Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best & Worst County Clare towns/villages

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

scrawnyass wrote: »
    From what fine Beverly-Hills type town do you reside my learned amadan?:D.Ill be blunt.As a resident of Ennis let me tell you there are more"scobes and skangers" here than in all the other towns in Clare put together. You say Clarecastle is "sheer scobbiness" too. Its practically joined on to Ennis FFS. But Ennis is a "fine town" and Clarecastle is Skobesville? Pull the other one mate.

Touched a nerve have we? :pac:

The thread isn't meant to be taken too seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Palmach

WakeyTyke wrote: »
    I wasn't going to get involved in this thread because it give an opportunity for characters to spout off their predjudices, maligning people and places :mad:

Answer me this - which town has seen someone stabbed to death in the main street, machettes and weapons brandished in school grounds, battles in the town's graveyard - and I'll give you a clue it's not Kilrush. People in glass houses...

I don't know which town tell me. Furthermore this thread is all about opinions and if there are two towns I would only visit at night with a stab vest it would be Kilrush and Quilty. You should see the characters hanging around the streets. Ennis like all big towns has its scobe population but it is not nearly as bad as the to above named towns.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭TomKat

Actually the opposite, a lot of the 'scum' are leaving or have left. Some are being relocated or have left by way of avoiding doing prison. Funny thing is they are indigenous. Besides having a tiny minority of scobes it's a grand wee village, punching way above it's weight.

Sounds good! Looks nice whenever I've passed through though. It is ducks you have to watch out for??

• Registered Users Posts: 49 scrawnyass

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Touched a nerve have we? :pac:

The thread isn't meant to be taken too seriously.

You havent touched a nerve.;)Ennis can be quite rowdy though.I live in Ennis and its nuts at times.Certain members of society can attack people with slash hooks and the like.;)In primary schools.;).Less of your guff about other towns being scumholes when crap like that happens on our doorstep.;)

scrawnyass wrote: »
    Certain members of society can attack people with slash hooks and the like.;)In primary schools.;)

Doctors? Shopkeepers? Mechanics?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 AlcatrazLogan

I grew up in Shannon and when I was a teenager I didn't like it much because there wasn't a lot to do really. Sure there's a lot of sports activities around but they're not much help if you're not sporty.

Anyway, after college I moved to Dublin and I've grown to realize what is so appealing about Shannon. It's a very quiet town and also very green; there are open fields and trees everywhere. It is a lot like a suburb and I think that appeals to families working around Clare and Limerick.

For myself though, my favourite towns in Clare would probably be Fanore and Ballyvaughan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is Shannon still full of nordies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I don't know about living in Kilrush but it's a place I always enjoy visiting and maybe showing someone around if I've got a visitor because it's still got beautiful buildings and shopfronts. Many other towns in Ireland have knocked almost everything old and attractive in the name of progress. The walled gardens just out of town and the seafront are lovely as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭allimac

fryup wrote: »
    is Shannon still full of nordies?
    Nope.Full of polish now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

TomKat wrote: »
    Sixmilebridge looks nice but I hear a lot of scum have moved in?

Actually the opposite, a lot of the 'scum' are leaving or have left. Some are being relocated or have left by way of avoiding doing prison. Funny thing is they are indigenous. Besides having a tiny minority of scobes it's a grand wee village, punching way above it's weight.
    sadly,I think you are incorrect on that point. major rumours doing the rounds of more trouble makers been granted housing in the village. not sure which estates yet but not good news. Bridge has enough trouble with local troublemakers/loiterers without adding to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭ShaneMc2012

sadly,I think you are incorrect on that point. major rumours doing the rounds of more trouble makers been granted housing in the village. not sure which estates yet but not good news. Bridge has enough trouble with local troublemakers/loiterers without adding to it.

As usual the council have ruined another perfectly fine village... Exact same as in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BnB

Scariff is ugly as hell and scary to boot.

Scariff is a fine town. It's always very busy during the day. The square area has cleaned up well over the last few years. Pubs are gone very quite alright but what small town hasn't seen that happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Patrick 74

@Palmach.. you seem to have a bit of an L.A complex.Im from Quilty and would like you to exlpain why you think you need a stab vest to go out in Quilty which is a tiny village with one pub?
    Kilrush is a large town just like any other and I have to say one of the best kept towns in Clare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 AnimalCracker

+1 on Cratloe
    Dont know about anywhere else though (from Dublin :P )... My cousins are from Cratloe and I loved the forest and lake and all the greenery, heard its gotten quite snobby though recently E.G. SUV's that have never seen mud all over the place and Massive Houses on every corner.. Still love the place though :)

Patrick 74 wrote: »
    @Palmach.. you seem to have a bit of an L.A complex.Im from Quilty and would like you to exlpain why you think you need a stab vest to go out in Quilty which is a tiny village with one pub?
    Kilrush is a large town just like any other and I have to say one of the best kept towns in Clare.

