: »
    How are Man United doing in this time period ?

Opr

What an extremely telling line.

Why does it matter to you what that lot up the road are doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

Look it's really this simple.

Currently Liverpool don't have a squad of players that deserves to be in the top 4. That's not down to Dalglish's signings alone, it's to do with a number of factors, injuries among them, but also the fact Carraghar, Gerard and a couple others need replacing in the short to medium term.

And for the last time, he had only 40 million quid to spend on adding to the squad.

You cannot simply ignore the loss of what was a then 30 goal a season Torres.
    Torres at his peak was always going to be tough to replace.

Having said that if Torres showed his current form for Liverpool, he would have scored 5 goals for the season.

The whole situation is a mess anyways, blaming Dalglish who is trying his best is not the solution.

Players, owners, backroom staff, all need to take some of the blame for poor performances.

The problem with many pool fans is they have been rared on the instant success mantra brought in by Benitez when he spent something like 230 million gross, and still couldn't win a league title.

I think Pool need to build slowly from the foundations up, and not rely on expensive signings, and if that means a couple of mid table seasons, so be it, instead of yo-yoing up and down the table as they have done the last few years.

Gradual building of the team is the answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

cson wrote: »
    Right I'm framing it in the context of next year being the 3rd year Liverpool have been out of the Champions League. So in 3 years of being out of the CL, if you do a Cup double then its better than finishing 3/4th for 3 years.

Obviously the Warrior and Standard Chartered deals you signed recently offset the loss to great extent but at the same time £30m per year for the last 3 years could have the club closer to the top of the league.

Obviously the caveat here is the club was disgracefully run for a couple of years.

Lets not continue this charade any further.

Only a year back I had two cowboys asset striping the club, draining it for whatever they could before we finally got rid. You might have heard we actually went pretty close to going under as a club. I had a man in charge of my club I full on hated in Roy Hodgson. The football was terrible as was the whole atmosphere at the club.

I mean this with such a degree of sincerity you won't appreciate but Kenny decision to come back as manager no matter what happens in the future will have been the right one in my eyes. He gave the fans a sense of unity, pride and got us all back pulling into one direction while dramatically improving the football. The club needed him at that time.

So fast forward a year things in the league haven't gone well, spending has been bad but we have a cup I still believe that small things like Llorente instead of Carroll could have dramatically changed the landscape of our season. When I look back to how close the really bad times are it gives a little perspective.

What I don't get is the obsession in this thread with fans from other clubs and our welfare as a club ? If you think us supporting Kenny for another year is wrong then cool but wouldn't you be delighted with that outcome ? I find all that has gone on very strange and if anything the rubbish in threads like this and the media has only strengthen my backing to Kenny.

I love the man, still have faith and am looking forward very much to next season.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

plasmaguy wrote: »

Currently Liverpool don't have a squad of players that deserves to be in the top 4. That's not down to Dalglish's signings alone, it's to do with a number of factors, injuries among them, but also the fact Carraghar, Gerard and a couple others need replacing in the short to medium term.

And for the last time, he had only 40 million quid to spend on adding to the squad.

Having said that if Torres showed his current form for Liverpool, he would have scored 5 goals for the season.

The whole situation is a mess anyways, blaming Dalglish who is trying his best is not the solution.

Players, owners, backroom staff, all need to take some of the blame for poor performances.

The problem with many pool fans is they have been rared on the instant success mantra bought in by Benitez when he spent something like 230 million gross, and still couldn't win a league title.

I think Pool need to build slowly from the foundations up, and not rely on expensive signings, and if that means a couple of mid table seasons, so be it, instead of yo-yoing up and down the table as the have done the last few years.

Convenient use of 'net' and 'gross' there to support you're argument. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Only a year back I had two cowboys asset striping the club, draining it for whatever they could before we finally got rid. You might have heard we actually went pretty close to going under as a club. I had a man in charge of my club I full on hated in Roy Hodgson. The football was terrible as was the whole atmosphere at the club.

I mean this with such a degree of sincerity you won't appreciate but Kenny decision to come back as manager no matter what happens in the future will have been the right one in my eyes. He gave the fans a sense of unity, pride and got us all back pulling into one direction while dramatically improving the football. The club needed him at that time.

So fast forward a year things in the league haven't gone well, spending has been bad but we have a cup I still believe that small things like Llorente instead of Carroll could have dramatically changed the landscape of our season. When I look back to how close the really bad times are it gives a little perspective.

What I don't get is the obsession in this thread with fans from other clubs and our welfare as a club ? If you think us supporting Kenny for another year is wrong then cool but wouldn't you be delighted with that outcome ? I find all that has gone on very strange and if anything the rubbish in threads like this and the media has only strengthen my backing to Kenny.

I love the man, still have faith and am looking forward very much to next season.

Opr

fwiw I think you should stick with KD. Goes without saying transfer policy would have to be seriously re evaluated in the summer though.

And the reason other fans are taking an interest is downright schadenfreude; simple.

Des wrote: »
    What an extremely telling line.

Why does it matter to you what that lot up the road are doing?

What's that flying over your head ;)

Opr

AGC wrote: »
    Page 44 to save you thrwaling through your posts.
    KeithAFC wrote: »
    That is the crux of the matter. Football has changed from the 90s and early 00s.

It's a fair point.

But Barcelona were always second best to big spending Real Madrid up until quite recently.

It's only when a generation of home grown players like Inniesta, Xavi, Messi and a few others came to the fore that they started to come out on top.

It can be done, but it takes years, perhaps 10 years to copy the Barcelona model, a team now considered the best club team ever.

cson wrote: »
    Convenient use of 'net' and 'gross' there to support you're argument. ;)

I'm not the first and certainly won't be the last to do that. Others do the same, they say Dalglish spent x gross, and when you remind them Benitez spent y gross, they say, yeh but he only spent z net.

If we all agree to stick to Gross figures, fine, 100 million gross is still nothing compared to Man City or Chelsea over the last 6-7 years, or Man Utd.

Anyways bringing in a lot of new players at the same time is rarely a good idea, as they struggle to gel. Better to bring in at most 2-3 every season.

Even if Dalglish managed to somehow drag this motley crew of aging and new signings into the CL next year, they'd get hammered in every game. They just aren't Champion League standard at the moment.

Anyways, I'm not sure Dalglish is mainly to blame for all the English players brought in? Didn't the owner have a say in that, something to do with increasing the brand in England or something.

All these American owners are obsessed with brand from what I can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

If we all agree to stick to Gross figures, fine, 100 million gross is still nothing compared to Man City or Chelsea over the last 6-7 years, or Man Utd.

If your going to go by 6 or 7 years why not compare all the teams over that period?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

The problem with many pool fans is they have been rared on the instant success mantra brought in by Benitez when he spent something like 230 million gross, and still couldn't win a league title.

I think Pool need to build slowly from the foundations up, and not rely on expensive signings, and if that means a couple of mid table seasons, so be it, instead of yo-yoing up and down the table as they have done the last few years.

Dalglish has only had £40m to spend on the team.. Benitez only had an average of £10m per season so already Dalglish has an advantage over Benitez.

In all your posts referring to net and gross you fail to recognise that Benitez was Liverpool manager for 6 years from 2004 until 2010 and spent £231m gross with a net of £60m. Dalglish has been Liverpool manager from 2011 until now (2012) with a gross of £110m and a net of between £30m and £40m. The timespan in charge has to be factor when comparing the two.

You talk about gradual building. Benitez done that in the academy by getting rid of Heighway and replacing him with Segura, Borrell, Dalglish and McParland to oversee youth development. What Benitez then done is supplement the existing talent with some of the best rated kids around like Nemeth, San Jose, Insua, Dalla Valle, Ayala, Sterling, Hammill, Guthrie, Anderson, Barragan, Paletta, Hobbs, Suso and Shelvey plus Benitez also blooded Kelly and Robinson into the first team. This stagnation in the academy came from the Houllier era and takes time to rectify, we produced nothing of note after Fowler, Owen, Gerrard, Thompson and Carragher and only now are we seeing Kelly, Sterling, Flanagan and Robinson getting games. Out of the players Benitez bought Ayala, Hammill and Guthrie are all playing for other PL teams, Paletta plays for Parma, San Jose for Athletic Bilbao, Barragan for Valencia and Insua for Sporting Lisbon. The fees received for these players are making the academy cost effective although finding players at the top level is difficult but it shows progress.

Under Benitez we didn't yo-yo up and down the table, we finished 5-3-3-4-2-7. In that time we had two finishes with over 80 points yet the funds were never provided to build upon it, we had to compete with Chelsea and United spending a lot more than us and now we have Man City doing the same so in some ways it's near impossible.

In Benitez's last season we lost Alonso, then under Hodgson we lost Mascherano and Aquilani was loaned out for two seasons. The only centre mid of note to join us in that time has been Meireles who is now also sold. So to sum it up we've lost Alonso, Mascherano, Aquilani and Meireles who now play for Real Madrid, Barcelona, AC Milan and Chelsea and all are regular internationals for Spain, Argentina, Italy and Portugal. We have replaced these players with Poulsen??, Spearing, Adam and Henderson so now you see the key area where we've lost top quality and not replaced it plus Gerrard has been pulled back from an attacking position to compensate the lack of midfield quality and the attack has now suffered with his loss.

The problems here are simple: It's selling better players and not replacing them with similar quality and tactical adjustments.
    So who do you blame for poor recruitment and poor tactics?

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »
    Not true. One thing that has changed to a massive degree at Liverpool over the past few years is how the club is run in business terms. The club has been dragged into the modern era in terms of sponsorship money etc, and come the summer another big and new sponsorship deal (Warrior) kicks in.

Financially the club is healthier now than it has been for nearly two decades including when it was in the CL on a regular basis.

On the pitch Liverpool are underachieving in the league, but in commercial terms the club is doing very well, something that should become more and more apparant in the coming years.

I think Spurs are a very well run club in commercial terms but I do think that in terms of new growth it may have maxxed out some avenues. It will still remain a well run club though.

Well London is an absolutely huge market, so I still think there is room for growth for Spurs. Granted the stadium is not as big as many others but with the population and the success in getting to the CL, it will definitely grow.

The ownership change has certainly helped ye with regard to the financial situation and by all accounts NESV are shrewd operators. The warrior sports deal has come about 5 years too late in terms of what other top teams are getting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Opr

seinfeld.gif

Well London is an absolutely huge market, so I still think there is room for growth for Spurs. Granted the stadium is not as big as many others but with the population and the success in getting to the CL, it will definitely grow.

They already have the highest home ticket prices in the EPL. Also London is a good and bad market depending on how you look at it. You are in a city already stuffed with top level football and general sports options, along with every entertainment option a man could think of.

Spurs are already a very well run club that have tapped out a lot of their financial potential. To argue they may have limited growth potential is a genuine compliment. I wish Liverpool had been run as competently over the past few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

personally i want dalglish to stay on so liverpool will remain the joke they've been this season. i don't support anyone in epl but it's funny seeing a big club be so so bad, yet loads of the fans ignore the problem, i.e the buffoon in charge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Opr

Thank you . Just thank you !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭firemansam4

EdenHazard wrote: »
    personally i want dalglish to stay on so liverpool will remain the joke they've been this season. i don't support anyone in epl but it's funny seeing a big club be so so bad, yet loads of the fans ignore the problem, i.e the buffoon in charge

Well I suppose changing managers every few games like Chelsea have really helped them out??

