Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor - Lossing Customer data!!!

Options
  • 21-03-2012 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭

Meteor sent me a letter today stating that they lost a lot of their customer data due to the theft of two of their laptops from one of their main offices in Parkwest in Dublin.

They state that customers should keep a close eye on the following items which they may have used to sign up to Meteor Bill pay such as:
    Utility Bills,
    Address,
    Passport,
    Email Address
    Bank Account

This is a serious breach of data protection, and as a good will gesture they are giving their customers at risk 30 euro credit to their account

:mad:I dont think this is much for the risk they are putting their customers at :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭kearney13

I know I got the same letter as well, I'm really iffy about this with fraud at an all time high...and 30 euro free credit is a joke when someone out there has nearly all our details on paper ready to scam off our names

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭paddyjoe183

I will be monitoring my accounts big time, I will be ringing them in the morning to give out about it as 30 euro is clearly not good enough! I will demanding the remainder of my contract to be paid off by them.

I know its not right whats after happening, what sensible companies don't encrypt there laptops. Ill demand more than 30 euro as well as they have next to all of my very personal details (wage slip with PPS and address, bank account and passport) and in the wrong hands that will land me or anyone else in deeep sh1te :(

Agreed! When I rang tonight, the first thing the automated voice said was 'we are a little bit busier than usuall'...... I wonder why!!!

I'll ring first thing in the morning won't be a pleasant phone call either ;)

• Advertisement

kearney13 wrote: »
    I'll ring first thing in the morning won't be a pleasant phone call either ;)

Keep me updated :D Il do likewise ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭kirving

Meh, I don't see what the big deal is.

A criminal can't do anything with your bank details afaik, but attempt to set up a direct debit as happenned when Jermey Clarkson posted his details in Top Gear magazine. But, the bank have to approve it, and the money has to go into an account - which is traceable.

Utility Bills? Rob a few of my letters from my postbox, or wheelie bin.

Passport photocopy? Not much the can really do with it. Copying a passport is pretty bloody tough and there are heaps of checks done. Anywhere I use it for ID could get the info off it.

E-mail address? Any website you ever signed up to pretty much has that.

Address? Phonebook...

I don't really see how much of that stuff can harm you really.

A criminal can't do anything with your bank details afaik, but attempt to set up a direct debit as happenned when Jermey Clarkson posted his details in Top Gear magazine. But, the bank have to approve it, and the money has to go into an account - which is traceable.

Passport photocopy? Not much the can really do with it. Copying a passport is pretty bloody tough and there are heaps of checks done. Anywhere I use it for ID could get the info off it.

Address? Phonebook...

Hey Kevin,

Anyone can walk into a phone shop for instance with these details and set up a contract in your name and walk out the door with a phone worth 600 in your name or buy things on credit from any company like argos. Its when the bills start coming in through the door and you have to go the hassel of investigating it and getting Gardai or debt collectors at your door or who knows what else.

As for banks having to approve applications, banks dont even look at this until they need to, I know of a few cases of identity fault and I dont want to be the injuried party! Its not a very nice feeling!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

Address? Phonebook...

Names on Bank Statements can be changed and rephotocopied, photos on Passports can be changed and rephotocopied, all they need is those photocopies to set up accounts in your name, get these goods on a contract, and then walk away with them. Then the burden is on you to prove that you didn't set it up, and you will forever have a flag beside your name if you ever set up an account with them again.

I work in an industry who sets up contracts using these types of IDs.. Forgeries happen at least two or three times a week, normally you can spot them, but sometimes they slip by. Identity fraud is a lucrative field for certain people.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭cjc0101

do you realise if a terrorist gets your details they can make a passport no problem in your name and then use it for god knows what and when you are on your holidays to Florida....!
    going through US customs... oh you are flagged! and before you know it, it is touch your toes time! do not know about you but being in a room with people with guns and a rubber glove on a hand which is about to get to know you very well, is not my idea of a relaxing holiday.

