Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my beloved kerry is on her way out advice please

• 22-03-2012 12:06am

I got buffy( kerry blue) as a pup and she will be 12 in november . up until 3 years ago she was in excellent health but she then got cancer ( opereated on sucessfully hadnt spread ) she was subsequently attacked by a bull mastiff survied but 17 puncture wounds and finally devolped a rare ear imbalance again treated .

however in november she developed a cough ( kennel variety ) this has now developed into pnenomia three quarters of her lung in basically phelgm . She has been on anitbiotics and steriods since then on and off when she comes off she basically gets real sick soils in the house wont eat cough gets worst /

so my vet has said that she cant keep taking the antis as eventually she will become immune.

i know everyone says their dog is the best but she is .

I want to know how do people know when to let their pets go ? what can i do to make it easier for her ? im terrified that she will be in pain and or putting her down wont work first time . any advice appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

You let your dog go when they are better of not suffering.
    You need to take you and what you want out of it.
    Just think what is best for your dog.

That is easy for me to say but hard to do as the owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

She wont be in pain.
    It's like going under for an operation but it is an over dose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I want to know how do people know when to let their pets go ? what can i do to make it easier for her ? im terrified that she will be in pain and or putting her down wont work first time . any advice appreciated

It's one of the hardest decisions to make and I really look up to anyone who does make the decision to pts when it's in the best interest of the animal. Iv never yet had to make the decision for my own pet but I have witnessed it many times. All il say is don't be embarrassed to ball your eyes out in front of the vet, everyone does, even the grown men.

Sometimes it can be hard to get the needle in a vein il not lie, you can ask for her to be sedated first so she won't feel any of that if you like. You could also have a vet call to your house if she'd find that more comfortable.

Focus on the wonderful life you've given her. This is just one more good deed your giving her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I've been in this awful predicament twice with my cats. Both of them had cancer.

You always wonder when you'll know. But one day it will just hit you. It's time. You know it's time. And as much as you (selfishly) want them to stay a little longer, you know that you won't be doing right by your pet.

I still get emotional about the cats, even though the last one left 18 months ago. I miss him every day.

All you can do OP is make the remainder of your doggy's life as comfortable as possible. When the time comes, you'll find the strength to let your dog go. She won't be in pain. The vet will make sure of that.

And you'll know that you gave her the best possible life.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

It is the hardest decision you will have to make, and its not easy. Just this past Monday, we had to let our beloved dog go. He was ill for the past 16 months, but in general was doing very well, but since Christmas he had gotten progressively worse and despite our best efforts, and the help of our vet, we knew the time had come to let him go. It was so hard to make the call to the vet, but we are in no doubt that we did the best thing we could for him, and we are relieved we didnt leave it any longer. We just knew in our hearts it was time, and you will too. We are absolutely devastated, but knowing we didnt let him suffer is a huge comfort to us. Hugs to you and your dog.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭BettyM

Curously, I think its an easy decision to make, as seeing ones animals in pain, which you can't fix, is something I have never had a problem deciding.

We've put down 2 dogs on our kitchen floor over the years, and did it because we loved them, and not in spite of that fact, as they both had cancer and were not happy, and no cure was available. Really, it is the kindest thing anyone can do, to put a faithful and good friend out of their suffering, and they will be grateful to you. We were lucky that our vet was a friend and both digs just slipped away, relieved of their pain, and to be caused no future suffering.

Someone once said the worst thing about having pets is that you outlive them, and sometiems we have to realise that the very best thing we can do for them is to be happy that we can help them end their pain, and stop their suffereing, and be glad that we have that choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Incheerocket

All I can tell you, is that you really will 'just know' when its time to let them go, it is the very hardest decision ever, remember all the good times.

she was sick again today on the stairs .My plan is to take her to her fav beach on sat and let my ex see her then i guess i will have to say goodbye to my beloved dog never gave nothing but love

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭pjmn

Faced the same decision with our 13.5 year old golden cocker spanial last September (was with us from 4 weeks old)....

Had come through two serious operations during his life, vet (who had performed the two previous operations) advised that another one, would be one too far, and now was the time to let go...

Held his head while vet gave the injection - just went to sleep in my hand - (no hardship or stress for him)...

It's a terrible time, but you have to do what's best for her...

Best wishes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

It's so true what so many here have said, that you just know. When you have done everything you can for them and they aren't enjoying themselves anymore, you just know.
    My partner and I have also had to make the call on 2 occasions and even though you are heartbroken you don't even want the vet to talk you out of it. Because you know it's the best thing you can do for them. just make sure you are with her when it's time, and if you can, try and get the vet to come to you so that she is in familiar surroundings and she hasn't had the trauma of a visit to the vet ( which most dogs hate).
    But don't worry, you will know.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭BettyM

Part of the responsibility of ownership of a pet is to ease their suffering, and while it might be a hard thing to do it is teh correct thing to do. One of our wonderful dogs had to be put to sleep earlier this week. He was onlt 6, quite beautiful, but had not been happy for some time. When he sawthe VET we discovered that he had cancer and it was the only option. To have not put him down then, but to have kept him alive would have been the right thing for us, but not for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭SteppingStone

Sorry to hear about your dog. I am a big dog lover. Kerry Blues are a brilliant breed. I had two growing up. I have three dogs at the moment all young and in good health. I would be broken hearted if i was in your circumstance but I feel you have to do what is best for your dog. If she is in so much pain it's not fair to her and would be better at rest. As far as I know putting your dog to sleep is just an injection no pain involved. Best of luck to you and Buffy whatever you decide to do. Take care.

Advertisement