This idea that Liverpool fans are blinded with loyalty for Kenny is ridiculous given that he is barely in the job a year, and already given us more success than the previous 2 seasons! Yes the latest run of games in the league has been horrendous, but that is no reason to hit the panic button yet, you only have to look at Chelsea to see that keep changing managers doesn't work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭dubdamo

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Any man who calls kenny a Buffoon is,well, a buffoon:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Not trying to drag this thread OT but I said I'd address thihs so I will.
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    So I hear all the time. Yet:

the management issue is huge;
    Yes it is, but plenty of Spurs fans, myself included, feel that Harry has taken the club as he can, especially with his behaviour in the past few weeks. Personally, I'd be delighted with a new manager, it would be very interesting to see who we'd get considering our recent rise.
    - CL football for next year is not assured;
    Neither is it assured for Arsenal, but, with our draw at the Bridge coupled with our easier run in, it seems like we'll finish at least 4th. Momentum can come as easy as it can go.
    - squad contingency for next season is uncertain;
    With CL qualification that will be resolved, espescially with the promise of a top class manager.
    - ticket prices are tapped out; stadium expansion / movement isn't currently on the cards;
    Ticket prices aren't tapped out and a stadium move is certainly on the cards. Within 10 years we will be at a 60,000 seater stadium, one way or the other.
    Spurs have got to this point through a brilliant strike rate on transfers over the past few years. The return relative to the amount spent and level of players acquired is way above expectation. Gareth Bale's development was also an extraordinary slice of good fortune.

Right now they have a good squad, but it is very foolish indeed to think that their model is sustainable.
    So, the point you're making here is that we got lucky in the past few years? What a crock of shít. We've bought young and developed from there. No players brought in at their peak for silly money even. We also have some good youth prospects, that with more transfers, and hopefully we'll be keeping the likes of Modric and Bale for a few more seasons, will see us improve further. Rumours are we've agreed personal terms with Hazard and a few with Lille. There's another fine piece of business.

Levy is perhaps the finest chairman in the PL, most of the credit goes to him for getting us where we are, and under his stewardship for the next 10/20 years I see no reason why we shouldn't keep improving. Our books are fine, and we are extremely healthy financially, especially compared to other top EPL clubs. Liverpool would do very well to get a chairman of his calibre in.

And if you're going to reply do so by PM, no point dragging the thread OT even further.

Someone start a thread on are Harry and Spurs done.

Opr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

THFC wrote: »

Ticket prices aren't tapped out and a stadium move is certainly on the cards. Within 10 years we will be at a 60,000 seater stadium, one way or the other.

Just on that and it's more a general point but I've noticed this on a couple of team threads, definitely Chelsea anyway. Liverpool are weighing up this choice though it looks like there isn't much choice in it, a new stadium with 20,000 odd extra seats vs. redevelopment. Redevelopment is the cheaper option if possible, a new stadium means naming rights to make it viable.

Fans see a new stadium as some quick fix, obviously it isn't as it still has to be paid for and the transfer fund will suffer in that time.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Yes it is, but plenty of Spurs fans, myself included, feel that Harry has taken the club as he can, especially with his behaviour in the past few weeks. Personally, I'd be delighted with a new manager, it would be very interesting to see who we'd get considering our recent rise.

Rednapp seems to have many, many poor points but the squad has rallied around him and he has got them playing very good football. The assumption that a new manager will come in and do better because of the quality of the squad is quite naive. Rednapp has a very particular way of doing things (you certainly won't find any other top european manager like him) and a new guy could upset the apple cart in terms of the mix in the dressing room.
    Neither is it assured for Arsenal, but, with our draw at the Bridge coupled with our easier run in, it seems like we'll finish at least 4th. Momentum can come as easy as it can go.

A lot of pressure to come between now and the end of the season. Chelsea and Arsenal have more players in their squads used to big games down the stretch.
    With CL qualification that will be resolved, espescially with the promise of a top class manager.

Again, a lot of assumptions being made here. It isn't merely about being in the Champions League. It's pay ceilings, and the possibility of maybe winning a Champions League or League.

How much higher can ticket prices go? Being an Irish fan heading over and back to Spurs numerous times a year doesn't seem cheap to me. What plans are currently in the pipeline for expansion / stadium move?

So, the point you're making here is that we got lucky in the past few years? What a crock of shít. We've bought young and developed from there. No players brought in at their peak for silly money even. We also have some good youth prospects, that with more transfers, and hopefully we'll be keeping the likes of Modric and Bale for a few more seasons, will see us improve further. Rumours are we've agreed personal terms with Hazard and a few with Lille. There's another fine piece of business.

