Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Games as a Birthday Present-Suggestions?

Options
  • 21-03-2012 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I bought my boyfriend one of those white PS3s for Christmas. It's his birthday now on Friday and I wanted to get him a few games, aswell as a PSN voucher. He got Skyrim with the PS3, and he loved it. He also has Dead Space, and Dead Space 2.. (Scary sh*t, I don' play but I love watching him!)

Can you recommend any good games that are out at the moment that I could get him as part of his birthday present? He doesn't like COD, I'm not familiar with popular games, I just sit there and shout words of encouragement. :D

Thanks everyone!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The Uncharted series. 1 is good if you give it a bit of time. 2 and 3 are class games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

The Uncharted series (1-3)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

+1 on uncharted games. If he had any love to indiana Jhones movies then he will love those. 1 and 2 can be picked up very cheap online.
    Get him a voucher for GameStop. That's what my misses does all the time. I really love it as I can go and pick up stuff I like. Plus you won't be in situation where you might buy something that he won't have intrest in.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Get him a voucher for GameStop.

You could also get a One4All voucher. It will work in Gamestop, HMV and Argos (plus he could spend half in one shop and half in another - the credit is stored as a value on a card).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

I'd love to get him a voucher, but I'm already getting him a PSN one, I'm being one of those girls who tries to take an interest in what he likes, and pick him out something good.. :rolleyes: I want to kind of have a treat day where he games all he wants, and I watch, and make him replenishing cups of tea (which I don't even drink!), and cook for him!

Just snuck a wee look at the games shelf.. Found all the Uncharted games! :mad:

Anything else??

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »
    You could also get a One4All voucher. It will work in Gamestop, HMV and Argos (plus he could spend half in one shop and half in another - the credit is stored as a value on a card).

Never knew about those. Even better so! Gaming Vouchers is my favourite thing to get :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Just snuck a wee look at the games shelf.. Found all the Uncharted games! :mad:

Selfish bastard. How dare he ruin your birthday plans. :o

How about the God of War collection (which has God of War 1 & 2), plus God of War 3?

Here's a long shot - Dantes inferno.

I loved that game and misses freaking loved to watch me play it even more. She would actually force me to play it as she wanted to see what's next.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

If he's into horror games then the Silent Hill HD collection is out on Friday and has Silent Hill 2 which is probably the best survival horror out there. Should be less than €30 too in most places.

Here's a long shot - Dantes inferno.

I loved that game and misses freaking loved to watch me play it even more. She would actually force me to play it as she wanted to see what's next.

oooooooooooooooohhh!! :D Just googled that, I like the look of it!

Everytime we had a spare day I used to make him play Skyrim. Heehee! :D I love that game so much! I wish I had the time to sit down and play it myself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Farcheal

Mass Effect series has 2 and 3 out for the ps3. Very engaging storylines and characters etc. and very fun to play.

If he's into horror games then the Silent Hill HD collection is out on Friday and has Silent Hill 2 which is probably the best survival horror out there. Should be less than €30 too in most places.

Well I think I will be picking that up! He works in games development, and my boss always gets me to ask him to recommend stuff. Just quizzed him there from my "boss" about Silent Hill and Dante's Inferno... He's never played Silent Hill or Dante's Inferno..

SCORE!! :D

Thanks peeps!

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

See if he had played Batman Arkham Aslyum or Arkham City 2 very good games

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Sherfin

Uncharted and God of War series are a must. Silent Hill and Resident Evil series are great if you're into the horror genre. Quite enjoyed Dante's. If he's into games with a good story then also check out BioShock I & II. Darksiders while nothing new was an excellent game. For fun, the Lego games are great as are the Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter and Sly Cooper - they may look cartoon-like but are just great games to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Dark Souls - excellent game

• Registered Users Posts: 29,128 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'd recommend Arkham Asylum and Arkham City.

Or if want a pretty open world game that's fun, Infamous 1 and 2

Screw him, will you be my girlfriend?

If I'm honest, I found Dante's Inferno to be incredibly boring and not what it seemed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,074 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'd love to get him a voucher, but I'm already getting him a PSN one, I'm being one of those girls who tries to take an interest in what he likes, and pick him out something good.. :rolleyes: I want to kind of have a treat day where he games all he wants, and I watch, and make him replenishing cups of tea (which I don't even drink!), and cook for him!

Best. Girlfriend. Ever.

+1 for God of War, inFamous and Bioshock.

Maybe Fallout 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

The infamous games are a sure bet. There's two in the series and both could be picked up fairly cheaply to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Infamous 1 + 2
    Jak and Daxter collection
    Gran Turismo 5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Skyrim + Dead Space = Dark Souls (kind of!)

So yeah Dark Souls. If he enjoyed Skyrim it's a similar type of game but with the atmosphere/horror of Dead Space.

They have the Collectors Edition for €30 used in Gamestop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Have to admit I would personally avoid Dante's Inferno. God of war does the same thing so much better. God of war HD collection + god of war 3 and he's guaranteed to be happy. However if you want a one off game in this style than Castlevania: Lords of Shadow is excellent also.

Top pick would have to be Dark Souls (imo the best console game this gen) but it's a tough one as he will either love you or hate you for it!! :P

An alternative RPG and safer choice than Dark Souls would be Dragon Age: Origins. You could get it for cheap but avoid the 2nd one.

Personally I would get one of either the Uncharted Series or the God of War series and then one of either Dark Souls or Dragon Age: Origins.

Oh and the Silent Hill HD collection as a bonus :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

I bought my boyfriend one of those white PS3s for Christmas.
    I'm being one of those girls who tries to take an interest in what he likes, and pick him out something good.. :rolleyes: I want to kind of have a treat day where he games all he wants, and I watch, and make him replenishing cups of tea (which I don't even drink!), and cook for him!
    Everytime we had a spare day I used to make him play Skyrim.

:eek::eek:

I need you to have a chat with my wife...

Advertisement