Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FORCED OUT OF NEW JOB

Options
  • 21-03-2012 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

I am still in a state of shock after walking out on my job today.
    I started a new job three days ago after having two interviews with the owner of a retail business. I was delighted to get the job as it was my first full time job after more than three years. The pay wasn't great, just above the minimum wage but enough to live on and at least I could get off social welfare. The job was in another town, 90 minutes from where I live. I intended to commute for the first while but my employer while not saying I wouldn't get the job if I didn't move insinuated it. I agreed and rented an apartment last week and paid a months rent up front and a months deposit.
    I really didn't enjoy the first couple of days but I was trying to tell myself that starting in a new job was always difficult and it would get better. Today the owner came to talk to me and basically told me that he didn't feel we had any "synergie" together and he didn't feel he could work with me. He said I had a fantastic work ethic, that I was great with the customers, I was perfect employee for that type of business but he didn't think I could see his vision. I still cannot make out exactly what the problem was except that he made it obvious that I was not wanted. To make a long story short I walked out, devastated but feeling I had a lucky escape. I did point out to him that I made a lot of changes and commitments to take the job and had not been told there was a probationary period.
    I didn't receive any money for my three days work including a bank holiday, I'm out over €1000 for the apartment I rented and I gave up a part time job to take that job.

At his own admittance all the staff are brand new and the others went because he didn't feel he could work with them anymore.

I am only venting here because I know I have no recourse. I'm left financially much worse off and my self-confidence is shattered. Not the best day of my life:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ouch, that sucks.

My sympathies.

Tomorrow you're going to need to think about practicalities. (Yup, 'gotta do it tomorrow, 'cos you need to start signing again.)

You need him to pay you for the days you actually worked. Get citizens information to help, if necessary.

And you need him to give you a P45 and a letter for welfare explaining that it was his decision and nothing you did wrong.

Good luck.

And for the future, note that in the Republic of Ireland, ALL jobs come with a 12 month probation period.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭FlowerGarden

JustMary wrote: »
    Ouch, that sucks.

My sympathies.

Tomorrow you're going to need to think about practicalities. (Yup, 'gotta do it tomorrow, 'cos you need to start signing again.)

You need him to pay you for the days you actually worked. Get citizens information to help, if necessary.

And you need him to give you a P45 and a letter for welfare explaining that it was his decision and nothing you did wrong.

Good luck.

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Thinking about this some more overnight ... is there any chance he's doing it to everyone? If all the staff are new 'cos he couldn't work with the others, then maybe he's cutting wages to the extreme by constantly having new people some of who don't get paid?

You cannot name & shame here (causes too many potential legal hassles for Boards.ie)

But maybe you should use whatever local networks you can find to investigate a little, and hopefully protect other job-seekers from the same problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

JustMary wrote: »
    Thinking about this some more overnight ... is there any chance he's doing it to everyone? If all the staff are new 'cos he couldn't work with the others, then maybe he's cutting wages to the extreme by constantly having new people some of who don't get paid?

I was thinking along the same lines. The level of turnover of staff is way too high. Also, I fail to understand why you were obliged to move to the locality. 90 mins isn't exactly a massive commute.

OP, did you get a feeling that he was going to act like this from the interview process?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Kimura

Who did you rent the apartment off,

The employer, or a friend or contact of the employer, sounds a bit odd to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭FlowerGarden

Kimura wrote: »
    Who did you rent the apartment off,

The employer, or a friend or contact of the employer, sounds a bit odd to me.

I rented the apartment privately and the landlady has been terrific. She told me today that she has been in the shop many times and every time she goes in there are different staff.

The good news is I contacted my previous employer and they are happy to have me back part time again.

Advertisement