Luck means many things. Spurs have adapted a very sensible and forward thinking approach to player acquirment. But to not realise that they have ran way above and beyond expectation in their player dealings over the past few years is extremely ignorant. I agree that buying young is a good approach, but the strikerate has been extraordinary. Bale's leap from average fullback to superstar winger was amazing. Modric has exceeded all expectations when he moved. The likes of Gallas, Friedal, VDV and Parker have all turned out splendidly. If you keep buying potential or experience eventually you are going to get guys who don't pan out or are just poised to fall off the cliff of their careers.

You just need four or five moves to flop badly over the course of a couple of transfer windows and you're in trouble.

Levy is perhaps the finest chairman in the PL, most of the credit goes to him for getting us where we are, and under his stewardship for the next 10/20 years I see no reason why we shouldn't keep improving. Our books are fine, and we are extremely healthy financially, especially compared to other top EPL clubs. Liverpool would do very well to get a chairman of his calibre in.

I wouldn't write FSG off just yet. It's very much early days for them, and they have form in other sporting arenas.

As long as Levy is there Spurs will never go broke. He has proved himself to be incredibly astute I'll agree. But long term success in the modern game is dependent on investment in players and wages. Spurs have got to where they are despite shovelling money at the problem. But that is dependant on a success rate in the transfer market that is unsustainable.

And there is a chasm between where Spurs are now and actually winning a league or Champions League.
    And if you're going to reply do so by PM, no point dragging the thread OT even further.

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Momentum can come as easy as it can go.

Surely momentum is a lot easier to lose that it is to get?

It takes a few games to gain momentum but only 1 game to lose it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Building is the hard part, destroying is the easy bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

What I don't get is the obsession in this thread with fans from other clubs and our welfare as a club ?

Liverpool is one the biggest clubs in the world who have brought back probably their greatest son to bring them back former glories.... and have a place in the game that apparently certain clubs never have.
    Joe10000 wrote:
    it's understandable, we have a place in the game that you will never have.link

Liverpools record the past 6 months in the league is shocking. King Kenny is the icon of the club. The club is heavily supported across the world particularly in Ireland. Neutrals, rival fans and even some Liverpool posters will discuss this thoroughly and dare I say it some will enjoy their downfall for various reasons they may have. Some fans have the holier than thou attitude about their clubs (not just Liverpool)... like the example I give above from Joe10000 that was thanked by two regular posters on here.

Arsenal fans got it/gave it with Wenger. Fans of other clubs got it/gave it. Is it getting old? Yes I think it is. Is it an obsession? For some, possibly. Is it to be expected? Unfortunately yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Bumpity bump...

http://www.koptalk.co.uk/201203284351/Liverpool-FC-News/tino-asprilla-dalglish-destroyed-newcastle.html
    Tino Asprilla says Kenny Dalglish was responsible for 'destroying' Newcastle United.

The former Newcastle United striker was frozen out of the Newcastle team much to the annoyance of the Toon faithful who never warmed to Dalglish.

A report in the Chronicle today who are previewing Sunday's match, states that Dalglish 'arrived on Tyneside in 1997 hoping to lift the Premier League title, but only succeeded in dismantling one of the greatest teams in the Magpies' history as he incredibly sold Peter Beardsley, David Ginola, Les Ferdinand, Lee Clark, John Beresford, Robbie Elliott – and the talisman himself, Asprilla. Dalglish did lead the black-and-whites to the Champions League, but his wrecking spree on Tyneside broke up Kevin Keegan's dream team – to the fury of the Toon Army. Worse still, Dalglish then caused astonishment at St James' Park by replacing the terrace favourites with veterans like John Barnes, Ian Rush, Stuart Pearce and virtual unknowns like Des Hamilton and Garry Brady.'

Asprilla told the newspaper: "When Kenny Daglish arrived at Newcastle I had heard so many good things about him and I could not wait to play for him.

"Anyone who achieves so much as a player like he did you would naturally expect him to do well as a manager. This was not the case.

