Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best & Worst County Clare towns/villages

• 22-03-2012 12:10am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this has been done here before but saw it in the Limerick and Tipp forum so I thought I might start one in my home county:)

For me I would say my favourite town would be hmm.. Ennis. It becoming a bit empty so kilfenora/ennistymon would be next.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

For me, Ennistymon is very dilapidated, there is a lot of empty but lovely shops. Lissycasey is too long and full of Gatso Vans. :D

I love Quinn, The abbey is amazing and the the commemorative plaque to Paddy Hannon is a lovely nugget of info (pardon the pun)

During the August bank holiday weekend, Kilmihil is always good, but I am a bit Biased there.

Ennis ain't bad though.

Co. Clare in general is excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

My favourites are:

Killaloe
    Doolin
    Mountshannon
    Quin
    Ennis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

County Clare is GREAT, end of thread :p

@kollegeknight: *Quin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

As an outsider, I think Sixmilebridge, Ennis, Killaloe and Kilkee are the nicest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

It's all really nice, there's no really bad places. One of the nicest counties in Ireland. North, south, east and west Clare are all totally different!

North/West= Good surf, shale rock and a fair few farms.
    West= Old English IMO, still quite nice. No surfing to be found here though! :pac:
    South= Silty estuary, nice old towns.
    East= Really nice forests, Dromore.

Ah ffs OP, you've gotten me all nostalgic! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

shannon :D:D:D:D nope

lab man wrote: »
    shannon :D:D:D:D nope
    At times I hate the place, but at others I love it! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

the airport out of it is alls thats good i think;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Worst Shannon
    Best Milltown Malbay

Strangest and most unique bit of road in Ireland, Corkscrew Hill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

For me;
    Killaloe,
    Lahinch,
    Miltown Malbay,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

East Clare is a bit dodgy, Scariff, Whitegate, Feakle.
    Strange stuff goes on there I think. Think Twin Peaks without the scenery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Corofin, the village that has everything.

Except a cash machine...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭chubba1984

Ballynacally village is a beautiful spot ;) Ballyvaughan and Killaloe are also lovely places.

Not a major fan of Kilkee, particularly in the summer.

chubba1984 wrote: »
    Ballynacally village is a beautiful spot ;) Ballyvaughan and Killaloe are also lovely places.

Not a major fan of Kilkee, particularly in the summer.
    You might aswell be in Limerick, but lets not start that arguement. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I think I like Ennis and Ennistymon best.

Worst would be Newmarket & Fergus or Shannon because they're ugly and don't have any decent pubs and the places are just shabby in general.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

summerskin wrote: »
    Corofin, the village that has everything.

Except a cash machine...

Does anyone know what's happened Spar? It look like there about to close- there's very little stock.

Has it closed down? It was a few weeks since I've been in the spar.
    I thought there was an ATM there:/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

To put a different spin on this I'm going to give my 2 cents on the GAA areas of the county, I think I've played in most of the pitches around the place.

Donbeg, great coming out through a tunnel.
    Kilkee, real sense of anticipation as you see the pitch on the way into the town.
    Tulla, the home of Clare hurling, even if it could badly do with a revamp.
    Old Clarecastle (Clare Abbey), could really do with being done up.
    Kilmaley, there's a savage slope on that pitch and you're always being ate by midgets.
    Roselvin, great sense of occasion going past the pub through the gates.
    Gorteen, personality less
    Lissycasey, I always got in a row there.
    Miltown, first time ever being sent off was there, in a hurling match
    Ennistymon, great spot, always ended up going for beers in Lehinch afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,209 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Must say Kilfenora. A lot livelier than its size would suggest and very friendly. Great spot to have a base to tour around the near villages/towns around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Ogonnelloe, is in a lovely location, i don't like the single lane bridge in kilaloe, that for me is a major drawback. Lehinch is covered in dog **** and in need a a lick of paint and upgrading if rails. Tulla and quin are ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭ShaneMc2012

buck65 wrote: »
    Strange stuff goes on there I think. Think Twin Peaks without the scenery.
    Killaloe and Cratloe are in the East of Clare and would be two of the nicest places in Clare! :)

• Advertisement

Ogonnelloe, is in a lovely location, i don't like the single lane bridge in kilaloe, that for me is a major drawback. Lehinch is covered in dog **** and in need a a lick of paint and upgrading if rails. Tulla and quin are ok.
    A new bridge costing €12 million has been approved by Minister for the Environment, Dr. Leo Varadkar so that will really help the flow of traffic through Killaloe :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The Village has got quite depressing in recent years, with that unfinished NAMA development, vacant premises along main street and the dilapidated Coach House. Hopefully something will be done with the heart of this town.

The Village has got quite depressing in recent years, with that unfinished NAMA development, vacant premises along main street and the dilapidated Coach House. Hopefully something will be done with the heart of this town.
    Where are you referring to?? Sounds like Clarecastle??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I can't stand Kilkishen. You could drive through there at anytime day or night and not see any sign of life in the place, no people and no cars...maybe a stray dog or cat if you are lucky.

Scariff is ugly as hell and scary to boot.

Ennis is probably the best town but for it's size it's not great. Shopping and nightlife is vastly over-rated.

Tuamgraney is imo the prettiest village in the county.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

buck65 wrote: »
    Strange stuff goes on there I think.

what strange stuff:confused:

Scariff is ugly as hell and scary to boot.

scary:confused: please tell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Mr_Grumpy wrote: »
    Does anyone know what's happened Spar? It look like there about to close- there's very little stock.

The ATM has been gone for over two years now. I was in last night and to say the shelves are sparse would be an understatement. There were two bottles of wine available, no chocolates hardly, and all the other shelves were almost bare too. A real shame, I bet O'Callaghan's over the road have seen a huge increase in trade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

Mr_Grumpy wrote: »

<snip>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

I haven't been to Corrofin in a while but I remember it having loads of pubs. It literally seemed like every second building was a pub. I do like it though.

The only town in Clare I don't really like is Shannon. I know it wasn't built as a town per sé but the houses look all the same and they're very old. Just seems very drab to me. That and Miltown Malbay and Quilty aren't that nice either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

What's the name of the place next to the Spar? I have a lovely meal there a couple of times, 1 of the nicest steaks I think I've ever had, Mrs. Clareman loves the Chicken Wrap there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Is it Bofey Quinns?

Advertisement