I spoke to a bus driver who used to do a school run through Quilty. He told me some stories I can tell you. After Kilmurray lost a county final 4 years or so agoa lad I know, no shrinking violet went to Quilty. As he approached the tavern someone was sent through the window. When he looked it three women had thrown him out. He left quickly. Kilrush has had more money pumped into it than almost any other town in the county. They have 24 FAS employees dedicated to sprucing it up. Yes 24. Why it gets prioritised over other towns is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Patrick 74

Never heard about a guy thrown out through a window by three women but I will look into that story.Im sure there isnt a busdriver or a taxi driver in the country wouldnt be able write a book of stories.I will get back to you on the first one....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭sid40

Anyone notice the change in Scariff recently? Passed through it twice in the last month and there seemed to be a lot of painting going on. Big improvement in the place, looks good. Was there something going on there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BnB

sid40 wrote: »
    Anyone notice the change in Scariff recently? Passed through it twice in the last month and there seemed to be a lot of painting going on. Big improvement in the place, looks good. Was there something going on there?
    Michael Deeeeeee was visiting there last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

I have to say they did a great job but the wall that used to be blue just past Áras bhrian bórú in Tuamgraney was way nicer blue than the colour it is now painted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Palmach wrote: »
    I spoke to a bus driver who used to do a school run through Quilty. He told me some stories I can tell you. After Kilmurray lost a county final 4 years or so agoa lad I know, no shrinking violet went to Quilty. As he approached the tavern someone was sent through the window. When he looked it three women had thrown him out. He left quickly. Kilrush has had more money pumped into it than almost any other town in the county. They have 24 FAS employees dedicated to sprucing it up. Yes 24. Why it gets prioritised over other towns is beyond me.

Tall tale re Quilty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭willow tree

sid40 wrote: »
    yeah i thought it looked great.. i hoped the cinema was re opening, it looks really cool, art deco-ish.. i really love the grainey shop in scarrif & the playground..:)

also love kilaloe, fanore is my favourite beach, doolin for a pint, tulla is a friendly bustly village..;) i;m from ennis and have mixed feelings about it, its a pretty town with mostly a great atmosphere but sat night near the queens/square at a certain time lets it down sometimes but i guess thats typical of towns in ireland at 2 in the morning:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

I was in holidays allot in Clare and found most towns to be very nice but my favourite would have to be Doolin.

I was also in Quilty a good few times and would not surprise me if that story is true. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭cakeisgood

I think Shannon is the worst. There is very little to do. Considering there is such a large population there is very little amenitites. It has very few pubs. Small villages have more pubs then Shannon!! Its also a very depressing looking place, just housing estates and industries. Some very nice people living there but the place itself is horrible. Learning to drive so don't have to keep living there

Best town is Ennis. A lot to see and do and everything is easy to get to. Love Lahinch too, one of Clares most beautiful spots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭haybob

Snowc wrote: »
    I was in holidays allot in Clare and found most towns to be very nice but my favourite would have to be Doolin.

I was also in Quilty a good few times and would not surprise me if that story is true. :eek:

Doolin has been destroyed by over development and the pier is horrible with no parking, slack toilets and huge crowds.

Nice people and great music

Ennistymon is underrated
    Kilfenora is lovely but there is shag all in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

Mr_Grumpy wrote: »
    Does anyone know what's happened Spar? It look like there about to close- there's very little stock.
    Has it closed down? It was a few weeks since I've been in the spar.
    I thought there was an ATM there:/
    tagoona wrote: »
    Rumours are rife about that place. Looks like he's running it to get rid of stock. Cash flow problems due to other property investments.
    Staff are on protective notice.
    And there's been no cash machine there for more than two years.
    Still open though.
    A shame if it has to close, but I imagine someone would take it over as a going concern
    Rumors are rumors, My girlfriend works there.....shes not on protective notice yet, It will never fail to amaze me the way storys travel
    Drove through Corofin today and all the doors shut.......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,209 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Kilfenora may be small but you have the burren centre a few nice pubs some music most nights and some interesting sites about. Depends what you are into I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭haybob

saabsaab wrote: »
    Kilfenora may be small but you have the burren centre a few nice pubs some music most nights and some interesting sites about. Depends what you are into I suppose.

Where would you get a bit of lunch except Vaughans and I associate that with the sheep mart, just incase anyone get offended vaughans in Kilfeneora is good for food

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Carazy wrote: »
    Drove through Corofin today and all the doors shut.......

Spar closes at 3pm on sundays now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

summerskin wrote: »
    Spar closes at 3pm on sundays now.

Closed as of today. Its a pity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Closed as of today. Its a pity.

the post office must be staying open though, surely?

Advertisement