"Within months he had the team playing a style that was alien to most of us and he started to sell some of our star players. The stars like Ginola, Ferdinand and Beardsley were moved on.

"It was a team that could have gone on to win the league, having come so close in 1996.

"But instead we were broken up and the dream faded. I was sad to see Dalglish destroy the team."

He added: "I have no malice towards Kenny, but with hindsight I think the club and the fans realise now that he was not the right man for the job."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Xavi6 wrote: »

I'd be wary of copyright from that sight, bit of a "history" it has, shall we say.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

In all fairness Xavi i think you're being very hard on him, he isnt a bad manager - He might not be a top 4 manager but if you're a club that wants to finish mid-table and have 100 million in the kitty then he's your man.

On a side note, look in the Pool thread and they say Kalou isnt good enough - If Pool by some stretch of the imagination managed to sign him he'd be one of their best players only slightly behind Suarez when he's not banned or Gerard when he's not injured.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    In all fairness Xavi i think you're being very hard on him, he isnt a bad manager - He might not be a top 4 manager but if you're a club that wants to finish mid-table and have 100 million in the kitty then he's your man.

On a side note, look in the Pool thread and they say Kalou isnt good enough - If Pool by some stretch of the imagination managed to sign him he'd be one of their best players only slightly behind Suarez when he's not banned or Gerard when he's not injured.

That was bad alright but what's even funnier is the chap who listed Cavani and Lavezzi as realistic signings :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Ahh Faustino Asprilla the pillar of honesty and all things good in the game :rolleyes:

Is this the same honest speaking Asprilla that screwed over Darlington football club after been offered around £17,000 per week (massive amount at the time for such a small club ) plus 20% of gate receipts, a car and a rent-free house , paraded in front of the fans to then do a disapearing act and never be seen again ?

The same Asprilla that continued to show up a Newcastle training in an unfit state after his playboy antics the night before ? so after repeated warnings was rightly moved on by Kenny .

The article seems more like sour grapes to me .

Jeez Xavi6 your standards are dropping . Next time come back with something tangible and not this tripe :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Flancrest

There is no way Liverepool should get rid of Kenny.

Its been clear for a long time now that Liverpool don't have the spending power to compete with the bigger clubs in the league (lets face it the premier league has been bought since it started).
    Because of this Kenny is clearly building a squad to compete in Europe.
    He's made outstanding signings for this in the shape of Adam and Downing who I think will flurish on the European stage due to the amount of time they will get on the ball.

So all Kenny has to do to be considered successful is win the League Cup every year and get into the Europa league. With thier current midfield and Suarez I can't really see anyone in that competition competing with us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

mixednuts wrote: »
    Ahh Faustino Asprilla the pillar of honesty and all things good in the game :rolleyes:

Is this the same honest speaking Asprilla that screwed over Darlington football club after been offered around £17,000 per week (massive amount at the time for such a small club ) plus 20% of gate receipts, a car and a rent-free house , paraded in front of the fans to then do a disapearing act and never be seen again ?

The same Asprilla that continued to show up a Newcastle training in an unfit state after his playboy antics the night before ? so after repeated warnings was rightly moved on by Kenny .

Dalglish took Newcastle from CL football one season to 13th the next. Hardly revolutionary to say that he did a bad job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Flancrest wrote: »
    So all Kenny has to do to be considered successful is win the League Cup every year and get into the Europa league. With thier current midfield and Suarez I can't really see anyone in that competition competing with us.
    Really?
    United and City,you know those two teams that are like 30 points ahead,were knocked out quite easily yet you think nobody could compete with Liverpool?
    Edit:Seems like I forgot to change the batteries in my sarcasm detector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Its been clear for a long time now that Liverpool don't have the spending power to compete with the bigger clubs in the league (lets face it the premier league has been bought since it started).
    He's made outstanding signings for this in the shape of Adam and Downing who I think will flurish on the European stage due to the amount of time they will get on the ball.

NotSureIfSerious.jpg

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Really?
    United and City,you know those two teams that are like 30 points ahead,were knocked out quite easily yet you think nobody could compete with Liverpool?
    Edit:Seems like I forgot to change the batteries in my sarcasm detector.

