Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thread titles in search results.

Options
  • 22-03-2012 12:21am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

With new search, you are truncating thread titles over a certain length and appending '...'

This can be a pain sometimes when trying to find something really specific.

Case in point is, as part of a mod duty, I needed to find specific posts reported by a certain user about a certain other user and this caused a bit of frustration as it meant that in a substantial number of the search results, I had to actually click the link in order to see if it was relevant.

In the results from reported posts, the thread titles tend to take up a lot of real estate given their format:

i.e. the full title is:
    [forum name] > [thread title] - post by [reported user] reported by [reporting user].

This often gets truncated to:
    [forum name] > [thread title] - post by [rep...
    or
    [forum name] > [thread tit...
    or
    forum name] > [thread title] - post by [reported user] reporte...

depending on the length of the thread title.

The search in question is here (mods only).

Could you consider adding tooltips that give the full thread title on a search result page where the thread titles are truncated?

Alternatively, could you just allow them to wrap?

This is probably not a biggie for most general users but would be useful for mods in the situation above.

Historically I would have reverted to old search but this option is no more as the 'old search' hamsters are off enjoying their well deserved free OAP travel passes to attend various bingo and blue rinse events around the internet. :)

Anyways, just a suggestion, I'm sure there must be more than me that would benefit from this.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Boards.ie: Rónán

Hey Steve,

I've added pre-formatted title tooltips to the thread titles in the main results page, updates have just gone live now.

Rónán

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Awesome! that's perfect. :cool:

Thanks a mill Ronan.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement