Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best & Worst County Clare towns/villages

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

Clareman wrote: »
    What's the name of the place next to the Spar? I have a lovely meal there a couple of times, 1 of the nicest steaks I think I've ever had, Mrs. Clareman loves the Chicken Wrap there.
    buck65 wrote: »
    Is it Bofey Quinns?

It could be the Corofin Arms as that would be just next to Spar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

The Corofin Arms is next to Spar.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 PSol

I'm not sure what merit there is to a thread asking for suggestions for a 'worst' town anywhere, except for offending its residents (e.g. me a lifelong Shannon-er) and putting people off coming to it (unless they're lucky enough to be employed there of course)!
    lab man wrote: »
    the airport out of it is alls thats good i think;)
    Worst would be Newmarket & Fergus or Shannon because they're ugly and don't have any decent pubs and the places are just shabby in general.
    MyKeyG wrote:
    The only town in Clare I don't really like is Shannon. I know it wasn't built as a town per sé but the houses look all the same and they're very old. Just seems very drab to me.

I'm well aware of Shannon's limitations but I'm not sure the above are warranted. Are decent pubs all that make a town 'good'?

With regards to shabby-ness, I'm not sure where in particular this refers to. When I think of the approach to Shannon from the Ballycasey roundabout, all I see is a lovely tree-lined avenue and similarly on the left turn to St. Caimin's.

Admittedly the corner of Skycourt near Lidl is in need of a revamp as the works were never finished when the car parks were redeveloped.

With regards to houses being very old, Shannon is one of the newest towns in Ireland!! The oldest houses here are probably from the 1960s and the east of the town would all be from the late 90s.

I'm sure anyone will defend their home town, but I'd prefer if this thread included some suggestions for improvements rather than general town-bashing.

Shannon gave me and thousands of others employment when there was no other employment prospects around Clare. The airport,industrial estate etc. gave such employment over the years. Pity it is quiet now though

For that reason alone I would never even think of Shannon if someone was to ask me what is the 'worst' town in Clare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Aesthetically Shannon is all wrong. It's basically a big suburb comprising entirely of housing estates, with a stagnant commercial area in the middle, and a smattering of schools dotted around the town.

The town itself isn't up to the same standard of it's airport and industrial estates. I grew up there and I have to say it was grand until you hit your teens and then it became obvious that it didn't have many facilities for young people.

But for a town it's size it doesn't have as many social problems as others with the same population.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Aesthetically Shannon is all wrong. It's basically a big suburb comprising entirely of housing estates, with a stagnant commercial area in the middle, and a smattering of schools dotted around the town.

The town itself isn't up to the same standard of it's airport and industrial estates. I grew up there and I have to say it was grand until you hit your teens and then it became obvious that it didn't have many facilities for young people.

But for a town it's size it doesn't have as many social problems as others with the same population

Really? Sources...

buck65 wrote: »
    Really? Sources...

www.ilivethere.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I wouldn't take this thread too seriously. It's just a bit of messing.

That said I know people from Shannon and they're always giving out about it. The place wasn't really planned that well. Things have improved somewhat since they upgraded the mall but there still aren't an awful lot of things to do.

Everything built during the 60's and 70's in this country was cheap and hideous so it's just unfortunate that most of the buildings in the place date from that period.

I know plenty of sound people from there and when there is something for young people to do (say, Tae Kwon Do) they embrace is with tons of enthusiasm. They've also got an excellent rugby team. The youth clubs are well attended. It could have used a cinema 20 years ago but now that phones, video games and DVDs cost half nothing the youth can probably amuse themselves for the most part without one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

It could have used a cinema 20 years ago but now that phones, video games and DVDs cost half nothing the youth can probably amuse themselves for the most part without one.

Speaking of cinemas, is it true that the knocked the one in Kilkee cos it was sinking? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

tagoona wrote: »
    Rumours are rife about that place. Looks like he's running it to get rid of stock. Cash flow problems due to other property investments.
    Staff are on protective notice.
    And there's been no cash machine there for more than two years.
    Still open though.
    A shame if it has to close, but I imagine someone would take it over as a going concern

Rumors are rumors, My girlfriend works there.....shes not on protective notice yet, It will never fail to amaze me the way storys travel :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Worst would be Newmarket & Fergus or Shannon because they're ugly and don't have any decent pubs and the places are just shabby in general.

But they have decent people in them. I donot live there but any community that comes together to organise an event like Packie Ryan Memorial and raise in excess of €60,000 for charity more then makes up for these small shortcomings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

New market is a nice little village. And I have to agree how great the pakie ryan 10k is. Lost my 10k virginity there a few years back and twas a great place to start.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

ger664 wrote: »
    But they have decent people in them. I donot live there but any community that comes together to organise an event like Packie Ryan Memorial and raise in excess of €60,000 for charity more then makes up for these small shortcomings.

I have some very good friends from Newmarket & Fergus. It wouldn't be on my list of worst people or worst at fundraising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Where are you referring to?? Sounds like Clarecastle??

Yes. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭melonstar

Fanore has to be my favourite place in Clare. Nothing like sitting outside O'Donoghues with a drink on a summers day. The beach, dunes and caravan park are great as well. Also the amazing views from the top of Slieve Elva!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

O' Callaghan's Mills... What a strange place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

CiaranMT wrote: »
    O' Callaghan's Mills... What a strange place.