Yes but both Ferguson and Mancini play a different style of football in European competitions. Its a style that Liverpool would easily play against and win these one off ties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Yes but both Ferguson and Mancini play a different style of football in European competitions. Its a style that Liverpool would easily play against and win these one off ties.

LOL, just LOL

LOL, just LOL

???

???

Your assumption that Pool would "easily" beat Utd or City, in europe

Its just a general sweeping statement without any factual basis or explanation

Sadly, I dont think we will ever see Dalglishs pool V fergie\mancini in the CL
    (Hows that for my own sweeping statement - but then certainly not next year unless results go pools way)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Oh,you were being serious.Well........sorry......I just don't know where to start :confused:

Your assumption that Pool would "easily" beat Utd or City, in europe

Its just a general sweeping statement without any factual basis or explanation

Sadly, I dont think we will ever see Dalglishs pool V fergie\mancini in the CL
    (Hows that for my own sweeping statement - but then certainly not next year unless results go pools way)

It is based on the playing styles adopted by both managers when playing in Europe. Liverpool would simply be too hot to handle for United in particular Dirk Kuyt who could easily score 2 in each leg against United or City. Also as previously mentioned players would get more time on the ball allowing better service for Any Carrolls aerial threat.
    We probably won't see them in CL action next season but a Europa League clash is very possible.

It is based on the playing styles adopted by both managers when playing in Europe. Liverpool would simply be too hot to handle for United in particular Dirk Kuyt who could easily score 2 in each leg against United or City. Also as previously mentioned players would get more time on the ball allowing better service for Any Carrolls aerial threat.
    We probably won't see them in CL action next season but a Europa League clash is very possible.

You were doing so well until this :o

• Advertisement

You must be new here.

And new to soccer in general.

You were doing so well until this :o

I agree in league play this would not happen but given the tactics employed by Ferguson and Mancini and the extra time on the ball allowed in European football I don't see why this wouldn't happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

mixednuts wrote: »

Jeez Xavi6 your standards are dropping . Next time come back with something tangible and not this tripe :P

Just linking that site made the article a joke

You must be new here.

And new to soccer in general.

Well done.
    You have really argued your point well there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭firemansam4

:D I really thought this was sarcasm as well!

Iv'e never advocated that Liverpool get rid of Kenny now but this post makes me laugh...

leaving aside the fact you think Downing and Adam were great signings, would you really be content as a Liverpool fan with Liverpool just winning the Carling cup every year just to get into the Europa league? I really hope things have not got that bad that we could consider that a success every year?

Yes I know Liverpool might not be able to compete with Manchester utd and City at the moment but to just settle for what you have said there well it defies belief :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

I agree in league play this would not happen but given the tactics employed by Ferguson and Mancini and the extra time on the ball allowed in European football I don't see why this wouldn't happen

Like how ManUtd got extra time on the ball vs Bilbao, so were Arsenal against Milan. They had so much time on the ball they didn't know what to do in the spare time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

the "more time on the ball" cliché.

love it.

if you watch any other leagues, the amount of pressing the ball has increased 10 fold over the last couple of years. clubs realised that a huge component of the likes of Barca's success is pressing high up the pitch. see Bilbao. see Milan for large stretches last night. see Real. see so many teams.

Adam and Downing cannot be considered great signings in any sense yet. and that "yet" is being generous because I'm a fan of the club.

You better pray that you dont meet Cardiff after dumping out Utd or City then! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

SlickRic wrote: »
    the "more time on the ball" cliché.

love it.

There are few more too,

"Milan are slow and ageing side" "Serie A is too slow" "La Liga defense is poor", so many to make anyone believe Premier League is the best.

• Advertisement

Well done.
    You have really argued your point well there.

I was going to use a Wonka photo that I thought it was too harsh.

But I still can't actually figure out if you are serious....
    Liverpool would simply be too hot to handle for United in particular Dirk Kuyt who could easily score 2 in each leg against United or City.
    and the extra time on the ball allowed in European football
    He's made outstanding signings for this in the shape of Adam and Downing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement