Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volunteering in Balbriggan and Surrounds

Options
  • 22-03-2012 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

The other half's sister is currently unemployed in Poland so we thought rather than having her doing nothing there she could stay with us and perhaps volunteer somewhere. We want her to develop her English while here- she already has good English but she can struggle with accents and the speed people talk at. This is something we'll work on with her.
    Also the work environment here is much friendlier than you'd typically find in Poland so we think this would be a good experience for her and something which will help her self-confidence (she's a little shy).

So we thought some volunteering would be a great idea for her. We're gonna see if the St. Vincents shop in Balbriggan needs anyone but I'm wondering where else a person could volunteer their time in and around the area. Are there any old folks homes etc? If anyone has any ideas I'd be most appreciative.

She won't have a car so will be reliant on public transport so I guess Balbriggan, Balrothery, Skerries, Swords and Drogheda are possibilities.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Drop a PM to cathy01.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

There are loads of opportunities in the Balbriggan area alone. Just let her know that most organisations require their volunteers to be Garda vetted so she might like to have her records from Poland to hand. People who haven't lived in Ireland all their life find it harder to get the clearance but it is doable. Each organisation will apply for the certificate themselves but having her records or easy access to them will speed up the process.

If English isn't her first language you might like to check out the Failte Balbriggan project (in the old St George's School opposite the Health Centre) for some free resources & courses.

Advertisement