True, that. I grew up there. Lovely scenery and lakes but some very odd people... one of whom cut down a pub door some years back with a chainsaw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Palmach

Kilrush is the biggest dump in Clare. Chock full of scobes and skangers. Clarecastle, Shannon and Quilty fill in the minor placings for sheer scobbiness. Ennis is a fine town and one of the best county towns. Carrigaholt is a lovely village and Kilkee is pretty well preserved and has a certain charm. Lehinch sadly doesn't have any charm left but has a certain buzz as does Milltown. Quin is nice as is Killaloe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Have to say I love Quin, Killaloe and Lahinch. Would love to spend a week or two in Lahinch with friends, the nightlife always seems to be good craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

Palmach wrote: »
    Kilrush is the biggest dump in Clare. Chock full of scobes and skangers. Clarecastle, Shannon and Quilty fill in the minor placings for sheer scobbiness. Ennis is a fine town and one of the best county towns. Carrigaholt is a lovely village and Kilkee is pretty well preserved and has a certain charm. Lehinch sadly doesn't have any charm left but has a certain buzz as does Milltown. Quin is nice as is Killaloe.

I wasn't going to get involved in this thread because it give an opportunity for characters to spout off their predjudices, maligning people and places :mad:

Answer me this - which town has seen someone stabbed to death in the main street, machettes and weapons brandished in school grounds, battles in the town's graveyard - and I'll give you a clue it's not Kilrush. People in glass houses...

• Advertisement

WakeyTyke wrote: »
    I wasn't going to get involved in this thread because it give an opportunity for characters to spout off their predjudices, maligning people and places :mad:

Answer me this - which town has seen someone stabbed to death in the main street, machettes and weapons brandished in school grounds, battles in the town's graveyard - and I'll give you a clue it's not Kilrush. People in glass houses...

I'm not taking a pot shot at Kilrush but when's the last time somebody has been shot on a main road housing estate, 4 men stabbed on the same night etc etc.

Both Ennis and Kilrush are large towns and have there problems so there is no reason to be taking cheap shots at eachother,
    I do not understand the reason for having such a thread like this anyway.

Carazy wrote: »
    I'm not taking a pot shot at Kilrush but when's the last time somebody has been shot on a main road housing estate, 4 men stabbed on the same night etc etc.

Both Ennis and Kilrush are large towns and have there problems so there is no reason to be taking cheap shots at eachother,
    I do not understand the reason for having such a thread like this anyway.

Feakle.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 scrawnyass

Palmach wrote: »

From what fine Beverly-Hills type town do you reside my learned amadan?:D.Ill be blunt.As a resident of Ennis let me tell you there are more"scobes and skangers" here than in all the other towns in Clare put together. You say Clarecastle is "sheer scobbiness" too. Its practically joined on to Ennis FFS. But Ennis is a "fine town" and Clarecastle is Skobesville? Pull the other one mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Most places in Clare are very nice, just the scumbags who live in certain area's ruin it. If they would just dissappear that'd be nice. :)

If I ever go for election, I'm warning you now not to vote for me...

Daniel S wrote: »
    Most places in Clare are very nice, just the scumbags who live in certain area's ruin it. If they would just dissappear that'd be nice. :)

If I ever go for election, I'm warning you now not to vote for me...
    I've plenty of experience of these scumbags.Theres no "certain areas" anymore.If you live in any estate anywhere,you could find yourself living next-door to a scumbag if the house is up for rent.Its a lawless country.Certain members of society can do what they want.Law-abiding PAYE workers will be screwed to the wall.Its the way it is.I know a woman who bought a house and a few weeks later a man with 60-something previous convictions moved in next door.His accommodation is paid for him and his family by the state.This man never worked a day in his life.Yet hes put up in a fine house coz his partner has kids.This individual is currently locked up for a very serious crime.When he gets out he'll be right back into his nice home, next-door to a woman who works to pay her mortgage.This is modern Ireland.Its a mad place where skobes have more rights than any law-abiding citizen.It makes me sick at times.

scrawnyass wrote: »
    I've plenty of experience of these scumbags.Theres no "certain areas" anymore.If you live in any estate anywhere,you could find yourself living next-door to a scumbag if the house is up for rent.Its a lawless country.Certain members of society can do what they want.Law-abiding PAYE workers will be screwed to the wall.Its the way it is.
    Hmm... maybe I might get voted in if there's more semi right-wing people! :pac:

Daniel S wrote: »
    Hmm... maybe I might get voted in if there's more semi right-wing people! :pac:

Voted in for what exactly:confused:

scrawnyass wrote: »
    Voted in for what exactly:confused:
    Haven't thought that far ahead. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭TomKat

+
    Ennis
    Lahinch
    Kilkee
    Fanore
    Doolin
    Milltown
    Kildysart

-
    Ennistymon
    Kilrush
    Shannon
    Clarecastle

Sixmilebridge looks nice but I hear a lot of scum have moved in?

Never been to Killaloe, but I hear good things

• Advertisement

TomKat wrote: »
    Sixmilebridge looks nice but I hear a lot of scum have moved in?

Actually the opposite, a lot of the 'scum' are leaving or have left. Some are being relocated or have left by way of avoiding doing prison. Funny thing is they are indigenous. Besides having a tiny minority of scobes it's a grand wee village, punching way above it's weight.

Advertisement