if I were you I would go into you bank, ask them if it is possible to block all online transactions and only allow ATM money with drawls at an agreed amount say 300 at 100 each time for example, your usual amounts and if some scammer tries to take out all your over draft, it will be blocked. if bank is snotty, only via teller transactions only.
    I know the above seems alarmist but, being on a BLACK-LIST can lead to untold hassle and even being arrested, until your Identity is proven, especially aboard, if you do not believe me check out about a Swedish man who happened to share his name with an Al Qadia (do not remember spelling) suspect had all his wages, account/assets frozen by Security Council, just an ordinary bloke with the same name, so be warned.
    Cancel your cards, and get them replaced, set up a different email for banking ect, contact your lenders and go into the Citizens Advice Buro, anyway never mind Meteor I would contact your bank/esb etc and see if they agree to add a random letter to your address, such as your house number 49, add 49a or 49q or 49h ect so they know if something phishy is going on.

If ya know a garda, or to see let them know and ask advise, can not hurt, well much.

Do not mean to scare, better safe than sorry, ps never mind Meteor´s 30 euro, see if you can bring to the small claims court for the expense/hassle of rearranging your life!
    It is worth a try, make sure they learn form this childish mistake!

The main thing is look out for yourself, and others in same situation, and remember do not get angry and panic....., get even ...!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭spicymchaggis

Got one of these letters as well for my bill pat account, no mention of any compensation but I that doesnt bother me but someone with my details does. I shred everything at home with my details on it before it gets binned. May have to give them a call, this sort of business is unacceptable

Awaiting call back from Manager! They were sappose to ring me today but the trained agents who are trained to deal with this were not available when I rang them! Thats service for ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭L0ui5e

Address? Phonebook...

It's the principle.. the company have a duty of care to it's customers and it's simply not good enough to 'lose' data. As for €30, that's a bit shabby alright.
    Has the data commissioner been informed?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

This was in the papers in early Feb so it shouldn't have been a shock really.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0210/eircom.html?view=print?view=print

chrislad wrote: »
    This was in the papers in early Feb so it shouldn't have been a shock really.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0210/eircom.html?view=print?view=print

Why are we only receiving letters now dated the 22nd of March 2012 if the incidents happened in December 2011! It makes me even more mad! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Gingernuts31

Address? Phonebook...

Not true. My wifes account was setuo for Xbox online. All the scumbag needed was her account number and she was paying for his xbox games online. She got the money back and it was traced to the netherlands but never heard anything about it. Its the fact you know someone has your personal details, its not a nice feeling, it feels the same as when a scumbag breaks into your house and is going through your personal belongings, you don't want that feeling ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

I received this letter also, but like a previous poster no mention of any compensation or good will gesture as mentioned in the first post. Do you need to ring them to get this..

It really is baffling how often this kind of thing happens.. and how the laptops are never encrypted

mise wrote: »
    I received this letter also, but like a previous poster no mention of any compensation or good will gesture as mentioned in the first post. Do you need to ring them to get this..

It really is baffling how often this kind of thing happens.. and how the laptops are never encrypted

Hi Mise, yes you need to ring them to get this good will gesture, they told me that I was allowed one months free bill but I demanded my account to be cancelled so i can move away from them and they agreed to cancel it in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Address? Phonebook...

How naive are you?

I advice you to get off the web asap. You are a risk to yourself and others. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

Hi Mise, yes you need to ring them to get this good will gesture, they told me that I was allowed one months free bill but I demanded my account to be cancelled so i can move away from them and they agreed to cancel it in the end.

Thanks paddyjoe.

I call and was told there was no one available to take my call, and that someone would call me back. About 30mins later I received an email saying that they had tried to contact me but couldnt get through, but that I would be credited 2 months off my bill. Checked today I and I had a €60 credit on the account (I'm on a €25 a month contract).

• Advertisement

mise wrote: »
    Thanks paddyjoe.

I call and was told there was no one available to take my call, and that someone would call me back. About 30mins later I received an email saying that they had tried to contact me but couldnt get through, but that I would be credited 2 months off my bill. Checked today I and I had a €60 credit on the account (I'm on a €25 a month contract).

I sapose 60 euro aint bad! I just had enough of them because there was a number of things in the past that had gone wrong for me with them and that was just the final straw! They agreed to terminate my contract which had 5 months left, Ive moved to prepay now so its one less bill in the post! :)

Advertisement