Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekly or monthly rental rates?

Options
  • 21-03-2012 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭

Looking at properties to rent on daft.ie at the moment. A lot of the properties are advertising weekly rates while others advertise monthly. Does anyone know for the weekly rates, would I just multiply this by 4 for the monthly rates or would it be weekly rent x 52 and divided by 12 to get the monthly rate? What would be the standard? Where I live at the moment was advertised as €XX per week and I pay x4 this per calender month. Anyone out there be able to tell me what is there experience when landlords only give rent rate per week?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭MariMel

its multiply by 52 and divide by 12 to get the monthly rent.
    If you only pay 4 weeks rent every month then there are 4 weeks rent you wont be paying in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

Thanks for the reply, just wondering when landlords advertise a weekly rate, is that what they expect from the tenant (i.e. (weekly rent x 52)/12)? Like I said, where I live at the moment it was advertised as €XX per week, and I pay 4 times this per calender month, but I'm guessing this isn't the norm. I've always house-shared up until now but I'm beginning to look at renting my own place. I have a strict budget (a monthly figure) and I'm trying to work out what places are within my budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

The norm is monthly from my experience anyway.

If a landlord advertises weekly then Id expect to be paying weekly. I dont really see why they would advertise weekly and then expect to actually get paid monthly (unless they somehow think they are being clever by making it look like a smaller amount or something).

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

Thanks for the replies. I've nearly always paid monthly so that's why I found the weekly rental rates a bit odd. I think its more of a ploy to make them look cheaper then actually expecting the rent to be paid weekly. Personally, I wouldn't be too keen on having to set up a DD/SO for a weekly payment when a monthly one would be a lot easier, and I definitely wouldn't want the landlord calling around once a week to collect the rent. Won't actually be moving until nearer summer so I've plenty of time to look around. Thanks for the replies :)

Advertisement